Status
Not open for further replies.

harpo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2009
Yuba City, California
The flips up atty is designed to workat any angle, from open all the way to the closed position. When its in the closed position, the atty/carto blocks the button and dial from being moved.

So what prevents the juice from leaking out in the full down position?

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
I've been using Variable Voltage devices for well over 5 months now, and nothing comes close to adjusting your voltage/wattage to suit your juice/atty/carto, its just that awesome! Unless this particular unit is reasonably priced eg... under $125 you may win me over. But as previously stated, I aint no noob when it comes to variables...

There is no way that's coming in under $125.00. Nice concept but a little over the top and I'd probably get pulled over for driving while talking on a cell phone. It is impressive though but what's the warranty time on it.

I dont have all the answers, but will try my best:

Harpo, i use a carto, so it doesnt leak in any position. As far as atty use, as long as the atty is not flooded, i would think it wouldnt leak. So far, when I put it in my shirt pocket, i swing the arm down into the closed position and use it like a clip on a pen. No leaks so far.

Industrial- The battery life i am being told, is 1 1/2- 2 full days. It does not use regular rechargeable batteries, it uses battery cells i think they called it, which have a life span of 3-5 years. The charging is a regular mini USB.

5card- I have no idea of the price point, but like you said i highly doubt its in the $125 range. I believe the warranty is a full year for the device.

Rowdy- The finished product will be more polished or anodized , the EVOLV and DARWIN I believe will be much smaller as well.

harpo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2009
Yuba City, California
I dont have all the answers, but will try my best:

Harpo, i use a carto, so it doesnt leak in any position. As far as atty use, as long as the atty is not flooded, i would think it wouldnt leak. So far, when I put it in my shirt pocket, i swing the arm down into the closed position and use it like a clip on a pen. No leaks so far.

Thanks Mutt. With an atty even if you don't flood it eventually the juice in the cup will come out if held upside down long enough.

IcaBoD

Unregistered Supplier
Mar 24, 2010
Ohio USA
www.evolvapor.com
I think there is some confusion about what Darwin actually is; Darwin is the 1st power regulating mod, it is not a variable voltage mod.

So what's the difference?
Darwin regulates watts. Watts (or more commonly called "power") are the combination of volts and amps. So Darwin controls both volts and amps (current).

Why is that important?
Because if you control watts you control heat. Specifically the heat produced at the atomizer/cartomizer coil.

So how does that make Darwin a better PV?
*consistency from the time you hit the button till you let off. No heat fluctuations or sag like in a variable voltage mod.
*Tons of vapor and TH. A variable voltage only regulates voltage, amps are left to fluctuate wildly causing good hits and bad ones and as the batteries weaken the vapor is reduced.
*atomizer independent: Darwin detects the resistance of the atomizer and makes adjustments up to 1000 times per second, ensuring that it supplies the wattage you chose. That means no matter what atomizer you put on it, the hit will be the same. You can switch between 801, 901, 510, HV, LR, it will give you the same draw every single time.

I could go on and on, hope that makes it a little clearer.

Rowdy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
Georgia
I think there is some confusion about what Darwin actually is; Darwin is the 1st power regulating mod, it is not a variable voltage mod.

So what's the difference?
Darwin regulates watts. Watts (or more commonly called "power") are the combination of volts and amps. So Darwin controls both volts and amps (current).

Why is that important?
Because if you control watts you control heat. Specifically the heat produced at the atomizer/cartomizer coil.

So how does that make Darwin a better PV?
*consistency from the time you hit the button till you let off. No heat fluctuations or sag like in a variable voltage mod.
*Tons of vapor and TH. A variable voltage only regulates voltage, amps are left to fluctuate wildly causing good hits and bad ones and as the batteries weaken the vapor is reduced.
*atomizer independent: Darwin detects the resistance of the atomizer and makes adjustments up to 1000 times per second, ensuring that it supplies the wattage you chose. That means no matter what atomizer you put on it, the hit will be the same. You can switch between 801, 901, 510, HV, LR, it will give you the same draw every single time.

I could go on and on, hope that makes it a little clearer.

Thanks IcaBod that does help imho.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI

Amps will only "fluctuate wildly" if the atomizer or cartomizer resistance fluctuates wildly. On a per atomizer or cartomizer basis, this doesn't happen.

And as far as "as the batteries weaken the vapor is reduced" is concerned..... not really true. On most all variable voltage mods the true voltage output will remain constant as the batteries "weaken" or sag.. up until the battery voltage drops below the cutoff voltage (margin) for the regulator circuit. A good VV mod will simply "turn off" at that point.

jimho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
New York
Technically it's a great idea and is evolutionary to get people thinking about their sweetspots in terms of watts given batteries and attys are inconsistent - I love what you did here from an electronics perspective, but I seriously urge you to rethink the packaging- it looks like one of those combination name tag/pen holder/calculator jobs on a bank managers desk. I don't mean to be disparaging but that chassis is a non starter for me and i'm sure many others - most people who have the money this is going to cost won't spend it on something that looks like this.

Here are a couple more pictures.

013-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread