Am I the Only One who Prefers a Single Coil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VRein

May 6, 2015
I got my Achilles in the mail today and I'm really happy with it. As PapawBrett points out, it definitely seems designed for a mouth to lung hitter who uses single coils. I like it very much. It seems really light, (I think it's titanium?), and was a bit bigger than I was expecting. Though, by the design the actual "chamber" is quite small which I'm sure helps out with the great flavor.

My threads came a bit rough too - I remember reading on the web site to clean with a tooth brush so this must be common. Definitely LOVE the air inlet and flow design. I found it super easy to build on as well. Currently I have a 26 ga Kanthal coil at 1 ohm and I've had to turn my voltage way down from what I am accustomed too. I think I have it at 3.8V or so now, (eleaf istick 50W).

So yep, definitely a +1 on the Achilles for people with similar vaping habits. Oh, and does not appear to be prone to leaks either, just a well thought out design in my opinion, (for it's intended use).

Anyway, not intending to sidetrack the thread, but I'm happy to find some atty's well suited for our single coil tight draw style of vaping.

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
I must resist....lol. They do sound really nice though. I am going to concentrate only on bottom fed attys and mods. The Derringer and Quasar are both really good attys and do single, or dual coils. Both have good air flow for me. The Derringer has a little more air flow. I only have two holes open on it. Now way I'd use 3 open. Two is plenty. 3 cuts the taste too much anyway.

Reactions: Bronze

VRein

May 6, 2015
Yeah, the airflow is a big one for me, even the IGO-W has more than I'd like and the even less (air flow) IGO-L is okay but a tad less suits me great. I guess I'll be trying to stick with adjustable air flows going forward, I mean if I too am unable to resist the urge for something new and shiny :) I do think I'll be quite happy with the Achilles though for a long time to come and at least as of now don't really see the need to even try dual coils. I guess my vaping is pretty much just a smoking replacement, though again, buying some shiny new devices has been sorta fun!

Reactions: kkay59

Ejuice4cig

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2013
CA, San Jose
I have a question for all the single coil expert here. Please help if possible

I am using a mech with AEOLUS RDA and I want to run single coil. Currently I am having hard time of getting a flavorful vape.

1. Does surface area affect flavor?
2. For single coil, flavor should go with higher gauge and resistant? I.E: 1 ohm of 28 gauge (heat flux 302) rather than .5 of 24 (Heat flux of 309)?
3. Does diameter of the coil play any role? I find that I draw is about 5-7 seconds, if I go with 1.5mm or less in diameter, the wick taste burnt.

Thank you so much in advance for all your help.
Andy

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
I don't have one but, design looks similar to the Rogue with top fed air inlets. Anything designed for dual coils with a large chamber really won't shine in the flavor department with a single set-up. Flavor on the Rogue was really disappointing for me even with dual.

I'd definitely go with 2-2.5mm coil. And get the coil(s) as close to the inlet without shorting as possible.

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
I have two top airflow fed attys. Rogue and Omerta. Rogue just didn't give me good flavor no matter how I set it up. Omerta gave me good flavor after I modified it pretty heavily. Omerta is more of a side airflow inlet atty that feeds from the top.
I like the top fed atties for my REO. Basically leak proof.

Really like the Derringer too but, that one always needs some wiping every now and then. Good flavor though. Dual coil again. I've been using dual but, not my preference.

For best flavor you'll want a small chamber single coil atty. A chalice, rm2, think rm3...along those lines...

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I picked up an Achilles from Frog in Fog the other day. Single coil design. One of the largest capacity drippers I've seen (a full 2.5mls). Direct-to-coil airflow. Excellent flavor, excellent dripper. Not for those who like lots of airflow though. It's a tight draw even wide open.

For those of you who want a leakproof RDA, get a Veritas or an Achilles. Neither one of them leak even laying on their sides. And you're not going to beat them for flavor either. I hate leaky attys.

Reactions: VRein

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
The only way my regular Derringer leaks, is if you over fill it. I use it in single coil too.
You get a build up between the inner and outer rings after some use. Pools at air inlets. Doesn't run down most of the time but, it's there.

It's not an over-filling issue. It's splattering from the coils and works it's way around between the rings.

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
I picked up an Achilles from Frog in Fog the other day. Single coil design. One of the largest capacity drippers I've seen (a full 2.5mls). Direct-to-coil airflow. Excellent flavor, excellent dripper. Not for those who like lots of airflow though. It's a tight draw even wide open.

For those of you who want a leakproof RDA, get a Veritas or an Achilles. Neither one of them leak even laying on their sides. And you're not going to beat them for flavor either. I hate leaky attys.
I really like the achilles design. Just a little too tall. The direct to coil centered airflow is great. Why kayfuns have such good flavor.

Reactions: Bronze

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Can anyone recommend rda's intended for single coils. I build with 28 guage , 1.6 ohms and fire it at 15 watts. I like a tight draw for mouth to lung. For the past couple months I've been relying almost exclusively on a Kanger Sub mini with the rebuildable section. I'm able to get the draw tight by opening part of the smallest hole. I'd like to have a dripper. I started working with a tuboat v2 clone recently. I like the big juice well and small size compared to the sub mini but with a single coil the throat hit is a bit much. I tried dual coils and didn't get a good result. May be the chamber is too big for what I'm trying to do or the air supply isn't ideal? Can anyone recommend drippers intended for the kind of setup I'm building?

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Can anyone recommend rda's intended for single coils. I build with 28 guage , 1.6 ohms and fire it at 15 watts. I like a tight draw for mouth to lung. For the past couple months I've been relying almost exclusively on a Kanger Sub mini with the rebuildable section. I'm able to get the draw tight by opening part of the smallest hole. I'd like to have a dripper. I started working with a tuboat v2 clone recently. I like the big juice well and small size compared to the sub mini but with a single coil the throat hit is a bit much. I tried dual coils and didn't get a good result. May be the chamber is too big for what I'm trying to do or the air supply isn't ideal? Can anyone recommend drippers intended for the kind of setup I'm building?
This is the one we were just talking about. Designed specifically for single coil, tight draw, lots of capacity, does NOT leak! A flavor factory. Made of titanium and very light. Excellent dripper. Vaping on it now.

Achilles Atomizer Clone / Titanium RDA / Achilles RBA

Reactions: VRein

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
This is the one we were just talking about. Designed specifically for single coil, tight draw, lots of capacity, does NOT leak! A flavor factory. Made of titanium and very light. Excellent dripper. Vaping on it now.

Thanks for the feedback. The achilles does seem to have real world vapers in mind. I've been researching RDA's. There are a lot of them and virtually none are focused on a single coil build, except the Achilles. The only supplier I can find is the one you linked. Do you know of any others? I prefer to order several things and he doesn't have anything else I'm looking for at the moment.

I'm getting along okay with the Tugboat with a 1.2 ohm coil. The bad throat hit was solved by positioning the air supply close to the coil. It doesn't leak in my pocket during motorcycle rides. So far the flavor is equal to but not superior to my tanks. I'll finally figure out how much e liquid I consume. 20 drops = 1ml

I want to be comfortable with drippers, mechanical mods etc. in case the government starts a vape war. Here in Michigan the Republican governor wants to tax ecigs but it appears the legislature does not. The Michigan Senate voted 34-0 in favor of a bill that only limits sales to kids. If the Michigan house votes similarly they may be able to override a veto by the governor. States that are friendly to the ecig industry might get some of the businesses and jobs. It's stupid for States to snub their noses at a global busness with $800 billion worth of opportunity.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Thanks for the feedback. The achilles does seem to have real world vapers in mind. I've been researching RDA's. There are a lot of them and virtually none are focused on a single coil build, except the Achilles. The only supplier I can find is the one you linked. Do you know of any others? I prefer to order several things and he doesn't have anything else I'm looking for at the moment.

I'm getting along okay with the Tugboat with a 1.2 ohm coil. The bad throat hit was solved by positioning the air supply close to the coil. It doesn't leak in my pocket during motorcycle rides. So far the flavor is equal to but not superior to my tanks. I'll finally figure out how much e liquid I consume. 20 drops = 1ml

I want to be comfortable with drippers, mechanical mods etc. in case the government starts a vape war. Here in Michigan the Republican governor wants to tax ecigs but it appears the legislature does not. The Michigan Senate voted 34-0 in favor of a bill that only limits sales to kids. If the Michigan house votes similarly they may be able to override a veto by the governor. States that are friendly to the ecig industry might get some of the businesses and jobs. It's stupid for States to snub their noses at a global busness with $800 billion worth of opportunity.
Frog in Fog is the only one I know that offers the Achilles. Sadly, one stop shopping for vape gear is near impossible.

1/2 fast

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
SW Ohio

This was one of those links that tries to empty the old wallet. The Achilles sounded like just what I as looking for so I ordered one and looked around the rest of the site. Now there are two short Russian 91%'s and a mechanical box mod riding along with the Achilles as well.

Thanks for posting that link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread