Am I understanding this battery thing right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frizzy_tyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2015
North Carolina
Today I purchased the istick Pico. I have been reading the battery 101 for the past few days as long as a few other sources. I think I understand, but I'm not sure enough to trust my judgement on it.

The Pico calls for

Cell type: High-rate 18650 cell
Cell type:(Continuous discharge current should be above 25A)
This is from the eleaf website.

I was looking at the SONY US18650VTC4 2100MAH at rtd vapor. It says it has a continuous discharge of 30A but the testing done by mooch here rates it at 23A.

Running the numbers through the steam engine calculator one would hit 18.4 amps (20% lower than 23A) at the max wattage of 75 at .22 ohms. I honestly don't see myself hitting the max wattage or going as low as .22 ohms.

It seems to me the VCT4 would be safe, but am I missing something? Do I need to find a higher rated battery? Am I just over thinking this?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Today I purchased the iStick Pico. I have been reading the battery 101 for the past few days as long as a few other sources. I think I understand, but I'm not sure enough to trust my judgement on it.

The Pico calls for

I was looking at the SONY US18650VTC4 2100MAH at rtd vapor. It says it has a continuous discharge of 30A but the testing done by mooch here rates it at 23A.

Running the numbers through the steam engine calculator one would hit 18.4 amps (20% lower than 23A) at the max wattage of 75 at .22 ohms. I honestly don't see myself hitting the max wattage or going as low as .22 ohms.

It seems to me the VCT4 would be safe, but am I missing something? Do I need to find a higher rated battery? Am I just over thinking this?

"It seems to me the VCT4 would be safe,
but am I missing something?
Do I need to find a higher rated battery?
Am I just over thinking this?"

Yes
Maybe: if you need more power, use more batteries.
No
maybe; but lithium batteries are worth a second thought at least.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Today I purchased the iStick Pico. I have been reading the battery 101 for the past few days as long as a few other sources. I think I understand, but I'm not sure enough to trust my judgement on it.

The Pico calls for

I think you may be looking at the wrong numbers in steam-engine. You need to choose "regulated" and "variable wattage" and look at amps at the battery. You'll notice that the resistance doesn't factor into the amp draw in that case. The forumla is:

Watts (+10% to account for device inefficiency) / battery cutoff voltage (as the amp draw is highest at that point, on a regulated device) = amps

So, for the Pico:
83 (75w +10%) / 3.2v = 26 amps

The vtc4 can handle that current so you're safe to use it. I use 20 amp batteries as I don't go over 50w on single-battery devices.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Watts (+10% to account for device inefficiency) / battery cutoff voltage (as the amp draw is highest at that point, on a regulated device) = amps

So, for the Pico:
83 (75w +10%) / 3.2v = 26 amps

The vtc4 can handle that current so you're safe to use it. I use 20 amp batteries as I don't go over 50w on single-battery devices.

-Edited-

Using a Lower Cut-off is a Good Call in that it gives you a Maximum Amp draw as you mentioned.

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I think the Pico has a Higher battery cut-off than 3.2v. I believe it is 3.6v

But using a Lower Cut-off is a Good Call in that it gives you a Maximum Amp draw as you mentioned.
Djlsb (Daniel) got around 3.15v when he tested it. Around 20:10 in the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread