Travel and Vaping Amtrak responds to vaping inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternityroad

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
Does anybody really still use trains for transportation?!

I use them yearly to take my vacation and do not fly. No long wait times, bodily scans, etc. It is easy to vape on the trains. Often the train makes whistle stops for 15 minutes and they allow tobacco users to use their analogues by the side of the train. I also used the bathrooms to vape on my last trip. At the time I had a model that looked like a cigarette. Now I have a Riva and can probably get away with vaping in my seat.

popsec

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
www.vtvapor.com
Since I (and my company) used to spend (before they came out with this policy) hundreds of dollars every week on Amtrak travel (and have ceased to do so since this policy was articulated), I have received numerous "offers" trying to get me to start riding again. I finally decided I would let them know precisely why I am no longer using their services. Bellow is the letter I sent:
Just wanted to offer some insight from a (former) frequent rider - the "no personal vaporizer" (e-cigarette) policy is, in fact, costing you business. My money and corporate funds have not been and will not be spent with Amtrak until it revises this policy; a policy that appears to have no articulated rational basis. This policy was posted at http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/travel-e-cig/111829-amtrak-responds-vaping-inquiry.html and I am sure that others have forgone and will continue to forgo traveling with Amtrak as a result.

All the best,

Adam B. Tredwell
President, Vermont Vapor, Inc.

I suppose I should have sent it sooner. I've always just voted with my wallet. However, as was recently pointed out to me, if I don't provide an explanation, it rarely proves fruitful if the goal is to change the offending policy or behavior. ~~Adam

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Since I (and my company) used to spend (before they came out with this policy) hundreds of dollars every week on Amtrak travel (and have ceased to do so since this policy was articulated), I have received numerous "offers" trying to get me to start riding again. I finally decided I would let them know precisely why I am no longer using their services. Bellow is the letter I sent:

I suppose I should have sent it sooner. I've always just voted with my wallet. However, as was recently pointed out to me, if I don't provide an explanation, it rarely proves fruitful if the goal is to change the offending policy or behavior. ~~Adam

Nice, hit them where it hurts.

I have never been on amtrak but take the train in Europe and Asia quite a bit, never had any problems stealth vaping.

I just sent them another inquiry as they have NOTHING posted online under their "policy" under smoking...which Vaping is not!
I tried calling them and got a "due to the expected snowstorm in the NE we are only taking calls from people who have reservations for this area"
I also would vape just to see and have a printed copy of their "policy" with me which clearly says nothing either way!

Last edited:

Eternityroad

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada

Please post the reply if you would. I won't be taking the train until the Fall. Maybe they will, by then, have come to their senses.

If they bother to respond, I certainly will post it here. My guess is that the business of one customer - even a good customer - is not going to change anything. But, if vapers start making conscious decisions to support "vape-friendly" businesses (like airlines, restaurants, bars, etc. without "no vaping" policies), and they hear from us explaining why they've lost our business, it may cause change. Because, let's face it, the most important thing for any business is revenue.

--Oh, BTW, this is Adam (I now have a "supplier associate" account and don't need to post using "popsec" anymore)

slappy

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago
I can understand Amtrak's policy. Amtrak runs through many states where vaping has been banned. The Conductors would have to know every states laws governing vaping, and be accountable for enforcing compliance. Since vaping is relatively new, and laws are in a state of flux, this may be why Amtrak policy is a flat "no"... at this point in time.

This reminds me of train travel and "dry" states. Club cars are closed and no alcohol served. Some states prohibit all alcohol; some are more lenient and allow beer & wine, no spirits. Some states have restrictions on hours and days for serving/purchase. Yes, Conductors have to know this, and keep abrest of any/all changes to state & local laws where their trains transit.

Any one remember when legal drinking age was 18 in some localities, and 21 in others? Conductors had to have an encyclopedic knowledge of when & where their passengers could imbibe. LOL. A bit of train travel trivia.

One would think multistate transportation would be under federal control. Much like gambling on riverboats are legal but not in the ports they stop in. All things being equal.

slappy

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago
I personally think that once everyone stops calling them electronic cigarettes, things will start to get better. We need to split ourselves from our analog pasts and doing it on this site would be a good start. I personally do not use standard PV but pre-built mods like the V3 which does not look like a cigarette for a reason.

I agree whole heartedly. ECF should be renamed PVF or just VF.

slappy

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago
I disagree. The policy is based on misinformation and lies about the nature of vapor and ecigs, whether they've factored in some hypothetical passenger's disapproval or not - because that very passenger disapproval or paranoia is itself based on the misinformation or outright lies being spread everywhere about ecigs.

Vapor is most definitely NOT smoke. Vapor is harmless, odorless and wholly inoffensive, and there is no defensible or rational basis to prohibit the use of ecigs on trains, or in any other public places.

Nor is there any need or reason to blow "billows" of vapor at people either, however. Common sense and common courtesy are all that is required. When I used my ecig throughout a two day there and back train trip recently, no one even knew about it.

As much as I agree with all the evidence, two issues still remain.

First, the train is owned and operated by Amtrak. If they allowing vaping, it's a privilege. If they do not, it's their right to do so. I don't think any law would/could change that right.

Second, I hold common courtesy high above most social interactions. Even thought others do not. Yes, I am annoyed at loud talkers (cell phone or otherwise), bad perfume, and irritable bowls. However, unfortunately those are things that are not widely stigmatized as smoking or socially similar vaping. It's about social acceptability.

All that being said, I will stealth vape if the need arises. Childish or not.

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
I can understand Amtrak's policy. Amtrak runs through many states where vaping has been banned. The Conductors would have to know every states laws governing vaping, and be accountable for enforcing compliance. Since vaping is relatively new, and laws are in a state of flux, this may be why Amtrak policy is a flat "no"... at this point in time.

I must have missed this when posted.

What "many states" where vaping has been banned? There are no "many states" where vaping has been banned!

To date, there is exactly ONE state that implemented a state-wide ban on vaping in public places, and a few localites (county, city, or town). I acknowledge that there are other potential use bans proposed and yet to be proposed - but none others in effect at this time.

TwistedInFresno

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2011
Fresno, CA
My experience, a couple of months ago, was definitely more positive. I was riding Amtrak from Fresno, CA to San Bernadino. This route you change to an Amtrak bus in Bakersfield, for the remainder of the trip (the tracks don't go over the Grapevine). On this trip, and my infrequent trips between Fresno and Modesto, I just explain to any passengers near me what i'm doing, what "vaping" is and why it's different from smoking. So far, no one has ever objected (maybe because i ask so politely?). The cool thing though, was the busdriver. At the station in San Bernadino, he saw me vaping outside the bus, just before we left, and told me that it was harmless, and i could vape on the bus! I actually thought it must be Amtrak policy...I guess it was just his own policy. Whatever...I haven't had a problem yet! I do attempt to be inconspicuous and breathe out as little visible vapor as possible.

Cuss

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2011
1 AU from the Sun (SoCal)
As much as I agree with all the evidence, two issues still remain.

First, the train is owned and operated by Amtrak. If they allowing vaping, it's a privilege. If they do not, it's their right to do so. I don't think any law would/could change that right.

Second, I hold common courtesy high above most social interactions. Even thought others do not. Yes, I am annoyed at loud talkers (cell phone or otherwise), bad perfume, and irritable bowls. However, unfortunately those are things that are not widely stigmatized as smoking or socially similar vaping. It's about social acceptability.

All that being said, I will stealth vape if the need arises. Childish or not.

Although I do agree with you completely, Amtrak is owned and operated by the government, they aren't a private business. I have complete respect for private business' right to control their business environment. But the Libertarian in me wants to argue with Amtrak haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread