Am I the Only One who Prefers a Single Coil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Andrea, this is a single horizontal coil in a Veritas. juice well is over 1/4 inch deep, and over half of rba in space.

Looks great!! Just one question: I plan to use a single coil build too, probably vertical; does it matter which of the bottom screws you use? I know in other 3-post setups it doesn't, but never hurts to be sure. :D

Looks like eciggity will be getting more of my money pretty soon. :D

Andria

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I don't believe it makes a difference, both bottom screws are negative.
Look carefully at the positive post on that rba, that is not a stock Veritas. That one was remodeled for a Bottom- Feed Mod ( a Low Profile Reos, to be exact) by Tom (Chowderhead) at Catfish Atty Mods. One of the things Tom does is he adds a second plastic washer as an insulator, and a second nut. By having two plastic washers it adds insulation from grounding to the base of the RBA, and having two nuts raises the leg of your coil that much further from the base by attaching the lead between the two nuts. This helps to eliminate one of the minor drawbacks of the Veritas, and I would recommend adding a second plastic washer and nut, which should be available at most any hardware store.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Ummm... that kinda swooshed over my head, the grounding and why it would be good to raise the leg higher... and what exactly is the drawback you mean, because i know nothing about all that sort of thing -- any knowledge I have of this stuff is purely rote and personal use, which doesn't mean I really understand the electrical principles involved, nor the proper terminology for any of it. :( My husband would probably get it immediately, but it's too far outside my own experience -- which is why I resisted rebuilding for quite a while, but just had to find a way to vape that really let me taste it.

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Basically - don't let the leg of your coil that goes to the screw on top come in contact with any other part of the Veritas.

Better ?

Much! Thank you! Now I can *visualize* what you mean. I've gotten pretty good at the actual physical stuff with all this, wrapping the coil, mounting it, proper wick amount, etc... but the actual principles, nuh uh. All I can say is thank god for Steam Engine :D and all the ECF battery gurus! :thumb:

Thx!
Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
This is the build that fired up my interest in the Veritas.

veritas-single-vertical.jpg

Mind you, that's a doubled wire, which I wouldn't be doing; I'll just have one of my usual 29ga 1.3Ω coils there, but that configuration, I'm guessing with a rayon wick that might be the best vape ever, with the specs I prefer. And considering the tobeco version is just $18.99, I can't pass it up. :D My dear husband just made $100 working for a friend, so he said fine about getting it -- he's off at Harbor Freight right now, buying a chain he's been coveting for a while -- we'll be yanking some boxwoods out of the ground sometime in the next year, so he'll need that. :D

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
The vertical coil in a Veritas is still wondering around in the back of my mind, but I've pretty much given up on rayon in favor of KohGenDo Japanese Cotton. I just like it better.

I really need to get some of that. As much as I like rayon wicking, sometimes it just gives me this awful taste, very chemical, and I have to switch back to my organic cotton (balls). I thought I saw a link recently where it was some decent price (less than $12!!), but now I can't find it. I'm not paying $12 for cotton, unless I can wear it. :D

Andria

becosemsaida

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2012
Portugal
I really need to get some of that. As much as I like rayon wicking, sometimes it just gives me this awful taste, very chemical, and I have to switch back to my organic cotton (balls). I thought I saw a link recently where it was some decent price (less than $12!!), but now I can't find it. I'm not paying $12 for cotton, unless I can wear it. :D

Andria

Depending on the number of pads..... you can always make something to wear from it.

Back on track, i tried some vertical builds on a kayfun and for those that like to have a more airy vape it will be nice. Just remember that you have to wick the whole deck to avoid dry burns.

Since i also use a subtank and a SquapeR with single coil builds it just works !!! Twisted are also nice but tend to get too much work to get it all nice and beautiful and working as it should.

One thing i noticed is that spaced coils are back and strong. the best thing that arrived a while back was micro (macro etc. etc.) coils and now we're back to single spaced?? Not to be influenced by anything i just keep on building what works for me but i'm always willing to try new stuff.. The veritas looks nice to build on but not for me since i need a tank set to get me trough the day. Dripping only at home and that's rare.....

@AndriaD: just kidding :laugh:
beco

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Depending on the number of pads..... you can always make something to wear from it.

Back on track, i tried some vertical builds on a kayfun and for those that like to have a more airy vape it will be nice. Just remember that you have to wick the whole deck to avoid dry burns.

Since i also use a subtank and a SquapeR with single coil builds it just works !!! Twisted are also nice but tend to get too much work to get it all nice and beautiful and working as it should.

One thing i noticed is that spaced coils are back and strong. the best thing that arrived a while back was micro (macro etc. etc.) coils and now we're back to single spaced?? Not to be influenced by anything i just keep on building what works for me but i'm always willing to try new stuff.. The veritas looks nice to build on but not for me since i need a tank set to get me trough the day. Dripping only at home and that's rare.....

@AndriaD: just kidding :laugh:
beco

Actually I want the Veritas because it seems that it would be less leaky than the Magma, by virtue of the airhole being beside the coil rather than under it. That gravity really sucks, y'know? ;) I've taken the Magma out in the truck sometimes, and it's a real challenge to keep it upright at all times, when you're out and about, and the Veritas seems that if the well isn't over-filled, it might be a bit easier to deal with while out and about.

I've been using spaced wraps almost since I started rebuilding. I struggled a lot with dry/burnt hits, and it seemed to me that compressing the coils really concentrates the heat, and if other aspects of the atty and build aren't just perfect, that concentrated heat can cause a lot of problems. Since I've been using spaced wraps, I've had much better luck not getting dry hits at all. Plus, I don't really like a lot of heat; it can burn my lips, and it can generate a lot more vapor than my lungs are prepared to deal with.

I'm sure I'll get some KGD eventually, it just always seems I have much better uses for $12 than cotton pads. :D Heck, 120ml of nicotine is only $10! :D

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Got my Veritas today! Currently soaking in hot soapy water (after the last kayfun I bought, I take the 'machine oil' problem seriously, because that stuff tastes NASTY). After I eat, the water should be cool enough to stick my hand in, so I can get it coiled and try it out. :thumb:

I love the shipping from Hawaii; I ordered that thing late Saturday afternoon, and have it today. :thumb: Some stuff I ordered that got shipped from NY on the 19th still isn't here. :facepalm:

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Hmmm... well, I just noticed that I was going to need a different tool, for the center post. After scouting around in my husband's various tool drawers, I found a 4mm socket-doohickee, not sure what it's actually called. I tried it, and it more-or-less works, but it's a bit loose; would a 3.5mm work better, and do they even make these doohickees in 3.5mm size?

This thingee:

socket-doohickee.jpg

Thx!
Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
That would be a torx/star socket wrench kit...I don't know what size. You should be able to pick up a set cheap. Go to Sears, and take it with you. You might be able to just get one, instead of a whole set. (or Harbor Freight, if you'd rather)

Hmm... I was thinking more, Home Depot; that's the closest. The others would require negotiating some hairy traffic, at rush-hour. Really don't want a whole set, my husband has umpteen sets. And he might even have a "hex driver" thing in some other location. He'll be home shortly, so it looks like I'm stuck until he gets here at any rate.

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Ok, I got done with all the many and varied things I had to do, got it built (that 4mm thingy was the best tool for the task, after all). Hits great; maybe a little harsher than my Magma, but I can play with it; it's just my first build -- so don't laugh! No I don't compress my coils, and this is the first vertical I've EVER done, so it looks a bit... drunk? :D But it works, and I was able to turn the airflow down pretty well, to do the mouth hits that I like.

veritas-1stbuild.jpg

Looks real pretty on my Fallen Angel...

veritas.jpg

:thumb:

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread