Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
You were able to create a 2 ohm wire that fits into an atomizer using this?

Make sure that you aren't reading lead resistance on your ohm meter. You have to subtract that reading from the final. I'm betting that your creation will result in a virtual dead short when you try it.

I think you might have misunderstood. Certain atties (mainly GG atties) use non resistance silver or nickel wire joined to a length of standard resistance wire (nichrome or kanthal) to make a complete coil assembly. The atties have terminals that are some way from the coil, so the non resistance wire basically extends the coil wire to make the connection to the terminals.

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I think you might have misunderstood. Certain atties (mainly GG atties) use non resistance silver or nickel wire joined to a length of standard resistance wire (nichrome or kanthal) to make a complete coil assembly. The atties have terminals that are some way from the coil, so the non resistance wire basically extends the coil wire to make the connection to the terminals.

Thanks for the explanation on GG atties.
These silver pins I'm sure are not pure silver. But I do get better ohm readings on the multimeter from joining this and the Kanthal together rather than using the pure nickel wire I have as a non-resistance wire.

Maybe silver is better after all...And maybe there's no silver in these pins. It doesn't say what they are made of on the package.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla

epetrillo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2012
Riverside, CA
Many of us have been using pure silver wire for a long time, it's very conductive and probably the best to use, you can buy it by the foot/roll here at good pricing = Sterling Silver Wire Round 30 gauge, Half Hard, Wholesale 5 feet, 10 feet etc, $1.75 Flat Rate Shipping. Free Shipping For Order Over $35. | AppletreeGemsems

You might want to try this place Fine Silver Wire for Jewelry, Wire Wrapping, Earrings by Rio Grande Jewelry Making Supplies for your silver wire. Shipping is a bit high but I got 50' of .999 30 ga round dead soft for $10.45 which more than makes up for the shipping.

Phoenix07013

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2012
clarkston, mi, USA

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the links and info guys.

I already knew about the silver wire. I bought 100 feet of pure nickel wire for cheap to use as non-resistant wire for my RBA and me being new to the RBA part I figured 'what's the difference?' I mean how bad could it be using pure nickel wire compared to silver wire?

Well if these pins from Walmart (link in my OP) have just a little silver in them then I wonder how the .999 silver is.

I'm definitely going to get some .999 silver wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread