An Unusual Vaping Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
dont try that trick when working on a car starter motor... but if you are interested... ground ring on any metal part of car near starter, then move ring towards the + post of the solinoid while keeping ring firmly in contact with metal of any other part. When contact occurs with + post , look for lots of sparks and glowing red ring, yank hand hard from area and start bleeding profusely... :)

which is why my mechanic hubby never wears his lol... actually he refuses to wear any metal.. especially belt buckles, but they're because they can scratch the crap out of a paint job.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
rings can be very dangerous objects. Hubby almost ripped his finger off with one when he jumped off an airplane way back when his duty station was an aircraft carrier and his job was keeping the radios in tip top shape. Seems there was the head of a screw sticking out. his ring hung up on it when he jumped off the wing to the deck.

Thank you for the heads up SB :thumbs: Hopefully it will keep it from happening to anyone else.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Dang.. now that's what I call bad luck and truly a bad scenario.

I know that I keep repeating myself in any thread about batteries and how they have to be respected, as the power they hold, and how instant getting short is, but this is a great example, and I hope everyone reads it.

Hopefully you're ok and the incident didn't do any internal nerve damage!

Reactions: sonicbomb

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Glad to hear you are ok, and thanks for posting to remind others about safe battery practices.

I doubt that you have a third degree burn. Third degree is when all layers of the skin are removed where only the fat & muscle remain.

First degree is where the top layer (epidermis) of skin is damaged. The skin appears reddened and may slough off later. Second layer of skin (dermis) is still intact.

Second degree is where both layers are damaged, and there is usually blistering of the skin.

--- First, Second, and Third Degree Burns

Reactions: Zutankhamun

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Glad to hear you are ok, and thanks for posting to remind others about safe battery practices.

I doubt that you have a third degree burn. Third degree is when all layers of the skin are removed where only the fat & muscle remain.

First degree is where the top layer (epidermis) of skin is damaged. The skin appears reddened and may slough off later. Second layer of skin (dermis) is still intact.

Second degree is where both layers are damaged, and there is usually blistering of the skin.

Thanks. You learn something new everyday. I'm glad op is cool but I thought it was the other way round as well.
As in 3rd degree is worse.

Edit: all these reasons for me to stay free and single :thumbs:

Or lonely...:cry:

Last edited:
Reactions: Eskie

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser

I read up on it myself before posting. The whole top layer is gone, no skin left just fat and connective tissue at the bottom of the hole. What made me think it was 3rd degree was the almost complete lack of pain. Maybe it's 2.75 degree, it' not important.
I got it checked out by the GP and she told me to keep doing what I've been doing as in keeping it clean and dressed. It's going to scar but I'll be fine.

Thanks for the concern all, it's greatly appreciated.

ZTMOmS6.gif

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Been there.... 12v, 650a Battery

Not fun

That'll wake you up. 650A battery? Even at 12V, that's a lot of current.
I read up on it myself before posting. The whole top layer is gone, no skin left just fat and connective tissue at the bottom of the hole. What made me think it was 3rd degree was the almost complete lack of pain. Maybe it's 2.75 degree, it' not important.
I got it checked out by the GP and she told me to keep doing what I've been doing as in keeping it clean and dressed. It's going to scar but I'll be fine.

Thanks for the concern all, it's greatly appreciated.

That does sound like a full thickness burn. Glad it's healing up, and it was worth having your GP take a peek at it. Burns like that are not to be trifled with. At least your ring will hide the scar.

Reactions: sonicbomb

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I have a couple batteries to re wrap, my first try at this. I can't get my ring off anymore, so I'll try wrapping my finger with an electrical tape bandage.

Wearing a Latex Glove on your hand might be Easier the Electrical Tape.

Or if you have a Pair of those Silicone Oven Gloves, they work Great. Because you can Blast the Blow Dryer on them and your fingers Don't get Hot at all.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
I don't mean any offence but this is an insane topic.
I can't believe that guys are being told the best way to protect their fingers from wedding rings is with gloves and butter :eek:!!!
when reskinning their batteries for vaping.
A short term solution surely?

I would have thought that the answer would be to lose some/enough weight so you can take the ring off?

But hey, that's just me.

Edit: actually, if you have problems with dexterity or hands in general (or a medical condition leading to weight gain), then fair enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread