Am I crazy? Hexohm vs dna200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamSwish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Detroit
I love the look of the hexohm. I like the concept of the lifetime warranty. But I love shiny new tech toys. In my 3-4 months of just vaping I've gone from the mvp to the subox to the sig75w. ..loving the more advanced tech. I saw pictures of the volcano dna 200 and I'm just wondering if I'm just getting sucked into the hype of the hexohm. My next mod purchase will probably be my last for awhile. I'd love to hear people's thoughts.

Martnargh

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Miami
Dna200 is temp control for nickel and titanium wires plus it goes up to 200watts. So its more sophisticated in that sense.
I own a hexohm and personally i see no reason to upgrade. Im more of a mech guy but will use the hexohm sometimes.
It has no screen and at .3 ohm will hit 120watts. Ive used it as low as .17 with potentiometer turned down, but its not recommended.
Its been in the toilet, in the rain, stepped on and dropped but still works like a champ, and when it does bust, probably by abusing the xhip the way i do, it will be replaced.
Plus, dna200 has built in battery, which i dont particularly care for. I like changing out batteries at my leisure.
All that being said, id go with the hexohm, then again im not a fan of tc vaping, so the feature is useless to me.

hypocritelecteur

Jun 23, 2015
I've only been vaping for about 9 months now but when I first started I mistakenly placed too much stock in the power device's role in the quality of the vape.
Chipsets matter a little bit, but it's 90% your atomizer and your building skills. Think of the mod as a glorified battery tube. You want it reliable and built well. Temp control and ohm range are the most significant features of the mod. Personally I still think temp control is a little young to jump on the hype train until more serious investigation is done into the safety of the newer coiling materials.

What's actually going to significantly affect your vape is what device you put on top of the battery and how well it's built.

Take that dough and invest it into RBAs. Wait a few months before jumping mods thinking the next one is going to make the magic happen.

Riku

Verified Member
Jan 30, 2015
Chicago
about a week ago i was asking the same question myself after i sold my rdna40. i'm not really a fan of nickel and i made the mistake of adopting the dna40 early, so i went ahead and bought a blue hexohm v2.1 and couldn't be happier. Built like a champ, the magnificent button, lifetime warranty, and just the overall simplicity of it makes it a mod i think i will keep for a long time. yesterday i got the email for the dna200 by vaporshark i was waiting for.... kind of regret not waiting but i know that's just the shinnyitis talking.

LiquidDave

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2014
United States
www.liquidvpn.com
I have a hexohm 2.1 and it just sits on my display now. The DNA 200 is light years ahead of anything on the market today. It hits as hard as any mech w/ full batteries @ the same wattage and does TC better than anything else I have come across. The preheat feature makes TC a better vape than kanthal hands down. I own the Opus 200 and have already ordered the VT 200 and will eventually get the volcano when it is released because the chip is that good.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I jumped onto the temp control band wagon with both feet. I owned a Vaporshark rDNA40 and DNA40, and a Hana V4s. Never really used any of them in temp control mode much and sold them all. At the same time I had a Hexohm V2 and recently added a 2.1, so that's how I feel about the subject.

Temp control seems gimmicky to me, but that is merely my opinion. Besides that, I never got the vape I wanted, and the mod kept cutting off in the middle of my lung hits. I'm sure somebody will chime in and tell me I was using it wrong, but I really just didn't see the benefit and was tired of fiddling with it. And for what? I rarely get dry hits on any of my mods. How hard is it to keep your cotton wet?

As far as the Hexohm warranty - I was the second owner of the V2. One day I tested the voltage output and found that with fresh batteries and the pot at maximum it was more than one volt below where it should have been. I contacted Craving Vapor via email, explained the problem and that I was the second owner and they told me to send it in. It was fixed at no charge (other than the shipping cost) and returned in about two weeks.

Reactions: Riku

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
I jumped onto the temp control band wagon with both feet. I owned a Vaporshark rDNA40 and DNA40, and a Hana V4s. Never really used any of them in temp control mode much and sold them all. At the same time I had a Hexohm V2 and recently added a 2.1, so that's how I feel about the subject.

Temp control seems gimmicky to me, but that is merely my opinion. Besides that, I never got the vape I wanted, and the mod kept cutting off in the middle of my lung hits. I'm sure somebody will chime in and tell me I was using it wrong, but I really just didn't see the benefit and was tired of fiddling with it. And for what? I rarely get dry hits on any of my mods. How hard is it to keep your cotton wet?

As far as the Hexohm warranty - I was the second owner of the V2. One day I tested the voltage output and found that with fresh batteries and the pot at maximum it was more than one volt below where it should have been. I contacted Craving Vapor via email, explained the problem and that I was the second owner and they told me to send it in. It was fixed at no charge (other than the shipping cost) and returned in about two weeks.

To add on to this. You were in fact, using it correctly. The way I see it, temp control devices are geared more towards flavor chasers who would prefer not to change their wick out every other day. I typically recommend that cloud chasers stay away, as the mod will likely cut off half way through a pull.

I have an almost equal number of mechanical, temp control, and standard VW mods. I used the temp control mods exclusively for about 3 months, but recently started using my mechanical mods. They all have their pros and cons. Figure out what you're looking for, and buy it.
I'm considering the Hexohm myself...that button, it's just so tempting!

To add on to this. You were in fact, using it correctly. The way I see it, temp control devices are geared more towards flavor chasers who would prefer not to change their wick out every other day. I typically recommend that cloud chasers stay away, as the mod will likely cut off half way through a pull.

I have an almost equal number of mechanical, temp control, and standard VW mods. I used the temp control mods exclusively for about 3 months, but recently started using my mechanical mods. They all have their pros and cons. Figure out what you're looking for, and buy it.
I'm considering the Hexohm myself...that button, it's just so tempting!

I swore that duel claptons on my troll at 0.4 with a chuff was the apex of my cloud-makery. Around the same time I had picked up the ipv3li and some nickle, so I wrapped a single and was getting some decent cloud at 0.09, and it used a lot less juice. But it was not the same as duel clapton rda, not the oomph I wanted.

The Arctic tank with 0.2 duel vertical stock coil made me some very nice clouds at 80w, but it was hot and quick.

.. then I got a Super Tank and decided to throw caution to the wind and get the ni200 coil pack without researching the tank.

And holy wow, I was impressed.

50J, 500f, 0.15ohm. I now can make gigantic fluffy white clouds at work without worrying about walking around with RDA in my pocket getting jammed up or messed. It's such a cool and thick vape, I found good TC I can work with!

(side note, I noticed that TC vaping on the ipv3li is a lot smoother and cooler then on my x cube II, does the chipset really make that much of a difference ?)

Reactions: GrandSam

madangus

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2015
Chicago-land
The hex does have a great quality feel and is very nice to hold. I have a 2 and 2.1, the new metal boxes are awesome, great color, smooth, nice and rounded. Better pot. The only gripe i have is the sled pins will mangle battery wrap if you are not very careful.

There is something nice about the simplicity too.

Get both? ;)

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
I swore that duel claptons on my troll at 0.4 with a chuff was the apex of my cloud-makery. Around the same time I had picked up the ipv3li and some nickle, so I wrapped a single and was getting some decent cloud at 0.09, and it used a lot less juice. But it was not the same as duel clapton rda, not the oomph I wanted.

The Arctic tank with 0.2 duel vertical stock coil made me some very nice clouds at 80w, but it was hot and quick.

.. then I got a Super Tank and decided to throw caution to the wind and get the ni200 coil pack without researching the tank.

And holy wow, I was impressed.

50J, 500f, 0.15ohm. I now can make gigantic fluffy white clouds at work without worrying about walking around with RDA in my pocket getting jammed up or messed. It's such a cool and thick vape, I found good TC I can work with!

(side note, I noticed that TC vaping on the ipv3li is a lot smoother and cooler then on my x cube II, does the chipset really make that much of a difference ?)

The chipset can sometimes make a difference. What a few people forget is that temp-sensing isn't an exact science in the vape industry. Two different chips, set to the same temperature, may behave differently. For instance, my rDNA 40's chip differs from my clone DNA 40 chip. With both set to 420 degrees, the rDNA 40 cuts off much later than the clone chip. Also, the clone chip, set to the same temperature and wattage, and using the same RDA as the authentic DNA 40 chip, will produce more vapor. It all comes down to how the chips were configured by the manufacturer.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I'm in the camp that replaces their wick and recoils every ~2weeks :w00t: (if I need to or not):thumb:

Different chips do regulate differently and have different limitations. I have one TC mod that takes up to 10seconds to reach temperature. The problem with that is that it has a default 10second 'hit timer' (sigh). This device is mostly useless to me. Then there's the little TC40 which has been reported to have a current limitation that limits the startup power to <40W on builds <0.15ohms. Other devices can have limitations as well.

Then there's the wire and the "build". I try to hit 0.15-0.30ohms but have to use 8-12 spaced wraps (Ni200) of as small as 32AWG to fit it in some of my RBA's. To small of a ID and to much ramping power the vape "pogo sticks" on me. To large of an ID and it takes forever for the coil to heat up. It can be a royal PITA.

Thankfully for me I went straight from "toodle puffing" Nautilus tanks @ 8-10W to TC regulated mods and tanks and have not had much of an issue. I love TC.

While I've been able to coax some decent "clouds" out of some of my TC builds I think most would agree that a mech mod, VV/VW and Kanthal A1 is much easier to create clouds with.

sig-cmt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 28, 2015
    HoustΩn, TX
    My next mod purchase will probably be my last for awhile.
    That is what we all say after a series of purchases over a short period of time. As technology advances, so will your desires.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts.
    If you have the coin to toss in the direction of a HexOhm, then you have the coin to toss in the direction of both the HexOhm and the LAVABOX. If these devices were closer in similarity, then I would recommend that you choose one between the two. But because they are very different in their approach towarards powering vaping wire, I would recommend that you choose both. You will never understand the nuances between the Okami and Evolv chipsets without first-hand experience. Do I have a HexOhm to speak from first-hand experience? No. But that is because I dislike regulated VV/VW boxes. And if I were to choose a regulated VV/VW, I would look towards the RapGod before the HexOhm. FYI, TC vaping on titanium wire is awesome. Think of me as the devil over your right shoulder urging you to go both ways: HexOhm and LAVABOX. Do it. Just do it.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread