am I putting nicotine in the air??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I never thought that second hand smoke was as dangerous as was claimed. If any one got lung cancer it had to be from smoking or second hand smoke if they never smoked. The chemicals that we breathe couldn't possibly cause cancer of the lungs. More women get cancer from second hand smoke. It couldn't possible be from oven cleaner or what we clean the toilet and shower stall with. I do realize that smoking is bad for us and I am glad to be quit. I really don't think that anything we do will be accepted by the terrified public.

Smokers don't always develop cancer and non-smokers sometimes do. I think there's a genetic disposition to the disease. That said, I respect the wishes of people who don't want to be around second hand smoke.

My Dad's cardiologist told us both in a conversation during an appointment I took my Dad in for that he didn't believe the hype about second hand smoke. His take is that if second hand smoke was responsible for the cancer rates in non-smokers that 100% of smokers would develop lung cancer or a related tumor from the concentrated inhalation. It doesn't happen, according to the studies he mentioned.

A full ashtray is a foul smelling item. I remember once when I tried dumping my ashes in a coffee can with a snap top lid instead of in the trash can to keep the smoke smell down in the house. After a day or so, you couldn't stand to pop the lid off the add more! It was terrible...

As a kid, I remember guys who smoked all day smelling a little like that coffee can at times. We who smoke lose some sense of smell that non-smokers still possess. I guess we have to be aware of that. Hopefully E-cigs will alleviate that smoke smell.

Last edited:

Max0819

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2010
Seattle
Interesting,

"... Exactly how nicotine does this is now becoming clear: It plugs directly into lung cells, where it jump-starts the cells' growth machinery. If those cells are cancerous, nicotine makes them grow wildly..."

Does this mean that it also helps the healthy cells to reproduce, thereby 'repairing' tissue?

My thought for the OP, I'm in the camp of better safe than sorry. If nicotine is in OUR vapor, then it is in the expelled vapor.

In any event I've always found some smokers to be crazy rude, epecially back in the day when half of us smoked, in banks, grocery, theatres, planes, airports, ashtrays were everywhere, respect others rights and be reasonable.

Of course if you find out who the farting biAtch, and the lady wearing tastable perfume, in the plane is, share a seat and merrily vape. :p

Max

ricky59

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
North Carolina
This has no scientific value, but when I was smoking, if I blew the smoke anywhere near my dog, she would make a face and get away from it as fast as she could. I can blow my vapor right in her face (she likes to lay on my chest in bed and I vape a bit there) and she doesn't even flinch. I think dogs are pretty intuitive as to what is in their environment that is bad for them, so I don't think exhaled vapor is really a risk to anyone.

daisyd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2010
Az
That may not be very scientific, but I trust dogs. I have not eaten a Burger King chicken nugget since the day that I couldn't get my friend's dog to eat one. It may have been just that day, but if a dog won't eat it...Dog's noses are so much more sensitive than ours. That's why we use them to find people and things. That being said, I don't know that a dog would register straight nicotine as a harmful thing. I have fed rolling tobacco to dogs to get rid of worms. They love it.

br5495

Old Man Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Liberty, Texas
That being said, I don't know that a dog would register straight nicotine as a harmful thing. I have fed rolling tobacco to dogs to get rid of worms. They love it.

Back in the early 1940's, we had a neighbor with an old hound dog that ate cigarette butts. Not only that, but he ate BURNING cigarette butts! The men would sit on the front porch and throw them out in the yard just to watch him.

That same dog would not eat a biscuit that my mother baked. I don't remember her baking any after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread