Am I the only one who can't taste much of anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACM

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2009
I have to say, if the juices I tried so far are any indication of what to expect in flavored e-liquid, I'll just stick to the basic tobacco flavors from now on. I have tried Johnson Creek, Vermont Vapor, and BestEciggy, and NONE of the e-liquids I have tried taste much like anything at all. A little flavor, but nothing to write home about.

The "tobacco" flavors from Johnson Creek smell and taste a little like hazelnut, which I like, but not at all like tobacco. Vermont Vapor and BestEciggy tobaccos have no flavor at all, from my perspective. Good throat hit and excellent vapor production, in both cases, but bland.

The cinnamon and coffee flavors from BestEciggy do leave a slight aftertaste that reminds me of cinnamon and coffee, but that's it. Oh, and the black licorice has the same effect. But nothing that blew me away. Shipping was quick, though, which was a nice plus. Vapor and throat hit were good, which to me is the most important thing, but flavor? Nah.

I'll stick with Johnson Creek Original and Tennessee Cured. At least as far as bland, nondescript flavors go, I like them the best.

So why do so many people go nuts for flavors when I can't seem to find any that I can really taste?

KCGal

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2009
I had the same problem - then started re-filling my GreenSmoke cartimizors with awesomevapor (from awesomevapor dot com) - amazing. Great flavors you can actually TASTE ( green apple is my favorite, banana is right up there....). You are on the right track, just got to find the right e-juice... ; ) Yeah, and I don't work for awesomevapor or anything either...just passing along a tip for people who like to taste actual flavoring in their vaping experience.

alexprobb

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2009
Louisville, KY
As long as I remember, I've always over-spiced and over-salted my food, liked sipping on hard liquors (no ice), chewed on spicy gum, etc. I've also been tobacco free for quite a while, so I think something is wrong with my taste buds (is that your case?). But for some reason, after trying quite a few, I've got to like Nobacco from Vapor4Life and "lung" juices from Nhaler. Can't explain why as I don't taste much flavor in any of them...(except Nhaler's Sleepy time).
P.S. I use 5V mod for the juices.

Last edited:

hyperdeficit

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2009
Lucas, Texas
I have to say, if the juices I tried so far are any indication of what to expect in flavored e-liquid, I'll just stick to the basic tobacco flavors from now on. I have tried Johnson Creek, Vermont Vapor, and BestEciggy, and NONE of the e-liquids I have tried taste much like anything at all. A little flavor, but nothing to write home about.

The "tobacco" flavors from Johnson Creek smell and taste a little like hazelnut, which I like, but not at all like tobacco. Vermont Vapor and BestEciggy tobaccos have no flavor at all, from my perspective. Good throat hit and excellent vapor production, in both cases, but bland.

The cinnamon and coffee flavors from BestEciggy do leave a slight aftertaste that reminds me of cinnamon and coffee, but that's it. Oh, and the black licorice has the same effect. But nothing that blew me away. Shipping was quick, though, which was a nice plus. Vapor and throat hit were good, which to me is the most important thing, but flavor? Nah.

I'll stick with Johnson Creek Original and Tennessee Cured. At least as far as bland, nondescript flavors go, I like them the best.

So why do so many people go nuts for flavors when I can't seem to find any that I can really taste?

Johnsons creek and vermont vapor have all recieved complaints of having weak flavor. i would look for new juice. I would recomend ecigsmokestore double flavor juices, tasty vapor with a request for strong flavor or nhaler. all of those places have been pretty good in my 510.

Kattdaddy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran

I have to say that the taste of flavors changes for everyone. I can only recommend that if you plan on sticking with tobacco flavors.. get your hands on some doublers.. which is a concentrated version of the flavors used in these liquids. If you go to DIYflavorshack.. you can get good liquids to work with... It does take a little longer to receive your shipments from them as they handmix all their flavors and usually have a four to five day turn around. You can order your juices that you would like and get the doublers for those flavors. If you desire a stronger flavor profile, you can always use those doublers a little at a time until the flavor suits you.

I usually just order a big ml bottle of flavorless nic from TW, and then I get my glycerin, VG, PG, and flavorings from DIY flavorshack.. and mix my own because I too sampled a lot of vendors and decidedly changed to mixing as a remedy. I have a much better time getting what I want from my vaping experience and It actually turns out cheaper. It is also more of an approach to be able to stock large amounts of product and not have a whole bunch of premade juice just laying around and cluttering the place up.
Thats my $0.02 worth.. take it for what its worth.

Tom

Kattdaddy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
If you do desire to try out mixing and want to get a close resemblance to tobacco flavor... Try this!!

Originally Posted by Nuck
I've been trying to get a subtle sweet tobacco flavour for quite some time. Never had much luck until now. The current mix I use gives a clean, subtle taste that smells like a mix of sweet hay and Virgina tobacco. Its the first one I've made that I actually enjoy vaping with. I like it very mild so keep that in mind.

Here is the mix I use that has been tailored to my personal tastes but its easy to play with:

I will use percentages so you can mix however much you want if you're game to try it:

I mixed mine for 18mg nic but its easy to adjust.

50% PG with 36mg nic (you can use VG but I like the throat hit from PG)
1% Ethyl Maltol (gives pleasant sweet hay smell)
1 drop per 5ml of diluted tobacco absolute
2% distilled water
47% pure VG
1 (small) drop of highly concentrated menthol crystals mixture (used to clean up the flavor just a bit, does not turn it into a menthol flavor. This one can be left out if you want an earthier tasting vape)

Notes:

To create diluted tobacco absolute:

1 drop of tobacco absolute in the purest alcohol you have. I use absinthe at 70% but you vodka should work fine, even at 40%. The mix is 1 drop per 2 ml.

To create concentrated menthol mix:

I use 25% crystals ([FONT=Arial, Verdana]mentha arvensis)[/FONT] in 75% absinthe. The crystals completely dissolve this way and there is no need to warm it and no problems with crystals reforming. This stuff is extremely potent so you should mix it in any juice with extreme caution.

The best places I've found for the stuff is:

Tob. Abs
Tobacco Absolute

Ethyl Maltol
Ethyl Maltol - 2.5 ml vial

I used ebay to get the crystals. All the materials are very inexpensive.

I'm going to try adding small traces of vanilla or caramel and maybe even a hint of raspberry next to see how it

I ran across this and tried it out .. It is very close .. but I had to play around with it just a little to bring out the flavor I wanted. I also deleted the use of menthol crystals and just use a little julepe mint additive to clean up the ethyl maltol by combining these liquids together before introducing them to the nic juice. I can not take credit for the original, as I borrowed it from Nuck on this forum and if you have any direct tech questions on how he does it.. you will have to contact him.
Thanks,
Tom

ACM

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2009
This all great information - thank you - I'll try out a bunch of different tips and see how I fare.

BTW - I have been vaping just over 3 weeks, now. I love it and despite the lack of flavor, I actually like it better than that taste of a cigarette, now. Odd.

It might also be that my taste buds are taking their sweet time (no pun intended) to recover from 30 some odd years of smoke abuse.

Robin Woods

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2009
Central Florida
Ok, I can't figure out this forum and it won't let me post a new thread. What I'd like to know is who has the best liquids. Mainly tobacco flavors. Not really into flavors. What I and my hubby want is great taste, good throat hit and great vapor. The 2 places I've ordered from do not have this. While they do provide good service in sending the product out, we are just not happy with the product. Is there a company that has good service, good customer service and good juice? E-mail me as I can't seem to find post answers on here. Email is robin0329@cfl.rr.com. Thanks so much!

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
I have to add: I thought the same thing - until today when I got the butter rum tv veriosn from tasty vapor - I'm not a drinker, and the smell is making me feel light headed. It vapes wonderfully (its sweet and I have a sweet tooth) and I can't actually stop sucking on it. There's no harshness at all and I guess THIS is what everyone means when they say vaping is great. I liked the other carts I had, and enjoyed vaping, but they tended to harshness when they were getting down to the wire; a marlb taste pack. This however, has changed my mind. I do think though I'm gonna have watch my nic strengths and lower them as time goes by - I have the 12mg and I think its easily strong enough, if not TOO strong for my palate.

obrian93

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
ECM - my wife also gets very little flavor. Nhaler's high-voltage has a little more flavor added, and any site selling "doublers" means that they're selling highly flavored liquids intended to be cut down with more pg/vg.

Nhaler's Vanilla Custard and Mocha both utilize a "cream" flavor that my wife finds notable and enjoys (there's also plain old cream floating around). I, however, care not one bit for it.

Of course, the good news for me is that even when I buy something that doesn't suit my tastes, I've got someone in-house who can put it to use.

OOH! Clove! That's a flavor that does a good job punching its way in. This would be assuming that you'd like the flavor.

ETA:
Robin: go online and ask who make the best car and you'll be just as successful. Imported liquid all comes from the same few suppliers, so you'll be seeing a lot of the same thing no matter where you buy (not bad, just recurring). Sites that carry on about "USA-mixed" liquids are where to find unique flavor profiles, and any one you pick will bring with it a sea of fans and detractors.

I usually spring for small bottles when I'm out shopping for hardware and parts. That way I don't feel like I'm losing too much on shipping.

Last edited:

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
I have to say that the taste of flavors changes for everyone. I can only recommend that if you plan on sticking with tobacco flavors.. get your hands on some doublers.. which is a concentrated version of the flavors used in these liquids. If you go to DIYflavorshack.. you can get good liquids to work with... It does take a little longer to receive your shipments from them as they handmix all their flavors and usually have a four to five day turn around. You can order your juices that you would like and get the doublers for those flavors. If you desire a stronger flavor profile, you can always use those doublers a little at a time until the flavor suits you.

Unless you're talking about "doublers" from some place that's different than most places that I'm aware of, I believe you have a misconception as to what doublers actually are. Doublers do not generally have more flavor - they have the same amount of flavor as regular e-liquid. A doubler is generally just a 0-nic version of a flavor that is used to "double" the amount of XX-mg flavored juice without diluting the flavor.

e.g. - You have 36mg Coffee eliquid and want to cut it down to make it 18mg without diluting the flavor. So you use the 0-nic Coffee "doubler" mixed 1:1 with the 36mg to get 18mg that tastes exactly the same as the original 36mg did - thus "doubling" the AMOUNT of liquid, NOT the flavor.

bestthingever

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2010
Birmingham, AL
ACM: I've had exactly the same experience as you (and been vaping for the same amount of time).

I'm still trying different juices from different vendors, so hopefully one day I'll find the one...just placed my first order with Tasty Vapor tonight, and lots of folks here say that TV's flavors are some of the best. ::fingers crossed::

Even so, I'll never go back to analogs. I'm pretty sure the analog abuse for the last 30 years has something to do with my pitiful taste-buds anyway........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread