American college of Physician's Urges Ban On E-Cig Flavors, Advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEA7H INC

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Oregon
Influential Doctors' Group Urges Ban On E-Cig Flavors, Advertising

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/843443

The ACP has unusual clout, and some of its previous position papers have become law or the de facto standards of care.

This is REALLY bad news. The ACP is a well regarded and ridiculously influential organization. Many current rules and regulations regarding medicine and policy are based on their positions. They are the gold standard so to speak and they are calling for a total flavor ban.

Last edited:

DEA7H INC

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Oregon

Thank you for posting that. I read through it and had to stop myself from yelling at my phones screen due to how absolutely idiotic and dangerous their position is in regards to public health. It's a shame that an organization that policy makers look to for guidance can get away with this criminal like fabrication of the truth.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
here is link to the steaming pile:

Whenever I see vaping stuff being referred to as "ENDS", it's surrounded by negative portrayal. How many times would I have to see that word without ever seeing it being used in a complimentary, or even neutral portrayal, before I can assume it to be a derogatory term? Anybody know?

redddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
Rochester, NY

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Their conclusion:

Despite the widespread popularity and availability of ENDS, little is known about the direct and second-hand long-term effects of their use or their potential as a smoking cessation aid. The College supports strong regulations to ensure product safety and transparency, policies that prevent use among young people, increased research to better determine their health effects, strong limits on marketing and promotion to discourage interest among young people, and application of indoor air laws to protect the health of bystanders.

It's nice to know that I know more about eCigs than the entire body of ACP.

And sad to know that ACP will likely be part of creating a black market that will arguably endanger young people more than what reasonable limits would call forth. I predict their feigned ignorance and desire to promote dangers of eCigs will actually encourage use by young people rather than discourage.

And indoor air laws were meant to be broken. You can count on this.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Their conclusion:

It's nice to know that I know more about eCigs than the entire body of ACP.

And sad to know that ACP will likely be part of creating a black market that will arguably endanger young people more than what reasonable limits would call forth. I predict their feigned ignorance and desire to promote dangers of eCigs will actually encourage use by young people rather than discourage.

And indoor air laws were meant to be broken. You can count on this.

it's always "about the children"

CardinalWinds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
Vermont, USA
4. The American College of Physicians supports legislative or regulatory efforts to restrict promotion, advertising, and marketing for ENDS products in the same manner as for combustible cigarettes, including a prohibition on television advertising

I guess all the Vuse and Blu commercials will have to go too. Let us watch as that recommendation is dropped with merely a stern glance from BT.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Flavored nicquid is not needed and can be banned as far as I'm concerned. As long as you can get unflavored nicquid the flavors can be developed and sold separate. There's only a few drops of flavor in a 30 ml bottle anyway. It isn't like cigarettes or other tobacco products where the flavor is an part of the manufacturing process. I don't like the idea of them banning flavors but we'd survive.

DEA7H INC

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Oregon
Flavored nicquid is not needed and can be banned as far as I'm concerned. As long as you can get unflavored nicquid the flavors can be developed and sold separate. There's only a few drops of flavor in a 30 ml bottle anyway. It isn't like cigarettes or other tobacco products where the flavor is an part of the manufacturing process. I don't like the idea of them banning flavors but we'd survive.

From reading it fully they are opposed to anything that has a distinguishing flavor from Tobacco and Menthol, that would I imagine include non flavored.

And I agree we would survive, but we are not the only ones with stake in this. Banning flavors would be of great cost to those who have yet to transition from combustible Tobacco to electronic cigarettes. Many people I know were aided by flavors in their quest to quit smoking.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
Jessica99 shared this in her Nothing About Us. Without Us. thread....

The ACP warns against e-cigarettes. Why? No good reason, but all their peer groups do as well. - American Council on Science and Health (ACSH)

"And then there’s those delicious taxes they seem to be slobbering over shamelessly! As is uniform among the med-sci journals, here’s their ‘disclosure’ statement: Financial support for the development of this guideline comes exclusively from the ACP operating budget. Sure it does! But where does that budget come from, folks? Well, we here at ACSH did a modicum of research, and discovered that just from Big Pharma, around seven millions dollars of support came ACP’s way last year! Now, that’s not much for GSK, Pfizer, Novartis and J&J, is it? But wouldn’t a neutral observer surmise that it warrants a brief mention in a conflict-of-interest sort of way? We sure do. The ACP should be ashamed of abandoning its public health mission to kowtow to its funders by helping to keep smokers smoking, and dying.”

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I haven't read the exec summary but what does advertising and flavor have to do with the medical issues? They are making a social statement without regard to any proven threat. I don't watch TV or read magazines where I might encounter traditional advertsing. Today what exactly is advertising? Are they going to ban e-cig websites that promote vaping products or forums like this? Are retail locations going to be banned from having a sign on the building that says vape shop?

So okay,, let's ban flavors, then what? Everybody has to go diy or they buy some from a friend. DIY is so cheap I'd give a bottle to a friend to help him get started. WIll that be illegal too? Will it be illegal to flavor your own eliquid. A flavor ban is just stupid.

The position they've taken is weak and has nothing to do with medical issues.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I haven't read the exec summary but what does advertising and flavor have to do with the medical issues? They are making a social statement without regard to any proven threat.

That is a very important point. Both advertising, and the worries they're suffering from concerning flavors, are not medical issues. Related, yes, but other pros are in charge of mishandling those.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
That is a very important point. Both advertising, and the worries they're suffering from concerning flavors, are not medical issues. Related, yes, but other pros are in charge of mishandling those.

The Automotive Maintenance & Repair Association (AMRA) is coming out with a statement that bright flashy cars should be banned because they're driven too fast and are attractive to children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread