Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
While re-wrapping an 1860 yesterday I grabbed the top of the naked battery and my wedding band shorted it. This turned my ring into the largest and most expensive single wrap coil in vaping history. By the time I had registered the searing pain and gotten the ring off my finger, the entire top layer of skin had come away on a 90 degree arc. I’m judging this to be a 3rd degree burn as it doesn’t actually hurt very much, and it’s left a really deep trough in my finger. I’ve had to recycle the battery as the top insulator was damaged, and I have no idea how many amps I pulled out of it and therefore what internal damage was done. The burnt skin was fairly easy to remove from the ring.
I’ll refrain from posting pictures as I don’t think anyone needs to see that.

I’m not afraid to not look cool if it helps someone else to avoid getting injured. The batteries we use for vaping are dangerous and have the potential to injure us, so don’t get complacent.

Be safe vaping brethren.

George T

Moved On
Aug 30, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Underaged registrant

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Note to self: meat is not a good wicking material.

What? Not enough cloud?

Serious, glad you're OK. If it really is that deep a burn it is probably wise to have someone look at it and get some burn cream on there (the good stuff is prescription only in the US). Glad the ring is OK too. And glad you're OK after having to pull your own burnt skin out of it, that's sorta messy.

And yes, these are 20A batteries which pack a punch. Did the battery vent as well?

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
woot we have matching scars... different reasons though, lol, I'm just allergic to my silver wedding ring(cobalt chloride allergy, basically I'm allergic to all metals, fish etc, it's fun! not...). my hubby technically owns a wedding ring, I think he's worn it maybe 3 times? as a mechanic though he never wears it to work, because it's a safety hazard, and most of the time his knuckles are too swollen to even get it on anyhow. I actually only take mine off to recoat it in nail polish, because it hides the burn scar it gave me, this is making me rethink that view. it's obvious when you think about it, thankfully a store an hour or so away does offer a rewrapping service, I think i'll take them up on it when the time comes.

I second see someone about the burn.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
What? Not enough cloud?

Serious, glad you're OK. If it really is that deep a burn it is probably wise to have someone look at it and get some burn cream on there (the good stuff is prescription only in the US). Glad the ring is OK too. And glad you're OK after having to pull your own burnt skin out of it, that's sorta messy.
And yes, these are 20A batteries which pack a punch. Did the battery vent as well?

No venting just burning. I hate seeing doctors

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
yeah well tough... so does my hubby... and I made him go to the hospital this morning before allowing him to go on his hunting trip... he wasn't wearing his safety goggles... again.. and got rust in his eye two days ago. yep he scratched up his lenses again *mutters*. don't make the wife have to pull a mommy on you to make you go lol.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
yeah well tough... so does my hubby... and I made him go to the hospital this morning before allowing him to go on his hunting trip... he wasn't wearing his safety goggles... again.. and got rust in his eye two days ago. yep he scratched up his lenses again *mutters*. don't make the wife have to pull a mommy on you to make you go lol.

Ooh, oww. That really does have to be dealt with, as any iron that's embedded for a period of time will leave a permanent rust ring on the white of the eye.

No venting just burning. I hate seeing doctors

Lucky it didn't vent too, that wouldn't have felt terrific on your hand either. We all (well a lot of us) don't like seeing doctors, but do take care of it. A significant burn on a finger can result in long term issues if it doesn't heal well, even if it is only your ring finger. Feel better (that's gonna hurt and throb if it doesn't already, ice, lots of ice).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread