Another newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyCard

Jul 28, 2017
Augusta
Hello everyone! I am a 40+ year smoker. I've tried cold turkey and Chantix to quit smoking to no avail. 4 years ago I starting rolling my own cigs and since then the cost of cigarettes has not really been a factor in my decision to try vaping. After talking to numerous co-workiers and a couple of family members; they all said that they sleep better and feel better not smoking and just vaping. So two days ago I went to a local vape shop near me and spent about an hour talking to the owner. So I walked out of there with a Smok G150 starter kit and a bottle of 6% e-juice. After two days I have immediately cut down on regular smoking (6 cigarettes each day from a pack and a half previous); but still want to smoke. One of my co-workers said I need to go to 12% nicotine. Also, I thought that if I got a flavored juice I wouldn't feel as though I was really "smoking" and would still want cigarettes. Since then I've been looking at these forums and realized that's not really the case. Sorry if tI'm not really using correct terminology-I 've looked at the acronym and abbreviation page and it will take me time to absorb it all.
Well sorry to be so long winded. I am open to any and all advice.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome @RandyCard

Keep working on it, you'll get the job done.

You juice will be 0.6% or 6mg, but we'll let you off this time.

There's no rights or wrongs with the flavor of you liquids; whatever works for you. Nothing really tastes like a real smoke, and often I stick with what people call 'tobacco' flavor because I'm just not in the mood for cranberry and orange cinnamon cheesecake.
Discussions about people needing to escape tobacco flavors (for fear of going back to smoking) are exaggerated.
Some folk ditch tobacco style within days and never go back. Like I said... whatever works.
Smok has become the new, well, 'everything' it seems. Personally, I don't buy their products nor recommend them. That's a whole other thread right there. Fair play to them though for seemingly taking over the Subohm e-cigarette market while Joyetech sat on dull/outdated products and Sigelei threw away their reputation with a few critical mistakes.
Eleaf is in the mix somewhere as well - they obviously saw the potential of high power vaping back with the iJust2 but somehow got cold feet.
Obviously, the shops often sell the products which sell the most e-liquid. That's a given. Juice sales (and expensive coils) is where it's at. Imagine if Exxon started making V12 cars for new drivers.
Anything is better than non-refillable pod systems which I keep hearing are massively popular in the 'States. I guess some folk don't mind spending as much on vaping as smoking. Good for you for not buying into that market.

Good luck with your vaping. :)

Bdts

Jul 29, 2017
Hello everyone! I am a 40+ year smoker. I've tried cold turkey and Chantix to quit smoking to no avail. 4 years ago I starting rolling my own cigs and since then the cost of cigarettes has not really been a factor in my decision to try vaping. After talking to numerous co-workiers and a couple of family members; they all said that they sleep better and feel better not smoking and just vaping. So two days ago I went to a local vape shop near me and spent about an hour talking to the owner. So I walked out of there with a Smok G150 starter kit and a bottle of 6% e-juice. After two days I have immediately cut down on regular smoking (6 cigarettes each day from a pack and a half previous); but still want to smoke. One of my co-workers said I need to go to 12% nicotine. Also, I thought that if I got a flavored juice I wouldn't feel as though I was really "smoking" and would still want cigarettes. Since then I've been looking at these forums and realized that's not really the case. Sorry if tI'm not really using correct terminology-I 've looked at the acronym and abbreviation page and it will take me time to absorb it all.
Welcome! I as well have recently purchased a smok g150! It's a great device for a beginner. Very simple to use. I caution you to be sure it doesn't get bumped or jerked around while it is plugged in to the charger because the charging port is pretty sensitive. Other than that, look into "WTA" eliquid's as I have learned that they are pretty beneficial to people who have just recently made the switch to vaping and are still craving cigarettes. I'd say a google search on that would be your best bet. Anyways- from one noob to another, welcome! And hope it works out for ya!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi, and welcome! I'm able to vape no flavor, but I prefer light flavoring, so I mix my own. There are all kinds of fun things you can learn here and that is one of them. If you're vaping at 6 and not sure if you need to go higher, you might want to get a flavored juice, that way if 12 is too high, you can mix your 6 1:1 ratio with the 12 and come out with 9 m.g. or you might do well in a 12 nic, period. For me subohming, that was too high, but I prefer a Mouth to lung device, anyway.

As far as quitting, just take it easy on yourself, and whatever you do, don't stop vaping. I was given that advice and was done with cigarettes in a week. I just vaped steadily for about 5 mins and if my craving was still present, I would go smoke, and it was usually awful. Then I'd go inside and vape. It worked for me but everyone's different so don't be upset with yourself if it takes slightly longer. Tons of good information in the new members section but it sounds like you've read some of it, so mainly, keep vaping, and keep asking questions!

Welcome to ECF!

Anna

ColdHeartClan

Jul 28, 2017
Madison, Wi
Welcome to the ecf family!

Like most before me have said it's all a personal experience. None of us can tell you what is right for you, we're just guides in your quitting journey.

With that being said, I've noticed people are more successfully quitting the stinkies by moving away from the tobacco flavored juices. Myself, I quit with some heavy chai tea and strawberry flavors. Raising your nicotine up a step would help you probably as well.

Happy vaping friend!

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
Your doing real good, keep up the effort and pretty soon you will start to feel so much better. If you have any questions about your equipment, we may be able to help, but feel free to get advice from the B&M shop, they owe the effort/time to you.
The information below will help you in learning and talking about vaping.
Might like to read:
http://www.vaporauthority.com/pages/learn
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...tte-college-guides-tutorials-information.html
http://guidetovaping.com/category/e-cig-beginner/
http://vapingcheap.com/vaping-101/
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
(1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread