And now they're coming after drippers.......Monday morning junk science edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
Off topic but I gotta say I'm a huge Boogie Nights fan.

Anyway, I've never tried the dripping method so I'm quite ignorant on the matter. Are these Scary Dripping articles another one of these examples of touting the dangers of something by using it in a way that no one plans on using it?

Last edited:
Reactions: EddieAdams

Epsilonsama

Dec 26, 2016
Look, cigarettes are bad for you. Period. No one should smoke. I get that and think it's a wonderful Utopian dream filled with glitter and unicorns for it to happen. But despite all the warnings, public service ads, and relentless campaigns to eliminate smoking there are still a lot of folks who do. Sure, I wish I had never picked up my first cigarette but too late now.

The ANTZ crowd seem to think in a classically Puritanical way that any addiction can be overcome with will power alone or you're too weak. That same philosophy is applied to other areas of life and personal habits as well. They don't get it, either because they've never dealt with an addiction, or were among the lucky Lotto winners who could do it through cold turkey. Even the medical establishment has long given up on the abstinence/cold turkey method as it's well recognized for the low success rate. NRT offered another approach that worked for some and great for them.

Now we have vaping. Anecdotally it is the only thing that worked for me, and likely for lots of others around here. It's another tool that is probably at least as effective as current treatments and with good documentation over time, will likely turn out to be far superior. If they take it away, they should bear the responsibility and be held accountable for the harm they will cause me and so many others. Will that happen? Of course not, because who takes responsibility for their actions anymore in our society. It's always someone else's fault.

While I'm one of the lucky ones that can quit anything anytime I like but I feel for the people who can't quit cold turkey. vaping is a great way to quit smoking and that's a fact. I believe that the goverment has no business in regulating vices. I personally like to vape because of the clouds and the flavors and like the nic buzz I get when I chain vape as well.

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York

Anyway, I've never tried the dripping method so I'm quite ignorant on the matter. Are these Scary Dripping articles another one of these examples of touting the dangers of something by using it in a way that no one plans on using it?

I love boogie nights. Awesome just picking up on that. There really is no major difference between a well built tank and dripping aside from available airflow. IMHO a well built, well designed dripper is better than a tank any day though. Just is...

FDA BOC

DID IT!! Blew my first smoke dragon, Although the hardest part was blowing the watermark part of it.

9cbd738aee9a2386fee598ec8cb2600a.jpg

MrCloudMaker said that, This article, was. Articulated, in a way. That Sentence, structure and or nor grammer does not count very much at all, MRCloudMaker was not part of the study.

Akrotiri

Moved On
Oct 4, 2016
I get your point of getting the facts out there. We have how many vape associations with science backing them up and ZERO media outlets have picked it up. A billion lives(yay another premiere Kazakhstan),casaa, I've signed a dozen petitions...still we get these stories. Vaping isn't fringe anymore so ignorant, click-bait articles like this are inexcusable.

CNN shouldn't be allowed to be called news anymore. Sorry if I came off wrong. Tired of the lack of accountability in the media. Especially CNN. Large portion of the population still takes the news at their word which makes getting the initial story correct all the more important. There's a responsibility there and as such, accountability...

FDA BOC

Bernie sanders called them fake news too yesterday while he was on cnn and they cut the feed. They are fake news and they censor the truth. Those are the facts.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Its called "controlling the narrative".

Its a proven technique used by "intelligence agencies" for decades.

They want to change your perspective and perception.

Thats why the media says "kids".
Replace "kids" with "grown adults" and it has a totally different effect.

Eventually most people will get tired of having their intelligence insulted, and being treated like we are idiots, and these bloggers masquarading as journalists will go the way of the Dodo.

NOVA jon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2014
Northern virginia
DID IT!! Blew my first smoke dragon, Although the hardest part was blowing the watermark part of it.

9cbd738aee9a2386fee598ec8cb2600a.jpg

MrCloudMaker said that, This article, was. Articulated, in a way. That Sentence, structure and or nor grammer does not count very much at all, MRCloudMaker was not part of the study.

Pure awesomeness!!!

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I really tried to wait until getting to the end of the thread before replying, but couldn't do it...
That misguided studies are being used to fuel public fear, in order to effect or substantiate policy decisions.
Wait, so you want truth to guide policy?
That's so yesterday.

Actually, I'm not even sure that has ever happened in human history.
But technology has made it worse, while also offering the possibility of making it better.

It's just a matter of who controls the flow of information.
I'm just wary of aiming for imaginary goalposts, they seem even easier to move.
That is an awesome quote there, Lessifer.
Did you make that up?
On another note, is us the consumers of the media who only respond to bad news? hmmf bit of philosophy there for you ha
The philosophy can get pretty deep at this point.

Does the media create and drive the market in order to peddle an agenda?
Or does the news consumer drive the media to provide infotainment?

The news media HAS been consolidated into the hands of a few powerful people.

But at the same time, when there is an accident on the side of the road, I purposely do not look.
So that traffic jam you have to deal with? Don't blame it on me.
;)

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Eventually most people will get tired of having their intelligence insulted, and being treated like we are idiots, and these bloggers masquarading as journalists will go the way of the Dodo.
I so want to believe this.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I really tried to wait until getting to the end of the thread before replying, but couldn't do it...

Wait, so you want truth to guide policy?
That's so yesterday.

Actually, I'm not even sure that has ever happened in human history.
But technology has made it worse, while also offering the possibility of making it better.

It's just a matter of who controls the flow of information.

That is an awesome quote there, Lessifer.
Did you make that up?

The philosophy can get pretty deep at this point.

Does the media create and drive the market in order to peddle an agenda?
Or does the news consumer drive the media to provide infotainment?

The news media HAS been consolidated into the hands of a few powerful people.

But at the same time, when there is an accident on the side of the road, I purposely do not look.
So that traffic jam you have to deal with? Don't blame it on me.
;)
I live under the fantasy that as humans have access to more knowledge, that knowledge influences their behavior, while fully recognizing that it is a fantasy.

Also, I think I made that line up, about the goalposts, at least I don't remember reading it anywhere. Glad you like it, feel free to use it :)

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I live under the fantasy that as humans have access to more knowledge, that knowledge influences their behavior, while fully recognizing that it is a fantasy.

Also, I think I made that line up, about the goalposts, at least I don't remember reading it anywhere. Glad you like it, feel free to use it :)

There is a flip side to readily available information, especially these days with web based dissemination the primary means. Any news, whether an even next door, or an event halfway around the world, can carry a degree of immediacy news never did before. Being able to view events in real time increases a sense of importance on a bit of information that in reality has little or no effect on our daily lives. It also reinforces the ADD like direction traditional news media has developed, as attention grabbing stories are far more important to hold an audience than thoughtful presentation of events that might well be too boring and result in clicking off to some other talking head.

Information may be empowering, but power is too often created by manipulating that information to suit one's individual agenda. Which is why teen dripping is as threatening to our nation as a North Korean missile test is. Actually, I think the dripping story got more airtime than the North Korean test.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Knowledge influencing behavior is labeled a fantasy.
That's going to leave a mark.
:laugh:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
There is a flip side to readily available information, especially these days with web based dissemination the primary means. Any news, whether an even next door, or an event halfway around the world, can carry a degree of immediacy news never did before. Being able to view events in real time increases a sense of importance on a bit of information that in reality has little or no effect on our daily lives. It also reinforces the ADD like direction traditional news media has developed, as attention grabbing stories are far more important to hold an audience than thoughtful presentation of events that might well be too boring and result in clicking off to some other talking head.

Information may be empowering, but power is too often created by manipulating that information to suit one's individual agenda. Which is why teen dripping is as threatening to our nation as a North Korean missile test is. Actually, I think the dripping story got more airtime than the North Korean test.

Knowledge influencing behavior is labeled a fantasy.
That's going to leave a mark.
:laugh:

there's a necessary component, being able to filter that knowledge into useful information, that seems to be lacking.

I have hope though: The new civics course in US schools: How to spot fake news

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
there's a necessary component, being able to filter that knowledge into useful information, that seems to be lacking.

I have hope though: The new civics course in US schools: How to spot fake news

That may be good, it's sad that people my age believe every single thing they hear. My great grandma used to say "believe half of what you see and none of what you hear" I still have that mindset today and it's done me well. You have to have multiple sources of information, even when I started vaping I read about how bad vaping was and then I read Dr Farsalinos' report.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
That may be good, it's sad that people my age believe every single thing they hear. My great grandma used to say "believe half of what you see and none of what you hear" I still have that mindset today and it's done me well. You have to have multiple sources of information, even when I started vaping I read about how bad vaping was and then I read Dr Farsalinos' report.
Information is at our fingertips, but in some ways that makes it harder. How many people will see the same story regurgitated by multiple news sources, and consider that verified truth? Unfortunately we can no longer trust that any news source has done something other than parrot what they found somewhere else.

Think about the "developmental effects of nicotine" that are mentioned in any and every story about teens and vaping. It's based on one animal study, all of it. Is that ever mentioned? No.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country

Its because critical thinking skills are no longer taught to our youth.

Kids are taught what to think instead of how to think.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Its because critical thinking skills are no longer taught to our youth.

Kids are taught what to think instead of how to think.
I don't place all the blame on education. This newest generation, their goal in life is to become internet famous. They place a higher priority on bottle flipping and making memes than having career aspirations. I'm not sure where the failure is, I'm sure there's more than one.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I don't place all the blame on education.

Gotta be pretty close.

The school thinks my youngest is an anomaly. A genius.

Because the education system refuses to evolve to readily available, free to the public and readily accepted by children standards that even youtube provides.

EVERY child could be advanced AT LEAST 2 grade levels prior to leaving grade school EASILY.

Teaching what to think and to the lowest common denominator the least effective way possible leaves no room for enlightenment or eye opening in the curriculum.

Hence abysmal common core standards as a high point goal.

Sigh...

Tapatyped

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014

RDA's have been around as long as tanks. This is fake news based on fake science. Yale was my father's alma mater. I used to respect that school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread