Anthony Vapes: Smok GX2/4 Written Review and Tech Test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with a text review and video link here

for my honest review of the smok GX2/4 mod. Disclaimer: this product was sent to me for the purpose of this review from directvapor.com

Introduction:
The smok GX2/4 is the 1st mod i’ve seen at least that can be used in 2 or 4 battery mode with different door options to change the size. It’s been done a few times with a 3 or 2 battery option but never a 4 or 2 battery option. As a 2 battery mod it’s one of the thinnest out there. As a 4 battery option it’s similar in size to a GX350. In typical smok fashion it’s available in 7 colors including the elusive green.

Manufacturer's Specs: Mod
  • Choose from a Dual or Quadruple Battery Configuration
  • Comfortably Fits 25mm and Smaller Tanks
  • Dimensions: 3-7/16" x 1-3/4" x 1" (Dual Battery Configuration)
  • Dimensions: 3-7/16" x 2-1/4" x 1-11/16" (Quad Battery Configuration)
  • 510 Threaded
  • Wattage Output: 6.0 - 220.0W (Dual Battery Configuration)
  • Wattage Output: 6.0 - 350.0W (Quad Battery Configuration)
  • Variable Temperature Control : Nickel / Titanium / Stainless Steel 316
  • Temperature Control Range: 200 - 600F / 100 - 315C
  • Resistance Range: 0.06 - 3.0ohm for Temperature Control Mode
  • Resistance Range: 0.1 - 3.0ohm for Variable Wattage
  • Hidden Side Fire Button
  • 0.96" OLED Display Screen
  • Detailed Operating Interface
  • Requires (2) or (4) High Amp 18650 Batteries (Sold Separately)
  • Requires an External Battery Charger (Sold Separately)
  • Firmware Upgradeable
Included in box:
  • 1 x SMOK GX 2/4 Mod (2 battery door preinstalled)
  • 1 x Replacement GX 2/4 Battery Cover (4 battery door)
  • 1 x Micro USB Cable
  • 1 x Manual and documentation
Pictures and test results
Test Chart:
0UgLkMy.png

Spreadsheet:
xxc2xM4.png

Stock Shot Colors 2 batt:
1494577991687.jpg

Stock Shot Colors 4 batt:
1494578020636.jpg

4 battery screen:
TpPITIE.png

4 battery door gaps:
GsCiVTl.png

4 Battery Door:
5DBnoTX.png

2 Battery door gaps:
1EYHD6s.png

2 Battery Screen:
ClmhljG.png

2 Battery Door
rbSWnOk.png

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this mod, I was pretty impressed with the size in 2 battery mode. I had thought I’d mostly be using it in this mode. It’s really slim and can take a 25mm atomizer without overhang. I love the big bright screen with tons of information. The side fire bar is comfy and feels made for a right handed vapor with thumb fire. The paint job looks good as well. Much improved from the alien. I tried to scratch it off but it didn’t come off at all. In 4 battery mode I didn’t care for the gap on the top (pictured above). It’s the typical smok menu system which is very nice and easy to navigate, it has power and temp modes so nothing overly fancy and the 3 preheat options (soft, normal, hard) in power mode.

Watt Mode Performance (2 battery mode)
Let’s get into some data. Resistances for this mod’s testing were done at .121, .151, .207 and .548 for the high resistance test. The mod read resistance accurate (sometimes up to .01 high) and stabile. The wattage testing points were max watts (220), 200, 175, 150, 125, 100, 75, 50 and 25. At .121 ohms the mod maxed out at 220 watts and 43 amps. The 43 amp limit is on the high side for most dual battery mods (35-40) so above average. The fact it does it’s full 220 watts at such a low resistance as well is very impressive too. IIRC the alien didn’t hit max watts until around .15 to .17 due to the lower amp limit. During the tests it hit a little on the low side anywhere from 2 to 6 watts except at 25 where it was 1 watt high and at 220, 125, and 100 it was on the dot. At the .151 test it maxed out at 214 watts. It hit between 6 low and 6 high overall but under 200 it was never off by more than 3 and under 100 pretty much dead on. For the .207 test it maxed out at 174 watts and 5.996 volts similar to the alien at that resistance. outside of the 174 watt limit, it was never off by more than 2 watts. For the high resistance test of .548 it maxed out at 85 watts and 6.837 volts. It hit high at 75 and under between 1-5 watts. My max wattage overall was 220 so it does meet the 220 watts promised. The max amps (43) is on the higher side for dual battery mods. Many max out at 40. The mod never got hot in my testing, It got a little warm over 200 watts, but under 200 was cool to the touch. It did great at not overheating even when the chip was pushed to it’s limits. it’s overall one of the cooler running mods out there. The 6.837 volt limit shows it’s buck only. Smok doesn't list a volt limit for me to compare to so i’ll call it a 7 volt limit cause rounding. A 220 watt limit and a 43+ amp limit as if i had a lower resistance it could possibly do a few more amps. The output was smooth and consistent. I Measured the soft cell cutoff at 3.2. Overall I was very impressed with the performance of this mod to meet its specs even at really low resistances as well as not overheat and be very accurate.

Watt Mode Performance (4 battery mode)
Resistances for this mod’s testing were done at .124, .159, .209 and .543 for the high resistance test. The mod read resistance accurate (sometimes up to .01 high) and stabile. The wattage testing points were max watts (350), 300 and 250. I didn’t test lower wattages in 4 battery mode because it was already so accurate in 2 battery mode. At .124 ohms the mod maxed out at 354 watts and 53 amps. The 53 amp limit is the highest i’ve personally tested of any mod as far as i can remember. It’s above average and pretty impressive. The fact it does it’s full 350+ watts at such a low resistance as well is very impressive too. At 300 it was on the dot and at 250 it was 1 watt high. Extremely accurate at such high wattages. At the .159 test it maxed out at 361 watts. At 300 watts it hit 303 and at 250 it hit 259 so a little on the high side. For the .209 test it maxed out at 365. At 300 it put out 314 and at 250 it put out 259. Again hitting on the high side. For the high resistance test of .543 it maxed out at 350 watts and a crazy 13.78 volts. No that’s not a typo 13.78 volts. The highest I ever seen from my tests. At 300 it put out 318 and at 250 it put out 274 so again hitting on the high side. My max wattage overall was 365 so it’s a little underrated and is the highest output mod I tested. The max amps (53) is on the higher side for quad battery mods. Many max out at 40-50. The mod never got hot in my testing even at 350 watts it was cool to the touch. It did great at not overheating even when the chip was pushed to it’s limits. it’s overall one of the cooler running mods out there. The 13.87 volt limit shows in 4 battery mode it’s full series since it’s a buck only chip. Smok doesn't list a volt limit for me to compare to so i’ll call it a 14 volt limit cause rounding but could be even higher. More than enough for any build easily. A 365 watt limit and a 53+ amp limit as if i had a lower resistance it could possibly do a few more amps. Overall I was impressed with this mods limits. It’s the highest amp, volt, and watt limit i’ve personally tested. It’s the only mod I have/seen capable of really powering the build i had in my voltrove RTA. This feels like it was made to power the TFV12 and other super tanks to their full potential.

Temperature Control
Using SS316 wire in SS316 mode (TCR set at 00092). I tested 6 builds ranging from single round spaced single and dual coils, to fancy single and fancy dual coils. I wish there was more I could say about it, but the mod was so wildly inconsistent at temp control It’s hard to really say anything else. Sometimes 330 may burn my cotton. Sometimes 450+ puts no vapor. There was really no rhyme or reason behind it’s performance outside of saying it flat out sucks. This is a real issue smok needs to address. I probably have a dozen or so smok mods and none of them are worth a dam in temp control mode. They really need to address this or just stop offering it as it doesn't work. Every puff is an adventure and not in a good way

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Other Usage Notes
I tried scratching off the paint with my fingernail, a pen (with the tip retracted just using the metal part), and a pair of tweezers with a small amount of force. The paint wouldn’t budge. It’s a very good paint job, looks to be clear coated and won’t chip during normal usage. I’m not a fan of all the gaps with the battery doors (pictured above) especially in 4 battery mode. In 2 battery mode it’s not as bad. The size and shape is very nice. It’s a very slim and pocketable mod. I didn't do a disassembly on this mod as i really didn’t want to break it and it wasn’t an easy one to do so I tried to take a peek and see if DJL had so i can look at the internals but he didn’t take it apart either. Typically though smok mods have pretty decent 510 pins if treated correctly and not abused. Spoiler I did disassemble the t-priv (review coming soon) and it’s secured from the inside and properly grounded similar to the revenger i reviewed yesterday. Nothing in the performance testing leads me to believe there will be any 510 issues either and all 10+ atomizers i used on it worked fine with no issues so i feel pretty confident saying the 510 is good and should have no issues if used correctly. The smok menu system is one of the cleanest and easiest to use and the screen as always is nice and bright with a ton of info. I don’t see longevity being any issue but smok has had some possible QC issues with the alien. Outside of that mod though I never seen any major issues with any of their other ones and I don’t foresee any issue with this one either. It also feels pretty durable save for cracking the screen

Pros:
  • Large Bright Screen
  • Watt Mode Performance
  • Crazy high volt limit
  • 2 Battery mode is very slim but handles 25mm attys
  • Firing Bar
  • Build Quality and improved paint
  • color options
  • Coated Battery Doors
Cons:
  • Temp control Performance
  • Battery door gaps
  • 4 battery door hard to get batts in and out
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not? I don’t do hard yes or no but lets get the easy part out of the way. As a temp control mod it gets a hard no. As a watt mode mod i’m gonna lean this pretty heavy towards the yes. Especially if you are a high watt or high volt vaper or just want a thin mod that works great in power mode. If you want something that can really power a supertank like the TFV12 it’s the best I found for it. Not even my DNA mods can power the voltrove 41mm RTA like this mod. Yes smok doesn't have the greatest history of QC with the alien, but outside of that i haven’t heard many issues with their mods nor have I personally had any outside the skyhook RDTA box. I’ll be adding this to my sheet as a power mode 2 battery and 4 battery mod. This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

For good recommendations feel free to check out my google sheet of recommendations located here this sheet will be updated regularly so feel free to bookmark it.

Again I want to thank directvapor.com for providing me this mod for review. Link to the mod is SMOK GX2/4 350W TC Vape MOD

I want to thank you guys for reading (or watching or both).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread