Am I one of the only new 801 users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckB

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Uvalde, Texas
I'm beginning to think that I made a mistake wanting to try out the 801 pen style. I read a little bit (it's far and sparse) on the forums that people love their pen styles, and I have seen mods (Janty box) that are 801 based, but finding just basic help on getting started with one just isn't there. It seems that the KR808 and Joye 510 have pushed everything else out of the picture.

I'm not a new vaper, I've been vaping for 6 months and am very happy with my L88B and 510 models and don't really need another device, but I want to expand my horizons. I have already purchased this device and now I want to get the most out of it.

The problem I'm having is with wicking. When I first fill a cart it wicks great for the first dozen puffs or so and then falls off. I've tried the factory polyfill, blue foam, and Fluval filter foam (not the cleaning pads as they aren't available here). With the size of the cart I'm sure that its an issue of fine tuning the filler and all of the above should work. I did get some advice in one forum to use the Fluval cleaning pads, but no hints beyond that. I do very much appreciate that bit of information, but I need actual information on how you use Fluval or blue foam or poly fill or xxxxxx. I've not found anything about what size of plug to use for the HighPing mod, or how to cut the blue foam or Fluval.

I've messed around with different cart mods for this thing for three weeks and nothing is working consistently. I know that someone out there has one working, knows what they have their carts stuffed with, and can read a ruler. I'd like to know what filler they are using and the size of that filler, and use that as a starting point to get this working for me. Sorry if that sounded pushy, but if I was asking the same question about a 510, there are dozens of links with dimensions and pictures and videos showing how.

I don't want to have to drip with my 801, if that's the only real option, well, I've got adapters, so I have extra batteries for my 510 parts and I'll write off my attempt at the 801 as a loss.

There has to be some 801 user out there that has made this thing work. I need advise from that person. I need to know if I my expectations from this are too high, or if I have it set up wrong. My expectation is to be able to get 6 or 8 good puffs off this thing without waiting minutes or getting the dry atty taste. If this is only capable of one or two puffs every five minutes, then my expectations are too high and this just isn't for me, but I think it can work with one or two puffs a minute. I tend to vape similar to how I smoked, I'll chain puff for a couple of minutes then stop. I may take a puff or two between sessions but its the wicking issue during sessions that the problem. The first two or three puffs are great, then it's the dry atty taste, even with a full cart.

It's not the end of the world if I don't get this worked out but I'd really like to have the experience that other are having that are successful with this device. I know it will be different, but I want it to work consistently.

Mr.Self_Destruct

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2010
Queens, NY
That's an atty I would like to use as well. I can't help you in anyway, but would be interested to learn more. I too have an l88b and 510. I now use an ego with 510 ,lr 510, 901, and lr 901 attys'.Now I would like to experience the 801 as well. I use marineland blue foam in my carts and it works very well. I know the 801 carts are huge, so I really don't know how to use the foam with it.

Klasy

May 29, 2010
Joplin, Missouri
I have an auto 801 penstyle and love it. I use the highping cart mod and get good flavor and tons of vapor. Wish I could help you figure out why you're having probs. I got mine at esmokey treats and have had it little over a month now. I make a little bit of a mess refilling but it doesn't leak on me.

I'm beginning to think everyone just has better luck with certain models and vendors than others. I can't refill a V4L carto and get good results no matter what method I try, but do fine with filling 510's.

I'm sure someone on here can figure out what's up tho. I know I've learned a lot from the peeps here

ChuckB

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Uvalde, Texas
Thanks for your replys. This is typical of what I'm finding out there googling this. A lot of people want to know but no one wants to give an answer.

Edit: Deleted my reply because it was unnecessarily snarky and just showed my level of frustration with this. There was nothing of value in the comment.

And all replies are appreciated!

Last edited:

ChuckB

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Uvalde, Texas
Klasy: Would you mind, the next time you refill one of your carts, tell me what filler you are using and the dimentions of the filler. Do you put a straw under the plug? Is there any other special thing that you do. I use th HighPing mod on my 510 with no issues, just cant get it to work with the 801.

Thanks, I appreciate you reply

Klasy

May 29, 2010
Joplin, Missouri
I use the fluval. I don't have anything handy to measure at the moment (moved and still haven't unpacked everything) but I start out with the filler that comes with the cart and cut it in half and save half to measure with when I cut my fluval. I put about 13 drops in the cart then put the filler in and add another 2 drops on top of the filler

Forgot to add all I use is the filler I don't use a straw or anything else.

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    I really like 801s and it lasted me a long time when I used those carts (I am a dripper now cause it is easier). IMO, the 801 carts are the best of the carts. I used the polyfill, have to make sure it is filled but not packed tight. One thing you will get is condensation which can result in leaks unless you wipe off the outside of the cart every time you add liquid. Sometimes the filler is packed too tight when you get them so pull it out, fluff it and cut off any excess. hth

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 26, 2010
    CA, USA
    I really like 801s and it lasted me a long time when I used those carts (I am a dripper now cause it is easier). IMO, the 801 carts are the best of the carts. I used the polyfill, have to make sure it is filled but not packed tight. One thing you will get is condensation which can result in leaks unless you wipe off the outside of the cart every time you add liquid. Sometimes the filler is packed too tight when you get them so pull it out, fluff it and cut off any excess. hth

If you like how the 801 atty vapes, but drip and don't like how big they are, you may be interested in this new shorty style 801 designed for dripping. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ikenvape/105256-shhhh-wee-one-sleeping.html

Personally, I like the big carts. I stuff them with foam instead of polyfil. The marineland blue foam sheets are too thin for these big carts, so i picked up another foam product to cut pieces from that are wide enough. It takes a little trial and error to get them cut down to the right size. The viscosity of the liquid and the particular foam cell size matters too so I don't think there's a fixed dimension that will work in all cases. I cut rectangular blocks...

- not as long as the 801 cart is deep (this dimension is least important)
    - 13mm on one side (this is wider than the cart's opening)
    - 9mm on the other (this is about the same size as the cart's opening)

I compress it along that 13mm dimension to put it in the cart.

Last edited:

ChuckB

ECF Veteran
    Apr 1, 2010
    Uvalde, Texas
    Sorry I haven't checked back in with success or failure, but been busy with work( damn how that catches up with ya) and grandkiddos.

I have tried the HighPing mod again, this time with out the straw. Still having the issue of a couple of great hits then dry atty. I will be going to SanAntonio next week and will get the correct FluVal foam.

This 801 is really nice and if I didn't vape like a freight train I think it work work just fine with the stock filler. I'm just one of those crazy people that sometime have to vape two 510's because they get too hot. Just to make it a little harder to find my spot with this, I hate dripping or the 801 would be the goto device for me because I really like the flavor and vapor when it's working.

This isn't my only PV, and I'm really satisfied with the ones that I do have, just want to add this one to the stable before I grab up 901, KR808, etc. And when I do get this figured out I will post exactly what I did, dimensions of the fill, and what it is. I know that it won't work for everyone but it'll put another starting point out there for someone.

And that is why I really appreciate all of your suggestions! Vape happy!

nubee

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 24, 2009
    IL, USA
    I went to an 801 almost a year ago with my first JStick and haven't switched since. Yes, keeping the cart full and not flooding is a real trick. What works for me is keeping the filler clean and fresh/new. Seems like once a small "plug" of whatever forms at the mouth of the cart (I think the filler softens and sticks together) everything you fill/top off just comes right out into the atty.

So I rinse my filler nightly and let air dry. Change my filler once a week with new. Fill the bottom of cart 1/2 way, add filler, top off for start of day and then just top off for rest of the day. I have found that a paper clip slid along the side helps once in awhile to make sure all the lower filler is getting some juice.

I have tried the DART mod and like that but again, once the filler plug start happening, it's all back to the fill/flood mode.

And occasionally I blow out my atty just to make sure things aren't filling up down there.

Some juice work better than others - Kent is tough to use and Halo Freedom just shines!

$0.02

ChuckB

ECF Veteran
    Apr 1, 2010
    Uvalde, Texas
    Ok. an update on my progress with this. I still haven't made it to the "big city" to get fluval or any other suggested products but I do have something that is working, mostly. I made a blue foam dart that just barely covers the opening and was able to vape out more than half of the cart before I got a dry atty taste. I cut the straw about 3-4mm shorter than the depth of the cart, put a notch in the bottom end, cut the blue foam as wide as the cart (9mm) and 20mm long. Folded it in half and stuffed the folded end in the un-notched end of the straw. When I inserted the dart after filling the foam stuck out the end slightly and I poked it just about flush with a t-pin.

I've also tried the plug that VaporMadness mentioned earlier, but the foam that I have is too closed and doesn't work at all. If I can get the right foam, that seems like the most hassle free method to use and fits with the way I use the blue foam in my other devices.

The juice that I'm using may be part of the problem. I mix my own and what I'm using is 70/30% PG/VG with Loranns raspberry flavoring, so may be a little thick for this. I don't have any issues with clogging in any other devices, but none of them hold a gallon and a half of juice either.

Part of my learning curve (I don't consider this a problem, but a learning experience) on this I think is the way I tend to vape too. With my other devices I often will vape until the atty gets hot and with the smaller carts I think they just wick faster or just need less juice to keep going. With my 801, if I take a couple of puffs, put it down and wait a few minutes, then take a couple of puffs, nearly all of these suggestions have worked and most have worked well.

I am really enjoying playing with this as it kind of brings back some of the excitement of when I first started learning about vaping. Thanks to everyone for their tips and suggestions, that has helped make this a fun learning experience.

Sir_Lawrence

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2009
    Maryland
    vapormoon.com
    I love using 801's for the taste and the amount of liquid it holds. I don't have to keep refilling all the time. I mostly vape with 5v. I've tried dripping with them, but the atty is so long that more liquid stays on the inside of the tube of the atty instead of hitting the coil. But I'm getting the hang of it!

Haytoni

ECF Veteran
    Jan 20, 2010
    N.W. Florida
    I'm beginning to think that I made a mistake wanting to try out the 801 pen style. I read a little bit (it's far and sparse) on the forums that people love their pen styles, and I have seen mods (Janty box) that are 801 based, but finding just basic help on getting started with one just isn't there. It seems that the KR808 and Joye 510 have pushed everything else out of the picture.

I'm not a new vaper, I've been vaping for 6 months and am very happy with my L88B and 510 models and don't really need another device, but I want to expand my horizons. I have already purchased this device and now I want to get the most out of it.

The problem I'm having is with wicking. When I first fill a cart it wicks great for the first dozen puffs or so and then falls off. I've tried the factory polyfill, blue foam, and Fluval filter foam (not the cleaning pads as they aren't available here). With the size of the cart I'm sure that its an issue of fine tuning the filler and all of the above should work. I did get some advice in one forum to use the Fluval cleaning pads, but no hints beyond that. I do very much appreciate that bit of information, but I need actual information on how you use Fluval or blue foam or poly fill or xxxxxx. I've not found anything about what size of plug to use for the HighPing mod, or how to cut the blue foam or Fluval.

I've messed around with different cart mods for this thing for three weeks and nothing is working consistently. I know that someone out there has one working, knows what they have their carts stuffed with, and can read a ruler. I'd like to know what filler they are using and the size of that filler, and use that as a starting point to get this working for me. Sorry if that sounded pushy, but if I was asking the same question about a 510, there are dozens of links with dimensions and pictures and videos showing how.

I don't want to have to drip with my 801, if that's the only real option, well, I've got adapters, so I have extra batteries for my 510 parts and I'll write off my attempt at the 801 as a loss.

There has to be some 801 user out there that has made this thing work. I need advise from that person. I need to know if I my expectations from this are too high, or if I have it set up wrong. My expectation is to be able to get 6 or 8 good puffs off this thing without waiting minutes or getting the dry atty taste. If this is only capable of one or two puffs every five minutes, then my expectations are too high and this just isn't for me, but I think it can work with one or two puffs a minute. I tend to vape similar to how I smoked, I'll chain puff for a couple of minutes then stop. I may take a puff or two between sessions but its the wicking issue during sessions that the problem. The first two or three puffs are great, then it's the dry atty taste, even with a full cart.

It's not the end of the world if I don't get this worked out but I'd really like to have the experience that other are having that are successful with this device. I know it will be different, but I want it to work consistently.
    I have had the 801 penstyle for about 6 months, really enjoy the vape, I use blue foam in all of my carts, have all the other stuff, but blue foam does work for me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread