Antifreeze in liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
most of this stuff comes from China right? and they did put melamine in dog food and didn't they put something in baby food too? lead paint in toys, etc. I am not in anyway confident in the purity of chinas manufacturing quality - its too corrupted and they are always trying to make things as cheap as possible regardless of the saftey.

I just ordered some juice and the company claims they keep "WE KEEP A LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND SGS TEST ON FILE" so I am hoping that it has the content of these chems listed in the fda report.

I don't really know how many juices come from China and how many are made here, but I am concerned about inhaling harful chemicals. I am hoping I can get some healthy liquid and am able to enjoy e-cigs for a long time without any health problems.

I don't think FDA oversight and regulation is nessecarily a bad thing if they can keep the product safe without creating unreasonable expense. I think requiring a perscription would be jus tplain stupid since you don't need a script for smokes or patches/gum.

Anyway - the news story got my wife kinda freaked as she is already worried that there are possible health problems that are yet unknown since its such a new product there have been no long term studies. I quit smoking for health reasons, i hope I dont have to quit vaping.

Shining Wit

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
North of England UK
www.flavourart.co.uk
So the FDA are telling us that our batteries are made from recycled atomic reactors and that our children will be born with three heads and legs like squids. They might as well be for the amount of misinterpretation that is happening on BOTH sides of the fence. Any impurity IS a concern and must be addressed, but before we all run around hysterically just check a few facts and figures and it can be seen in a totally different perspective, one which has the FDA clearly cited as scaremongers and which prompts questions of who is paying the piper. They have a job to do, which is ensuring that products are reasonably safe and follow guidelines and regulations regarding safety, packaging, labelling etc. Their job is not to issue statements that border on sensationalism and which do not quantify their findings.
John.

Tobacco -specific
Nitrosamines 8 ppb (ng/g)
For comparison
NRT gum1 8 ng/g)
Unburnt cig. Tobacco2 1200 ng/g )]
Cigarette smoke3 to 500 ng /cigarette

See the full report by clicking here.

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
most of this stuff comes from China right? and they did put melamine in dog food and didn't they put something in baby food too? lead paint in toys, etc. I am not in anyway confident in the purity of chinas manufacturing quality - its too corrupted and they are always trying to make things as cheap as possible regardless of the saftey.

I just ordered some juice and the company claims they keep "WE KEEP A LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND SGS TEST ON FILE" so I am hoping that it has the content of these chems listed in the fda report.

I don't really know how many juices come from China and how many are made here, but I am concerned about inhaling harful chemicals. I am hoping I can get some healthy liquid and am able to enjoy e-cigs for a long time without any health problems.

I don't think FDA oversight and regulation is nessecarily a bad thing if they can keep the product safe without creating unreasonable expense. I think requiring a perscription would be jus tplain stupid since you don't need a script for smokes or patches/gum.

Anyway - the news story got my wife kinda freaked as she is already worried that there are possible health problems that are yet unknown since its such a new product there have been no long term studies. I quit smoking for health reasons, i hope I dont have to quit vaping.

you realize that the same chemicals they found in ecigs are the same chems that can be found in tobacco cigs right? just smaller quantity?

just do yourself a favor and read through the posts about it. as far as juice, the only US company (if i'm understanding this correctly) is Johnson's Creek. It is made here in the US, but all the rest is made in China.

exception to that is, there are some UK based companies producing their own.

whatagem

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Central Texas, USA

Anyway - the news story got my wife kinda freaked as she is already worried that there are possible health problems that are yet unknown since its such a new product there have been no long term studies. I quit smoking for health reasons, i hope I dont have to quit vaping

I never thought China was trying to kill our dogs with the whole wheat gluten thing. I've always assumed that the rules over there are much too lax, there's no one checking up on anyone. But on the other hand, we here in the US have had similar problems with headache drugs being recalled.

The point is that these days, none of us knows what goes into anything we buy no matter where it's made or how many times over the ingredients are listed. Exactly how many of us produce our own meat and veggies at home? Things are just as corrupt in the US--that's why cigarettes are sold everywhere.

I'm not defending either product, but do follow the money trail. I chose to check out the e-cig to quit smoking. In the back of my mind, I promised myself that once I was off cigarettes, I would ween myself off the e-cig. Why? Because I don't know what the long therm affects of inhaling PG is. (and now that I no longer have a teenage mind, I can make better decisions about what I inhale by my own hand) No matter what the other hidden ingredients, no matter how regulated it may become, no matter how low the nicotine is--I made that plan and I intend to stick to it.

Nicotine is a drug. Period. No matter which way I get it into my body, I am controlled by it. I no longer wish to be controlled by something that is extracted from a plant! It has nothing to do with what's in it, how socially unacceptable it is, how much I want it--I just want to rid of the control. Anyone who's ever dieted can surely relate to that. And unfortunately there are no rehab centers or spas for quitting smoking. :D

So that's it then. No matter how many times husband tells me, "I heard this, or I heard that," at least e-cigs are helping me to cut down. Hopefully, will help me quit. And after I quit smoking, inhaling nicotine by use of an electronic device, I will probably get cancer anyway from processed cheese. Our food, air, water is so dirty I just don't think it'll matter any more if I inhale a few extra chemicals to stop smoking.

Not gonna listen to husband and his news. Not gonna freak out any more. Gonna quit cigs, gonna quit e-cigs. Then maybe I'll run a marathon (ha ha)

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
I attended a funeral yesterday and everyone who knew me there had the same remarks: "You still using that fake cigarette?" "You hear that there's antifreeze in that stuff you're inhaling?"

bob when the FDA comes out with stuff that causes people (pretty stupid ones) to say things like that to you.. i recon some bloody sarcasm is the only answer..

people read headlines not the small print bob you of all people should know this..

the FDA does the report.. the rest of the world does the scary headline bit for it...

take this thread starter... its starts of with a "scary headline" everyone will read that but probably not read the salient (if any) comment in the thread..

in fact folks who start threads with scary "headlines" need to wise up and think a little.. this admittedly "paranoid" thread starter deserves some sarcasm.. so does the FDA..

say it often enough and it becomes the truth.. even in scary but theoretically innocent forum posts..

in the UK we have a cheap tabloid (the Sun) that chooses our government with "headlines" headlines that get read by everybody that walks past the newstand.. even those wise enough not to buy the low life paper..

now bob... if you really think the purpose of this particular newspaper is to disseminate "news".. you have been so lost in the forest you cant see the wood for trees..

headlines and sound bytes rule the world.. long winded intelligent comment never gets read...

trog

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
As my wife told people at the funeral, "Don't get him started!"

I was livid over the exaggeration of dangers. Perspective please. I'm in danger just driving to the funeral! I still drove there. I'm in danger eating the little brownies they served. I still ate a plateful.

You're right on all your points (good to see you back here), but the general public is not at all discerning. E-Cigs=Dangerous. FDA=Truth.

I did my job of correcting those who spoke to me about e-smoking. I had three e-cigs with me and puffed away in the parlor where coffee and food were served. I talked to dozens who saw me or knew me or just had a WTH attitude.

We have a biiiiiig job ahead of us, though, counteracting the mispreception the FDA created that e-cigs are intrinsically dangerous and should be banned. That's BS, of course, but we better use logic and facts to counter the claims.

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
headlines and sound bytes up front bob.. i dont have any of pat.. say them often and loud.. those "facts" and logic just need to be there for odd bugger that questions the headlines.. he he

so far i dont see much real evidence the FDA are trying very hard to ban e cigs.. their report which seems to have everybody in a panic is only a mild safety warning.. short of giving e cigs their public blessing which they aint ever going to do.. what else can they do... they do have to be seen to be on the job..

trog

eric

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I'm not suggesting that I would quit using the e-cig because there might be something bad in it. It has afterall, reduced my smoking habit & will soon help me to quit cigarettes altogether.
My concern is that after continuously hear bad things, it will be the end of the e-cig. I know this debate has gone on for quite some time and I am sure this entire thread is merely a rerun like that episode of Seinfeld you've seen 36 times.

It is still a bit disapointing to constantly hear downers about the e-cig though. To say there are over 40 carcinogins and what is it now--1,486,926 chenicals in cigarettes and they are still legal to have & use, but that e-cigs may not be in the near future....

well, this isn't really the point is it? It's really odd how it bothers me that I might be inhaling anti-freeze but that I can light up a cigarette without any thought to it. I am also afraid we may be repeating history. Suppose e-cigs really aren't that bad, but because of different companies adding a dash of this and a dash of that...Or on the other hand were kinda bad--just over 40 years of useage. Well, it would be the 1950's all over again.

60 years later we finally find something that helps so many quit smoking so easily and the threat of having it taken away hangs over like a dark cloud.

But why anti-freeze? Are there not a thousand things out there that taste sweet? As far as I know, good 'ol cane sugar may be OK to eat, but how is it for inhaling? Would there be any real difference?

All Anti-Freeze is is something that increases the boiling point and decreases the freezing point of water.

WILDJC

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
New York
Not good to poke fun at carcinogens and contaminants found in e-liquid. I understand the temptation to be sarcastic, but others are taking on rebuttal of the claims with facts, not emotion. You want to turn off the pubic? Get cute and catty about the FDA. That'll put support on their side in a hurry.

Yeah but, look on the bright side. Once I'm forced to vape outside in sub zero temperatures this coming winter, at least I won't freeze to death with DEG.

Bones

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2009
Austin, Texas
Spinach - Beef - Peanut Butter - Tomatoes -

All of these and other things have killed under the watchful eyes of the FDA made right here in the good Ole USA - It is not fair to foster the assumption that because it is made in China then it is not safe - Any more than it is to foster the perception that because it is made in the USA and FDA regulated it IS safe - Human error can never be outlawed or regulated away - Life is a gamble -

Last edited:

ladyraj

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
people...please stop associating DEG with antifreeze.

you can't go buy DEG and pour it in your car to cool your engine. there are other chemicals involved and other components. they found a small amount of A CHEMICAL that is/may be used in antifreeze. as pointed out, that same chemical is used in treating tobacco that you can go buy and smoke right now. no different.

But, DEG is present an ingredient in anti-freeze particularly in southern climes...

...it is also present in the filter adhesive of phillip morris cigarettes sold at stores everywhere. ;)

CJsKee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2009
Oklahoma
---snip---

so far i dont see much real evidence the FDA are trying very hard to ban e cigs.. their report which seems to have everybody in a panic is only a mild safety warning.. short of giving e cigs their public blessing which they aint ever going to do.. what else can they do... they do have to be seen to be on the job..

trog

With all the gloom and doom being broadcast (here, as well as the media), I do so hope you're right about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread