Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
So the menthol is only bad in a cigarette?

Cigarettes are not healthy no matter what is in them. I never smoked menthol cigs, go figure, so I never did any research on that part of it. I'm sure there is all kinds of junk science out there about it though, and keep in mind we are not burning it :)

A bunch of things have menthol in them for inhalation. One example is Vicks Vapo Rub, which is considered safe and there are a lot more like that out there.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I vape 0 nicotine menthol e juice, was wondering if the menthol is harmful.
If you Dont already have the habit dont pick it up.

0n May 20th i will celebrate my four year Vaperversary.

My health is bettet

No Bronchitis for 3 years in a row

And been totally nicotine free for 17 months yesterday.

I still vape 0 mg ml DIY juice. NEVER EVER WANT TO SMOKE ANOTHER CANCER STICK!

samandmax

Moved On
Apr 26, 2017
Boston
If you Dont already have the habit dont pick it up.

0n May 20th i will celebrate my four year Vaperversary.

My health is bettet

No Bronchitis for 3 years in a row

And been totally nicotine free for 17 months yesterday.

I still vape 0 mg ml DIY juice. NEVER EVER WANT TO SMOKE ANOTHER CANCER STICK!
I use 0 nicotine so I don't become addicted.

Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Your starting a habit, unlike us who are trying to get away from one..

While your not using nicotine, the reason vaping helps us break the smoking habit is much more than just the nicotine. I smoked for 32 years, and the hand to mouth action, inhaling and exhaling 'smoke', is just as much of an addiction as the nicotine itself..

Anything you do can become a habit or an addiction, even if it's not in and of itself addictive. Some people have food addictions but food is not addictive, in and of itself.

The hand to mouth thing can become addictive.

Thing about vaping is that we know factually it's better for you than smoking, but it is NOT better for you than breathing in clean air and not vaping at all. Exactly what all the dangers are compared to not vaping or smoking, we don't yet know..

That said, menthol is going to have the same dangers associated with it, because it's menthol.. I would use as little as possible, or even go for an unflavored mix.. we know pg and vg more than we know the dangers of the flavorings, and honestly, if there are going to be dangers, there will probably be some found in time in our flavorings..

So if you want to avoid unknown dangers, then go with am unflavored.. if you want to be healthy, don't vape..

samandmax

Moved On
Apr 26, 2017
Boston
Your starting a habit, unlike us who are trying to get away from one..

While your not using nicotine, the reason vaping helps us break the smoking habit is much more than just the nicotine. I smoked for 32 years, and the hand to mouth action, inhaling and exhaling 'smoke', is just as much of an addiction as the nicotine itself..

Anything you do can become a habit or an addiction, even if it's not in and of itself addictive. Some people have food addictions but food is not addictive, in and of itself.

The hand to mouth thing can become addictive.

Thing about vaping is that we know factually it's better for you than smoking, but it is NOT better for you than breathing in clean air and not vaping at all. Exactly what all the dangers are compared to not vaping or smoking, we don't yet know..

That said, menthol is going to have the same dangers associated with it, because it's menthol.. I would use as little as possible, or even go for an unflavored mix.. we know pg and vg more than we know the dangers of the flavorings, and honestly, if there are going to be dangers, there will probably be some found in time in our flavorings..

So if you want to avoid unknown dangers, then go with am unflavored.. if you want to be healthy, don't vape..
I read somewhere that vaping is 95% safe and menthol is used in cough drops.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

It is.. but your coming from 100% safe.. so you DO have the 5% to worry about..

Me, I was dead without vaping.. your not coming from that place. Plus, your starting a habit that will hardwire your brain into doing certain actions repetitively, turning the hand to mouth, inhaling exhaling action into an addiction that you'll have to re-wire your brain into not doing if you ever want to quit.

The longer you do it,the more difficult it will become to stop doing it. Plus, you have that 5% to concern yourself with.

samandmax

Moved On
Apr 26, 2017
Boston
It is.. but your coming from 100% safe.. so you DO have the 5% to worry about..

Me, I was dead without vaping.. your not coming from that place. Plus, your starting a habit that will hardwire your brain into doing certain actions repetitively, turning the hand to mouth, inhaling exhaling action into an addiction that you'll have to re-wire your brain into not doing if you ever want to quit.

The longer you do it,the more difficult it will become to stop doing it. Plus, you have that 5% to concern yourself with.
So its as addictive as smoking cigarettes?

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

Forgot to add.. the menthol in cough drops you suck on and it has anesthetic qualities, meaning, it lightly numbs your throat.. what your NOT doing is inhaling it directly.

Plus, it's something that is intended for using over the course of one week, perhaps once or twice a year.. not once or twice a week every single week..

There is a difference here.. it is NOT the same thing..

samandmax

Moved On
Apr 26, 2017
Boston
Forgot to add.. the menthol in cough drops you suck on and it has anesthetic qualities, meaning, it lightly numbs your throat.. what your NOT doing is inhaling it directly.

Plus, it's something that is intended for using over the course of one week, perhaps once or twice a year.. not once or twice a week every single week..

There is a difference here.. it is NOT the same thing..
I used to be addicted to menthol cough drops and would have 4 / hour...

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
So its as addictive as smoking cigarettes?

No.. not chemically if your not using nicotine.. but you can get addicted to the action..

The first time I tried to quit vaping (after quitting smoking) I failed..BECAUSE of the 33 year hand to mouth action. The second time I tried to quit vaping I succeeded for 5 months..

But it was NOT easy.. I ate more, had to figure out what to do with my hands and kept reaching for my vape at certain times..

You are hardwiring your brain, and it is very very difficult to rewire it to do something else instead.. it's a process once your brain makes those pathways..

Reactions: Eskie

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I vape 0 nicotine menthol e juice, was wondering if the menthol is harmful.
The carefully worded, correct answer to your question is there is a broad consensus that vaping is lower risk than smoking. If you don't vape then the risk is even lower.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
So vaping is bad for health is what you are saying...

It's better than picking up a cigarette and lighting up.. but it's NOT taking a vitamin. How bad it might be for the health of a non smoker - never smoker, we simply don't yet know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread