ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2015
image.jpg

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
West Virginia... has the highest smoking rates in the nation.

Established in 1989, the Coalition for a tobacco Free West Virginia (CTFWV) is a statewide organization made up of private citizens and member organizations representing a cross-section of West Virginia, including health care organizations, public and private businesses, schools, civic organizations and interested individuals.

Seems this more about ignorance than mallice and one group that would greatly benefit from screening "A Billion Lives". Someone should write them a polite letter pointing out how badly they are misinformed and misdirected on this issue.

TVC70

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2011
AZ, USA
"There is no evidence that E-cigs are healthy without any risks."

Not too many people are saying that they are healthy or without risk. What many DO say (including health officials in the UK) is that current evidence shows that ecigs are significantly less harmful than smoking (up to 95%).

"E-cigs have not been a proven tool to help quit smoking."

Except for the millions of us who've quit smoking in favor of vaping.

"They increase addiction to nicotine."

Again, except for the millions of us who went from smoking to vaping 18 to 24mg/ml and are now at 3-4mg/ml or even down to 0mg. There's also the increasing evidence that nicotine on its own is not nearly as addictive as previously thought.

Other than those points, I agree wholeheartedly with the billboard...:rolleyes::thumbs:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
But, ecigs easily get people off tobacco, a known killer. Why not just ban cigarettes? Oh wait, they are the good guys because they pay the states over $6B each year in tobacco settlement payments. We have to protect them. They've paid out about $106B since the MSA payments started.

https://www.tobaccofreekids.org/research/factsheets/pdf/0365.pdf

Let's see ... if it's addictive and that's a reason to ban it, let's talk about sugar, chocolate, caffeinated coffee, tea, cookies, cake, and soft drinks (not to mention Cheeseburgers and French Fries).

The 18 Most Addictive Foods (And the 17 Least Addictive)

Last edited:

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
But, ecigs easily get people off tobacco, a known killer. Why not just ban cigarettes? Oh wait, they are the good guys because they pay the states over $2B each year in tobacco settlement payments. We have to protect them.

Let's see ... if it's addictive and that's a reason to ban it, let's talk about sugar, chocolate, caffeinated coffee, tea, cookies, cake, and soft drinks (not to mention Cheeseburgers and French Fries).

The 18 Most Addictive Foods (And the 17 Least Addictive)
Actually more like $20 billion minimum in state tobacco tax and MSA payments. The state and federal govt skim 65% of all USA retail tobacco sales

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Actually more like $20 billion minimum in state tobacco tax and MSA payments. The state and federal govt skim 65% of all USA retail tobacco sales

You are right, it's much more. I edited my OP with a link that shows actual yearly payments averaging about $6B and a $106B cumulative total to date.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Except the kind for 50 miles either side of Wall Drug. Keep those. :p
I saw a Wall Drug sign in Amsterdam.
That was awesome.

Actually, it was beyond awesome.
But I was in no mood to quibble about degrees of awesomeness.

By the way, their "coffee shops" serve more than just coffee.
:laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveP

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
I saw a Wall Drug sign in Amsterdam.
That was awesome.

Actually, it was beyond awesome.
But I was in no mood to quibble about degrees of awesomeness.

By the way, their "coffee shops" serve more than just coffee.
:laugh:

First... that is awesome. :p

Second... you mean the "cafes".
Coffee shops sell coffee, cafes have that um... broader menu. :D

I hope the difference is obvious... so as to not scare the folk from Peoria. :eek:

:p

Reactions: DC2

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
"There is no evidence that E-cigs are healthy without any risks."

Not too many people are saying that they are healthy or without risk. What many DO say (including health officials in the UK) is that current evidence shows that ecigs are significantly less harmful than smoking (up to 95%).

"E-cigs have not been a proven tool to help quit smoking."

Except for the millions of us who've quit smoking in favor of vaping.

"They increase addiction to nicotine."

Again, except for the millions of us who went from smoking to vaping 18 to 24mg/ml and are now at 3-4mg/ml or even down to 0mg. There's also the increasing evidence that nicotine on its own is not nearly as addictive as previously thought.

Other than those points, I agree wholeheartedly with the billboard...:rolleyes::thumbs:
In their 2015 e-cigarette survey the CDC had to acknowledge that 1:5 ex smokers that quit the past year used ecigs. Apparently not proof enough in this Orwellian world we live in. All those ex smokers now airbrushed out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread