Status
Not open for further replies.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
Well, no kidding, who da thunk it. If the taxes were more reasonable, smuggling wouldn't be such a problem, and the states would get more of that tax money. Dumb azzes.

"There are some pretty big underground cigarette markets in the U.S.
Smuggled cigarettes make up substantial portions of cigarette consumption in many states, and greater than 20% of consumption in 15 states, according to the Tax Foundation."

Black markets for cigarettes correlated with excise taxes on cigarettes - Business Insider

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Smuggling has a great tradition in the US. (and elsewhere).

Americans with Attitudes: Smuggling in Colonial America | Libertarianism.org

"As a result of salutary neglect, smuggling was rampant in the colonies, and most Americans saw nothing wrong with it. They did not look kindly on government interference with their commercial activities. They agreed with Thomas Jefferson that free trade is a “natural right.”

For example, in 1756 and 1757, some 400 chests of tea were imported into Philadelphia, but only sixteen were imported legally. Indeed, three-quarters or more of the tea consumed by Americans was illegal. In 1763, the British government estimated the value of commodities smuggled into the colonies at 700,000 pounds annually, an enormous sum at that time."

For all the boasting of 'raising taxes on cigarettes', many in TC never mention the smuggling that is a certainty to occur. As it will be with ecigs as well.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
The Czech Republic solved this issue. Low taxes on cigarettes and set standard prices for cigarettes. Cigarettes cost the same anywhere- whether they be bought at a kiosk, grocery store or at a bar. Really nice the first few times I went there when I was a smoker, as I never had to worry about running out of cigarettes at a bar or club...

Reactions: oplholik

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
For all the boasting of 'raising taxes on cigarettes', many in TC never mention the smuggling that is a certainty to occur. As it will be with ecigs as well.

That'll teach the kids not to smoke/vape. Nor to engage in criminal activity at a young age.

That whole "for the children" thing takes on a double meaning when one looks honestly at the available data.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
That'll teach the kids not to smoke/vape. Nor to engage in criminal activity at a young age.

That whole "for the children" thing takes on a double meaning when one looks honestly at the available data.

The 'kids' are recruited in the smuggling trade. Another 'unintended consequence'.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The Czech Republic solved this issue. Low taxes on cigarettes and set standard prices for cigarettes. Cigarettes cost the same anywhere- whether they be bought at a kiosk, grocery store or at a bar. Really nice the first few times I went there when I was a smoker, as I never had to worry about running out of cigarettes at a bar or club...
You don't need the "government" to set standard prices or lower the taxes for the same result to occur.
Just have the "government" get the hell out of the way, and the same result will occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread