Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with a text review and video link here

for my honest review of the Sub Ohm Innovations (SOI) Subzero X Hybrid Mech mod and rda. Disclaimer Wise this product was sent to me for the purpose of the review from Healthcabin.net

Introduction:
The SOI Subzero X Mech Mod is the latest mod from SOI a company that has become quite popular for making good quality mechs at a reasonable price. It comes in 4 colors SS, Black, Brass, and Copper. It features the 3 piece clutch switch, battery venting, hybrid connection only, and reverse polarity protection. The Subzero X rda comes in the same colors and can screw directly onto the tube of the SZX mod by removing the 510 adapter. It’s a 2 post 1 hole per post deck with hex screws coming in the top and 4 massive air holes on each side.

Manufacturer's Specs: (mod)
  • Three Piece Clutch Contact
  • Interchangeable Sleeve
  • Hybrid 510 Connection
  • Locking Switch
  • High Flow Battery Safety Vents
  • Reverse Battery Protection
  • Internal Short Protection Sleeve
  • 25mm Diameter x 96mm Length
  • Single 18650 Li-ion Battery (Not Included)
  • Size:25mm*96mm
  • Shipping Weight:324g
Manufacturer's Specs: (rda)
  • Massive Posts with Clamping Pin System
  • Large Building Area
  • Adjustable Airflow
  • 1/2" Removable Drip Tip (Fits many aftermarket styles.)
  • 510 Adapter with Protruding Pin
  • Hybrid Connection to SubZeroX Competition Mod
  • 25mm Diameter x 43mm Length
  • Size:25mm*43mm
  • Shipping Weight:173g
Included in box: (mod)
  • 1 SZX Mech Mod

• 1 User Manual

• 1 Metal plate of authenticity

• 1 Spare orings bag
Included in box: (rda)
  • 1 SZX RDA
  • 1 510 removal tool
  • 1 Allen Wrench
  • 1 Metal Plate of authenticity
  • 1 spare oring bag
Pictures:
Stock Shot Colors Mod:
Subzero-X-Mech-Mod-11.jpg

Stock Shot Mod Exploded VIew:
Subzero-X-Mech-Mod-12.jpg

Stock Shot Hybrid RDA safety:
Subzero-X-Mech-Mod-16.jpg

Stock Shot RDA Colors:
Subzero-X-Tank-13.jpg

Stock Shot RDA exploded view:
Subzero-X-Tank-12.jpg

Vent Holes:
k3kiJRU.png

Coating tube for safety:
JbIrLXk.png

Top of Switch:
mbKAx5U.png

Stupid Warranty Policy:
0z7Ue68.png

Inside Switch Contact Spike:
fBNwRWK.png

Inside Switch 3 part clutch system:
kPyMIiW.png

Locking Mechanism:
qrNmheT.png

RDA in hybrid mode:
txHwbj1.png

RDA Protruding 510 explained:
HVxeSJ9.png

RDA Deck:
UOUQcqw.png

RDA Insulator
RQKSjPA.png

Battery Positive side towards switch:
xgNcDNL.png

RDA build and pulsed:
q5xUTqK.png

Action Shot:
V4dUBgP.jpg

Mech and Hybrid Safety
Before I talk about the mod itself and yeah i know i have like a million pictures for this already, but i wanted to touch on hybrid and mech safety a bit. Mechs are not beginner devices period. You should have a basic understanding of ohms law as well as good batteries and understand battery safety. Thankfully Mooch
has provided us a list of safe batteries
img_4813-jpg.643937

and i also made a safety video

To keep it short and simple for 18650 mechs i recommend the sony VTC5a battery and building .17 ohms or higher. You have to also remember heat flux of your build. Again this is all why mechs aren’t great for beginners. If you build around .2 you’ll want a heat flux of around 65-70 watts. As far as hybrids go, in reality they aren’t any less safe than any other mech. Especially a kit like this that’s made to go together. The only difference with a hybrid is you have to make sure it has a protruding positive 510 pin (see pic above) with a recommended minimum of .5mm sticking out between the positive and negative contacts.

Subzero X Mod
Let's talk about the mod now (finally i know right) The mod itself is built very well. It’s got weight to it, the threading is excellent, it’s got a sleek and simple design. It has plenty of battery venting as well. It’s a hybrid only mod. No 510 pin on it so make sure you are aware of what attys you can use on it before buying and which one’s you can’t. It has a coated insert to protect against shorts in case you had damage on your battery wrap, but you should ALWAYS inspect your batteries before using and make sure the wrap isn’t damaged. If it is you need to rewrap it, Video

on how to do that. The mod features interchangeable tubes in case you wanted to change the looks. All 4 color tubes can be used with each other. They also offer custom tubes but appear sold out currently. The mod is designed for batteries to go positive down only. The switch itself is spring loaded. It features a 3 plate clutch system. The positive Spike makes contact with the 3 plates and completes the circuit. It also has RPP (reverse polarity protection) so the mod won’t fire if the battery is upside down. It features a unique locking mechanism where you pull the switch and twist it to lock the mod. It works very well and is very easy to do. Overall I love the switch on this mod. It works great, the locking is great and they made it as safe as possible. I also tested to see how hot the tube would get by “overstressing my batteries” (not recommended if you don’t know what you are doing) and the tube itself never got hot at all or even warm. It handles heat very well. Everything on this mod just screams quality. It looks great and performs great.

Subzero X RDA
Now let’s talk about the RDA. The RDA itself features a 2 post 1 hole per post design. And the post holes are just massive. You can fit pretty much anything in them. The posts themselves are also just massive. The quality is excellent and it’s a heavy RDA that really doesn't get hot even when chain vaping. The post holes have a bar in them and the leads are put in under the bars then the massive excellent quality hex screws are screwed down to secure the bars against the leads. This leads to the bars holding the leads into place. While personally i don’t like sharing leads between coils, There really isn’t a way to not do that with this design. And the holes are big enough to accommodate any builds so it’s not a major deal. It’s pretty easy to build on. The only difficult part is cutting the excess leads after installing the coils. It has an option insulator between the posts, while i’m not a fan of that design personally it can be removed and hasn’t given me any issues. There is a spare as well. I’m not going to ding the RDA for it like I did the troll because it is optional and there is plenty of room to install massive coils that aren’t too close to the insulator. Even when i purposely tried to get it to melt, it wouldn’t melt. It’s much better than the insulator on the troll. It has a deep juice well as well. Plenty of room to drip without it leaking. It’s a side airflow and there is a ton of air. 4 giant holes on each side. It also has a massive chamber as well. Personally due to limits of a single battery mech, i only used 1 hole open on each side. The chamber has a flat design so not optimal for flavor. Using it on a single battery mech safely provides just decent flavor. Due to the massive chamber and air, you’ll need to vape a massive build probably around 150-200+ watts to really get good flavor from it, which is likely too much for most, and really best with a multiple battery mod. It was designed as a “competition” RDA for cloud chasers who stretch the limits of batteries and take short pulse hits to chuck huge clouds. Not really my thing personally nor is it for most people on reddit from what i gather. It has a protruding 510 pin so it can be used on any mod (regulated or mech) but the 510 plate is removable and the RDA can screw directly onto the tube in place of the tubes top cap which would be used for other RDAs making it shorter and reducing voltage drop. Overall it’s a great looking and well built RDA, but for most will be below average in the flavor department, especially when paired with a single battery mech. I could get decent flavor with the air restricted to 1 hole on the mech (which is what i vaped in the video) but to get better flavor i had to use a massive build and vape it on a regulated mod or series mech over 150 watts and even then only with 2-3 holes open. You’re gonna need over 200 watts to use all 4 holes.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Overall Impressions of the kit
Overall I was impressed with the quality and simple looks of this kit. It feels great in the hand, it’s heavy, it looks good and performs good. The RDA I think for myself and most is too big with too much air to get good flavor from especially when paired with a single battery mech. It was designed for people competing in cloud competitions clearly. And it does a good job at that, but IMO they push battery limits past what i would recommend to most. Nothing wrong with it but they are experienced vapers. Like anything in life it is a skill and takes knowledge and experience and inexperienced people shouldn’t try to duplicate it overnight. The mod itself though I completely love, The switch design is fantastic as is the locking mechanism. The quality at the price point is going to be hard to beat as well. It’ll likely be my “go to” mech tube for the foreseeable future.

Pros: Mod
  • Build Quality
  • Switch Design
  • Locking Mechanism
  • Looks
  • Interchangeable Tubes
  • Handles heat excellent
  • No “hot button” issues
  • Performs Great
Cons: Mod
  • Hybrid Only
  • Disassembling Switch Voids Warranty
Pros: RDA
  • Build Quality
  • Ton of Air
  • Capable of handling Massive Builds
  • Looks
  • 810 tip
  • Handles heat excellent
  • Removable 510 pin to screw on SZX mod
Cons: RDA
  • Flavor is below average for most people’s builds
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this kit? Well before i even get into that i want to again state I don’t recommend a mech for beginners. Anyone buying a mech should be familiar with battery safety and ohms law and building for heat flux prior to purchasing a mech mod. Lets start with the mod Now with that said I don’t like doing the hard yes or no but this one leans heavily towards the yes. It’s a very well built mod that should last a long time. It works great, looks great and is pretty much everything people love about mechs. Simple, well built, performs great etc. It is a bit pricey as it retails for 130 from SOI however healthcabin is selling them for 89.99 currently which is pretty cheap for a well made authentic mech mod. Many authentics run 150+ and then you have purge mods running 300+ so at 90 bucks it’s a steal. Even at 130 it’s a bargain. There is a reason SOI mods are so popular. Now onto the RDA. For me it leans towards the no. Unless you are competing in cloud competitions or just want it to match the mech mod then i can understand it. Outside of that at 70 bucks for the RDA i feel you can get an RDA that will perform much better on a single battery mech flavorwise and easier to build on, most of them at a fraction of the price. I’ll be adding the mod to my spreadsheet as a tube mech but won’t be adding the RDA. and it’s not a knock on the RDA i just don’t feel it suits most people’s vape style with a single battery mech or even a bigger mod. The chamber is just too large and it’s too much air for most. It’s best left for the people competing for clouds so maybe i’ll add note in the mod if you want to chase clouds or have a matching RDA you can get it as it is built nice.

For good recommendations feel free to check out my google sheet of recommendations located here this sheet will be updated regularly so feel free to bookmark it.

I want to thank you guys for reading (or watching or both). Big thanks to Healthcabin.net for sending me this product for review. Mod link is here Sub Ohm Innovations Subzero X Mech Mod Stainless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread