Am I the Only One who Prefers a Single Coil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Well, here is another dinosaur checking in. I found my sweet spot to be a single coil in the 1.4 to 1.8 ohm range, 28 or 30ga kanthal, kgd cotton on my Russian 91s and Kayfuns on my several Provari. With these old eyes and hands it is challenging enough for me to get the coils mounted.

I have tried several friends' dual builds and find most too hot of a vape for me. No interest in straying from what works for me. Just picked up a SOV quartz kit and love it. Now I do not have to worry about what juice I may try melting the poly tank sections.

I do mouth to lung inhales. I find the IgoL I had gave me a very sore throat after a bit of vaping. Thought about getting a Magma but I pick up from my reading that it is a lung hit rda. I started with Evods and good old Joye 510 attys. The Russian 91 was like flying first class. Love it. Single coils forever!!! I still use the 510 attys to taste new juices or if I want to slow down my juice consumption for a while.

I tried the rayon and could not get the quantity of wick right for the way I build so back to kgd cotton. I get around 4 to 6 days out of the wick but I do not vape coil gunker juices. When I start diy that may change depending on how adventurous I get with my recipes.

Great thread.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I like some heat, but don't need monster clouds - I'd rather have intense flavor...
I run more singles than duals, cuz I get want I want and
a) they're easier to build
and
b) I want "instant" response when I push the button - harder to achieve with more coil mass of a dual...

So my "hobby" lately has been finding and trying other TINY atties on my Reo - Chalice, Divo, Cyclone...
You might want to get your hands on a Cyclone...

collection2_zps527bf249.jpg

I too enjoy simple and tasty, I want to know what that little atty 4th from the left is? Also that little beauty on the far right on the black box mod..... They look really nice....and might look good on my Piccolos.

chohan

Earthbound Misfit
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
NC Foothills
I too enjoy simple and tasty, I want to know what that little atty 4th from the left is? Also that little beauty on the far right on the black box mod..... They look really nice....and might look good on my Piccolos.

4th from left looks like the Reactor by Madz Modz, made in the Philippines.

The one on far right is the Chalice by Mark Bugs... looks like version 3. There is a thread here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...s-bottom-feeder-atomiser-official-thread.html

and here is the web site:

Chalice III by Mark Bugs

and the black box mod is the Reo. :D

cheers

chohan

Earthbound Misfit
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
NC Foothills
Last time I checked, Chowderhead (Tom) at Catfish Atty Mods had a waiting list for the Derringers he was setting up for BF. Might have to go back and get an update on that one....

It rocks in BF mode:

mNsIDne.jpg

I use the Derringer for lung hits and my Cyclones for MTL. Even with just one hole open, the D is a bit airy for mouth to lung although I guess you could close it down even more.
But for me, two holes open on a single coil is a perfect lung hit and flavor is pretty good.

I'll second ckquatt's statement: "My Odin rocks in single coil mode!"

The Odin does seem to really work nice with a single coil. Instead of going horizontal on this one I set it up vertical. The bottom most wrap of the coil is level with the air intake so the whole coil is sitting in the sweet spot. Twisted 27 gauge .6 ohms and taking the full brunt of the battery on my mechanical it is still a pleasantly warm and oh so flavorful vape.

I do like playing with dual coils but it's hard to argue the extra effort with how good this one is working for me.

Last edited:

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
I'll second ckquatt's statement: "My Odin rocks in single coil mode!"

The Odin does seem to really work nice with a single coil. Instead of going horizontal on this one I set it up vertical. The bottom most wrap of the coil is level with the air intake so the whole coil is sitting in the sweet spot. Twisted 27 gauge .6 ohms and taking the full brunt of the battery on my mechanical it is still a pleasantly warm and oh so flavorful vape.

I do like playing with dual coils but it's hard to argue the extra effort with how good this one is working for me.

I might have to give a vertical coil a shot! I don't do twisted coils but I don't see why it wouldn't be ok to do with my standard 28 gauge. I'd like to see the flavor difference.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Well, here is another dinosaur checking in. I found my sweet spot to be a single coil in the 1.4 to 1.8 ohm range, 28 or 30ga kanthal, kgd cotton on my Russian 91s and Kayfuns on my several Provari. With these old eyes and hands it is challenging enough for me to get the coils mounted.

I have tried several friends' dual builds and find most too hot of a vape for me. No interest in straying from what works for me. Just picked up a SOV quartz kit and love it. Now I do not have to worry about what juice I may try melting the poly tank sections.

I do mouth to lung inhales. I find the IgoL I had gave me a very sore throat after a bit of vaping. Thought about getting a Magma but I pick up from my reading that it is a lung hit rda. I started with Evods and good old Joye 510 attys. The Russian 91 was like flying first class. Love it. Single coils forever!!! I still use the 510 attys to taste new juices or if I want to slow down my juice consumption for a while.

I tried the rayon and could not get the quantity of wick right for the way I build so back to kgd cotton. I get around 4 to 6 days out of the wick but I do not vape coil gunker juices. When I start diy that may change depending on how adventurous I get with my recipes.

Great thread.

I do *strictly* mouth-to-lung, prefer a tight-ish draw and not too hot, and I LOOOOOOOOOVE my Magma; it's just a tiny bit looser than my kayfun, which I was keeping fairly closed down at that point. Once I got used to the Magma's *very* slightly looser draw, and the 1.3 ohm coil I built for it, I dropped my kayfuns from 1.8 to 1.5, and opened the air just a tiny bit -- only a tiny bit more vapor, but the flavor is AMAZING!

I do use a "swivel" driptip with my Magma though; just don't like having my mouth that close to the coil, and the swivel gives a bit more distance and the angled top, so even if it spits, my lips don't get it. I think I need about a dozen of those swivels. :D

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Now I am sitting here guesstimating how many wraps for a vertical single coil using 30g Kanthal in a Veritas.....

A vertical-single is the reason I want a Veritas; saw a build like that when I was hunting up pics of the Veritas, and it really intrigues me -- so many people keep hollering about vertical coils, and the way the Veritas is constructed would make that a fairly easy build. Seems to me you could just drip straight into the wick/coil with that -- so maybe not need to remove the whole cap, but just the driptip.

But I can't find any pics that show the depth of the drip well in the Veritas; anyone got any pics that show that? The RDAs with deep wells are the only kind that really interest me -- I don't mind "re-dripping" every half hour or so, but any more than that is just a pain.

Andria

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
A vertical-single is the reason I want a Veritas; saw a build like that when I was hunting up pics of the Veritas, and it really intrigues me -- so many people keep hollering about vertical coils, and the way the Veritas is constructed would make that a fairly easy build. Seems to me you could just drip straight into the wick/coil with that -- so maybe not need to remove the whole cap, but just the driptip.

But I can't find any pics that show the depth of the drip well in the Veritas; anyone got any pics that show that? The RDAs with deep wells are the only kind that really interest me -- I don't mind "re-dripping" every half hour or so, but any more than that is just a pain.

Andria

Go here and you'll see all kind of photos...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rda/564990-veritas-rda.html

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Andria - I am out on a two night run, but when I get home tomorrow I will try to get some pics up of the Veritas. It does have a deep juice well, should hold at least 1 to 2 ml of juice....

Don't make her wait too long Pop. Don't want to waste her time. And those better be good pictures!

Libbydude

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2012
Idaho
I have been preferring single coils lately. When I first got an rda I thought I NEEDED to run duals. I've been totally surprised by the performance of a good single set up. I started rebuilding a few months ago. Started on 26 awg but have been avoiding it like the plague because it doesn't cool off quick enough. I decided to try a spaced coil with it this evening. I read somewhere online that spaced coils are better for VG and flavor. Since everything you read on the internet is true I gave it a shot.

Seems to be a fuller vape than my standard 28 awg 1.8 ohm contact coil at the same wattage. I did not notice an improvement in flavor though.Actually, quite the opposite.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Don't make her wait too long Pop. Don't want to waste her time. And those better be good pictures!

Hey Bronze.. :D

No rush, really; I'm not going to be buying it anytime really soon, but just looking at different ones that interest me, and the Veritas is top of the list right now. Trying to expand my vaping horizons one tiny bit at a time, since I discovered with the Magma that an RDA really can vape the way I like, and give me great flavor -- really don't give a flip about clouds, just want good strong flavor and a tight-ish draw.

Andria

cinetrope

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Joshua Tree, CA
I use both but 65% of my vaping is done on a single coil in a Kayfun at around 1.4 ohms or so on a Provari or an SX Mini. I also like to use a single vertical coil in a Mephisto (which has AFC that accommodates a single coil perfectly) on a dedicated 18350 mechanical. The thing is practically invisible. I think of it as my " going to the opera rig". Ultimately I build what's safe for my battery or mod, then use juice that will shine at that wattage. This means that I use dual coils less than half of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread