Another mod accident but this one has me baffled

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
...my fear with the fda ruling if the ban everything made after 2007 the streets will be covered with home made mech mods made from easy to get flashlights with no protection or venting built in and these storys will be all over the place and instead of admitting to there mistake of banning safer products they will just push the blame on vaping in general.
You're right. If the FDA restricts devices there will be more mechs floating around and more accidents. I wonder if they have considered that?

You are also right that may be the force was out the bottom and pushed the device towards his face. A photo of the bottom of the mod would be helpful.

jazon1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2012
Phoenix,AZ
"battery way too hot". What?

if you have a sub ohm set up and are running the coils at to low of an ohm for your batterys you over tax them making them very hot,that was a solid copper device and would carry and hold the heat from the batterys very effectively so he would have defiantly felt the mod getting hot in his hands and should have known something was wrong....these things are not ticking time bombs waiting to go off batterys show signs before they go poof heat is a big indicator..

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Idiots making statements like this will not help matters either.
This woman needs a Battery safety course.:facepalm:
Amp load is Drawn, not forced. The higher the amperage capability, the less likely to explode:censored:

"This is way too powerful to power this," Mary Grace Burns of VaporWize told Fox13.

"Way too hot of a battery. You can have a way-too-high amped battery in there or something like that could easily misfire and cause something like that. It's operator error though," she said.

jazon1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2012
Phoenix,AZ
"
You're right. If the FDA restricts devices there will be more mechs floating around and more accidents. I wonder if they have considered that?

You are also right that may be the force was out the bottom and pushed the device towards his face. A photo of the bottom of the mod would be helpful."

you can see in the picture that the bottom cap is missing,that dont necessarily mean it was blown off tho it could have just as easily been removed to access the battery, what does not make since to me is that the ecig is not bulged out had it had enough compression in it to break the guys neck there would most defiantly been some bulging or cracking of the device not just the cap blowing off.

Reactions: Kenna

jazon1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2012
Phoenix,AZ
Idiots making statements like this will not help matters either.
This woman needs a Battery safety course.:facepalm:
Amp load is Drawn, not forced. The higher the amperage capability, the less likely to explode:censored:

agreed, the higher the amps of the cells used the less likely it would be to vent under load not the other way around like she suggested...

unfortunately we live in a day were the media is ruled by special interest groups and only tell the masses what those groups want them to hear..i have avoided nearly 50,000 cigarets now from switching to vaping and have never felt better you think that will ever make it to main stream media?

Reactions: DC2 and Kenna

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I suspect the guy had an ICR battery in the mod upside-down and a defect in the battery wrapper caused a dead short when he pushed the button.

And then what happened..................in your opinion?

Did you look at the Photo's? If that is the Mod in Question, it did NOT Explode

The Fact the Coil is still intact says the Tank did NOT explode.

The whole thing is a Cover up of a Stupid accident that injured him and unless he fesses up I hope no one contributes a dime.

jazon1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2012
Phoenix,AZ
I suspect the guy had an ICR battery in the mod upside-down and a defect in the battery wrapper caused a dead short when he pushed the button.
sounds plausible to me,unfortunately i see a lot of people totally careless with there ecigs who get them and know nothing about them and dont even try to educate themselves with there own devices,most shops will put new heatshrink on your batterys for free if you ask them to, if any of you have batterys were the isolating wrapping is coming off go get it fixed, most places do it free!

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
And then what happened..................in your opinion?

Did you look at the Photo's? If that is the Mod in Question, it did NOT Explode

The Fact the Coil is still intact says the Tank did NOT explode.

The whole thing is a Cover up of a Stupid accident that injured him and unless he fesses up I hope no one contributes a dime.

Looks like the switch is missing. If the battery was upside-down and shorted out on the body of the mod the venting force would be directed on the switch.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Looks like the switch is missing. If the battery was upside-down and shorted out on the body of the mod the venting force would be directed on the switch.

Interesting theory. No visible damage/burn marks on the bottom. Battery removed(likely) so who is to say why the switch is not in the photo.

Honestly see no reason the Battery could not run inverted. Switch cap is insulated and Vented.
1962203-1.jpg

Last time my lips looked that way, a guy with a fist nearly the size of my head hit me square in the mouth. :shock:

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Honestly see no reason the Battery could not run inverted. Switch cap is insulated and Vented.

If the battery is in upside-down and the wrapper is damaged (battery's negative can is in contact with body of mod) and you push the button (that is positive), you cause a dead short.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
If the battery is in upside-down and the wrapper is damaged (battery's negative can is in contact with body of mod) and you push the button (that is positive), you cause a dead short.

Unlike the Dude that wants us to think he blew himself up............I am aware of that. I also am aware it is not a good idea to use any battery with damaged wrapping.
If the wrapping is undamaged, there is no issue.

Again, all speculation. The Mod looks unscathed. The tank is intact, minus glass. Things just don't fit.

mcol

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Missouri
Here's the news story on the Colorado Springs station. I disabled the story link by putting 3 spaces in after headlines.
KKTV - HomePage - Headlines /Man-Recovering-from-E-Cig-Explosion--353170341.html

He uh.....he uh......lost consciousness after the explosion and fell and broke his neck.
Hmm.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
As someone who has taken many falls from different heights and down different things without breaking anything. I can say it's not that fragile

Same here... I've been a klutz and a half my entire life, but never broken any bones. (knock on wood) Sprained my ankles a lot though. :D Bumps and bruises and skinned knees and elbows... no broken bones. :thumb:

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread