Status
Not open for further replies.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I use 0 nicotine so I don't become addicted.
There are many factors to getting hooked.

Theres the nicotine

Theres the muscle memory of bringing the vape to your lips

Lastly theres tge psychological aspect.

If you dont have the habit don't start it.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
So vaping is bad for health is what you are saying...

The long-term effects of vaping are not yet well understood, and might depend on _how_ and _what_ you vape. It's (very) likely safe to say that vaping is (probably much) less harmful than smoking. It's even possible that vaping is beneficial. But epidemiology is difficult (very much so in this case, given the confounding factors vaping presents,) and people haven't been vaping long enough for there to be really solid answers yet. I'm inclined to think that vaping is pretty safe, but I have to admit to quite a lot of bias in this regard.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
So vaping is bad for health is what you are saying...
Smoking is a waste of time. Vaping is a waste of time too but it's a lower risk, lower cost waste of time. Another bonus is vaping is a superior experience to smoking. If telling you vaping and smoking are unhealthy means that you don't smoke or vape then yes, vaping is unhealthy.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
SMH.
This is not a medical forum, opinions are all you are going to get here. There is no definitive proof of vaping causing harm or otherwise but logic dictates that inhaling chemicals into your lungs is not a good idea. Unless you are doing it to prevent greater harm from inhaling other chemicals.
If you're worried about harmful effects of vaping then don't do it.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I was going to smoke cigarettes because I love the smell, I chose to vape as a healthy alternative.

If this will prevent you from picking up a cigarette, great, use it to prevent that. The use of the words addiction and habit have very specific definitions. Vaping is not addictive. If you vape every day you may find yourself developing the habit of always wanting a vape. Better than being addicted to cigarettes. Your life, your choice. If it's this or smoking by all means stay with vaping.

You are a young adult. Take it from us 30 or 40 year older folks who were addicted to cigarettes, don't go down that road. If vaping keeps you from it, you're well ahead in the deal.

samandmax

Moved On
Apr 26, 2017
Boston
If this will prevent you from picking up a cigarette, great, use it to prevent that. The use of the words addiction and habit have very specific definitions. Vaping is not addictive. If you vape every day you may find yourself developing the habit of always wanting a vape. Better than being addicted to cigarettes. Your life, your choice. If it's this or smoking by all means stay with vaping.

You are a young adult. Take it from us 30 or 40 year older folks who were addicted to cigarettes, don't go down that road. If vaping keeps you from it, you're well ahead in the deal.
I will stick with vaping, thanks for all the input.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I could be completely off base...but combining the join date with the energy drink thread you started and your replys on this thread...I kinda think maybe your mind is already made up. So, it begs the question, why start doing something you're so afraid of? If I was going to smoke because "I loved the smell of cigarettes", vaping is the last thing I'd do...because it smells nothing like cigarettes.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I smoked, and cigarette or no cigarette, I still got into the physical hand motion "habit". I still vape, I lowered my nic so much that I sometimes don't notice not vaping, but, sitting and taking a mental break is healthy. I enjoy vaping for the breaks.

Its much better than smoking, but if I never smoked, why bother vaping?

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

You are correct in the clarification between addiction and habit.. I didn't use the correct wording!

samandmax

Moved On
Apr 26, 2017
Boston
I smoked, and cigarette or no cigarette, I still got into the physical hand motion "habit". I still vape, I lowered my nic so much that I sometimes don't notice not vaping, but, sitting and taking a mental break is healthy. I enjoy vaping for the breaks.

Its much better than smoking, but if I never smoked, why bother vaping?
Vaping is less addictive.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Addiction is a word with a meaning. Psychologically speaking, I am an addict physically, mentally, and or emotionally in several prominent ways. It does have a broad meaning.

If it wasn't for staying away from tobacco, I doubt that that I would have started vaping. I can think of better hobbies.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Treating the conditions you stated you struggle with is best left in the hands of medical professionals to diagnose & develop a plan of treatment.

Self medication is never a good idea, you could be making matters worse long term or masking symptoms that might prevent accurate clinical diagnosis.

Vaping is less harmful than inhaling smoldering tobacco, but, inhaling anything other than air comes with risks.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I read somewhere that vaping is 95% safe and menthol is used in cough drops.

Did you read that Vaping is 95% Safe? Or was what you read that Vaping is 95% Less Harmful than Smoking?

And when the 95 Percentile was Calculated, were Weighted Averages Used? If so, what was the Criteria for Harm? And How were they Weighted?

Lots of things like Menthol may be considered GRAS (Generally Regarded as Safe) when you occasionally Eat them. But when you Vaporize them and then Inhale them, they might not have the same Relative Safety. Especially in one inhales them 24-7, 365.

If you are a Non-Smoker, I would suggest that you Don't start Vaping. Because Vaping is, by All Reasonable accounts, Much Less Harmful than Smoking. But that does Not say that Vaping may not cause any Harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread