Anti-THR Lies: The comparative risk of e-cigarettes — numbers, nonsense, and innumeracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Another great article posted today by Dr. Carl Phillips, this time about the PHE 95% number and why it's actually bogus. He gives and excellent break down of the types of risks assessed in the studies used in the analysis and why they do not correlated to one another, nor do they support the 95% safer estimate. Toward the end of the article he reiterates that based on all that is known, the 5% risk estimate is actually much lower.

The comparative risk of e-cigarettes — numbers, nonsense, and innumeracy | Anti-THR Lies and related topics

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Carl makes a few interesting points, but they are highly academic otherwise. In practice, science plays no role in determining the path policy, rather the PR spin put on it. Whereas I agree that having good science on your side of the argument is morally right, it means nothing in terms of convincing the public or politicians to do the right thing. Therefore, I will gladly set aside the minor hair-splitting over the 95% figure in the PHE report and continued to promote it as THE single biggest, most influential development on the pro-vaping side since advocacy began.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Carl makes a few interesting points, but they are highly academic otherwise.

I'd describe it differently.

.... although on this issue, I tend to agree. :- ) It's a bit like saying - there's a 95% chance that ecigarettes will not kill you. For comparison skydiving has a 99.993% success rate :- )

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Carl makes a few interesting points, but they are highly academic otherwise. In practice, science plays no role in determining the path policy, rather the PR spin put on it. Whereas I agree that having good science on your side of the argument is morally right, it means nothing in terms of convincing the public or politicians to do the right thing. Therefore, I will gladly set aside the minor hair-splitting over the 95% figure in the PHE report and continued to promote it as THE single biggest, most influential development on the pro-vaping side since advocacy began.

I'd describe it differently.

.... although on this issue, I tend to agree. :- ) It's a bit like saying - there's a 95% chance that ecigarettes will not kill you. For comparison skydiving has a 99.993% success rate :- )

You are really missing the main point. Supporting badly done science because it goes along with your agenda is always a bad idea. Now you are picking and choosing which junk science to support and which to attack. Getting caught up in that type of game is not going to have a good outcome. By doing so the vaping community has lost all integrity and trust. That is something we do (did) have, unlike the tobacco control industry. You are never going to win playing on their level. They have to much money and power to make believe we can be successful at their game.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
You are really missing the main point. Supporting badly done science because it goes along with your agenda is always a bad idea. Now you are picking and choosing which junk science to support and which to attack. Getting caught up in that type of game is not going to have a good outcome. By doing so the vaping community has lost all integrity and trust. That is something we do (did) have, unlike the tobacco control industry. You are never going to win playing on their level. They have to much money and power to make believe we can be successful at their game.

My comment - "I tend to agree" was with Carl. I thought my subsequent comment and the skydiving analogy would make that clear :- )

Reactions: nicnik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread