Any health risks of light vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samandmax

Moved On
Apr 26, 2017
Boston
Did you read that vaping is 95% Safe? Or was what you read that vaping is 95% Less Harmful than Smoking?

And when the 95 Percentile was Calculated, were Weighted Averages Used? If so, what was the Criteria for Harm? And How were they Weighted?

Lots of things like Menthol may be considered GRAS (Generally Regarded as Safe) when you occasionally Eat them. But when you Vaporize them and then Inhale them, they might not have the same Relative Safety. Especially in one inhales them 24-7, 365.

If you are a Non-Smoker, I would suggest that you Don't start vaping. Because Vaping is, by All Reasonable accounts, Much Less Harmful than Smoking. But that does Not say that Vaping may not cause any Harm.
Lots of people use drug and drink alcohol, why not vape? Its less harmful than lots of stuff.

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    I, for one, applaud your decision to pick up vaping....

I honestly can't tell you if menthol is safe for you or not as people are different and react in different ways to different things.

Yes, vaping is 95% safer than cigs and you are doing well to pick up the vape rather than a stinky.

You vaping at 0 nic is good as you don't become addicted to it. BUT there are things that you could become addicted to... The motion of vaping, buying lots of gear.... Um Buying lots more gear, Oh did I mention buying lots of gear? LOL

Good luck on your journey and remember to read up on as much safety as you can. :p:p

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Lots of people use drug and drink alcohol, why not vape? Its less harmful than lots of stuff.

Sure. Lots of People do Lots of Stuff. But does that Mean it is something You should do?

Hey If you want to Vape, Go for it.

But the Thread Topic was about Potential Harm. And I, like some others, are only Pointing Out that Most consider Vaping as Harm Reduction. Not Harm Elimination.

So for Someone who Smokes, Harm Reduction is a Very Good Thing.

For Someone who Doesn't Smoke? Well... there is No Harm Reduction. Only the Potential for Harm.

samandmax

Moved On
    Apr 26, 2017
    Boston
    Sure. Lots of People do Lots of Stuff. But does that Mean it is something You should do?

Hey If you want to Vape, Go for it.

But the Thread Topic was about Potential Harm. And I, like some others, are only Pointing Out that Most consider Vaping as Harm Reduction. Not Harm Elimination.

So for Someone who Smokes, Harm Reduction is a Very Good Thing.

For Someone who Doesn't Smoke? Well... there is No Harm Reduction. Only the Potential for Harm.
    You explained it perfectly, thanks.

samandmax

Moved On
    Apr 26, 2017
    Boston
    I, for one, applaud your decision to pick up vaping....

I honestly can't tell you if menthol is safe for you or not as people are different and react in different ways to different things.

Yes, vaping is 95% safer than cigs and you are doing well to pick up the vape rather than a stinky.

You vaping at 0 nic is good as you become addicted to it. BUT there are things that you could become addicted to... The motion of vaping, buying lots of gear.... Um Buying lots more gear, Oh did I mention buying lots of gear? LOL

Good luck on your journey and remember to read up on as much safety as you can. :p:p
    Thanks!

Robino1

Resting in Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Treasure Coast, Florida
    Per the FDA themselves, nicotine on its own is not as addictive as thought.
    From their own website: Nicotine Replacement Therapy Labels May Change

Now, the Food and Drug Administration—after reviewing scientific research on the safety of NRT products sold over the counter (OTC)—has decided that some warnings and limitations specified in the directions for use on the labels of these products are no longer necessary to make sure they are used safely and effectively to quit smoking.

The changes that FDA is allowing to these labels reflect the fact that although any nicotine-containing product is potentially addictive, decades of research and use have shown that NRT products sold OTC do not appear to have significant potential for abuse or dependence.

For never smokers, nicotine is not the addictive devil that we have all been brainwashed to believe. Something else in the cigarette themselves is the devil.

Personally, I would rather younger people vape rather than take up smoking. At least with vaping, once that curiosity is over and they decide that they are done with it, they won't have that addiction monkey on their back. Unlike others and myself. When I was ready to just say the heck with this, I was already hopelessly addicted to smoking. It really didn't take long either.

If given the choice, I would rather my grandkids vape rather than pick up smoking.

Also, the habit of hand to mouth is easier to break when you've only had a shorter period of time for it to develop. My hand to mouth habit has been with me for over 30 years. That is one tough habit to break.

As for menthol, there are many things that have menthol in them that are made for inhaling. Vicks (as been mentioned above) and Halls lozenges are a couple that come to mind.

Personally, I do not like menthol so can't address how it makes me feel vaping it for a long period. As mentioned, there have been many vapers that do use menthol vapes and they don't report any negative effects.

To everyone, this is a vape based website. Whether or not we agree or disagree on if a non smoker vapes, they are still welcome to discuss vaping in general.

We are not here to pass judgement but to lend help and guidance with vape related issues and to answer questions to the best of our ability. :)

samandmax

Moved On
    Apr 26, 2017
    Boston
    Per the FDA themselves, nicotine on its own is not as addictive as thought.
    From their own website: Nicotine Replacement Therapy Labels May Change

Now, the Food and Drug Administration—after reviewing scientific research on the safety of NRT products sold over the counter (OTC)—has decided that some warnings and limitations specified in the directions for use on the labels of these products are no longer necessary to make sure they are used safely and effectively to quit smoking.

The changes that FDA is allowing to these labels reflect the fact that although any nicotine-containing product is potentially addictive, decades of research and use have shown that NRT products sold OTC do not appear to have significant potential for abuse or dependence.

For never smokers, nicotine is not the addictive devil that we have all been brainwashed to believe. Something else in the cigarette themselves is the devil.

Personally, I would rather younger people vape rather than take up smoking. At least with vaping, once that curiosity is over and they decide that they are done with it, they won't have that addiction monkey on their back. Unlike others and myself. When I was ready to just say the heck with this, I was already hopelessly addicted to smoking. It really didn't take long either.

If given the choice, I would rather my grandkids vape rather than pick up smoking.

Also, the habit of hand to mouth is easier to break when you've only had a shorter period of time for it to develop. My hand to mouth habit has been with me for over 30 years. That is one tough habit to break.

As for menthol, there are many things that have menthol in them that are made for inhaling. Vicks (as been mentioned above) and Halls lozenges are a couple that come to mind.

Personally, I do not like menthol so can't address how it makes me feel vaping it for a long period. As mentioned, there have been many vapers that do use menthol vapes and they don't report any negative effects.

To everyone, this is a vape based website. Whether or not we agree or disagree on if a non smoker vapes, they are still welcome to discuss vaping in general.

We are not here to pass judgement but to lend help and guidance with vape related issues and to answer questions to the best of our ability. :)
    Very very well said!

Robino1

Resting in Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Treasure Coast, Florida
    Yep, understood.
    To me at least, seeking professional medical opinion & treatment seems to be a reasonable approach before trying things to cope with your ailments.
    But it's been known since at least back in 2014 that nicotine does help for ADHD and other neurological issues.

Nicotine, the Wonder Drug? | DiscoverMagazine.com

Some would rather use a basically harmless product such as nicotine instead of chemical drugs made by drug companies.
    @EddardinWinter uses nic to help with his (tagging him and hope that he can in and weigh in on this).

Smokers usually are self medicating. Sometimes I wonder if some of us hard core smokers, who couldn't be successful in quitting, weren't just basically self medicating and might just be why some of us weren't able to quit....

Just thinking out loud here..

Sludge Van Diesel

ECF Veteran
    Sep 24, 2009
    Barnet UK
    So vaping is bad for health is what you are saying...
    Are you actually anti vaping?

You seem intent on getting folks to say that vaping is bad for you.

TBH I think you should discuss everything you're asking here with a doctor.

BackDoc

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 24, 2010
    Galts Gulch
    Are you actually anti vaping?

You seem intent on getting folks to say that vaping is bad for you.

TBH I think you should discuss everything you're asking here with a doctor.
    My thoughts exactly, I question the OPs sincerity, I think we're being played....I may be wrong but my instinct tells me Otherwise

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    But it's been known since at least back in 2014 that nicotine does help for ADHD and other neurological issues.

Nicotine, the Wonder Drug? | DiscoverMagazine.com

Some would rather use a basically harmless product such as nicotine instead of chemical drugs made by drug companies.
    @EddardinWinter uses nic to help with his (tagging him and hope that he can in and weigh in on this).

Smokers usually are self medicating. Sometimes I wonder if some of us hard core smokers, who couldn't be successful in quitting, weren't just basically self medicating and might just be why some of us weren't able to quit....

Just thinking out loud here..

I understand that too.
    There are doctors that use nicotine therapy as treatment or part of a treatment plan, big difference is they use specifically metered dosages with specific patients.

There is just as much research that says in some cases with some patients nicotine can exacerbate neurological issues / several are actually made worse by nicotine.

So without consulting a doctor, you may or may not get any relief, or, you may make things worse.

Didn't know ecf changed so much that now laymen giving medical advice and encouraging vaping for medicinal reasons not knowing any specifics of the particulars or condition severity without first consulting medical professionals is SOP now.

All I've said was it would be a good idea to consult a medical professional for advice beforehand.

Youda thunk I was talking about stomping kitties, kicking puppies & clubbing baby seals.

Last edited:

Sludge Van Diesel

ECF Veteran
    Sep 24, 2009
    Barnet UK
    I'm sorry but I feel very offended, being attacked by members on forum for asking questions.....
    It doesn't help you that the questions you're asking seem to be worded to direct us into negative answers, plus the fact that you've contradicted yourself in a few of your threads.

Maybe you should draw a line under things & start afresh? I've done similar on another forum after a misunderstanding when I first joined it. I get on with most, if not all of the members there now.

samandmax

Moved On
    Apr 26, 2017
    Boston
    It doesn't help you that the questions you're asking seem to be worded to direct us into negative answers, plus the fact that you've contradicted yourself in a few of your threads.

Maybe you should draw a line under things & start afresh? I've done similar on another forum after a misunderstanding when I first joined it. I get on with most, if not all of the members there now.
    Sorry for coming off the wrong way, I will continue to vape regardless.

mattiem

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    I hope we have given you a lot of food for thought and have at least put your mind at ease on some of your concerns. Bottom line.....nothing in life can be guaranteed to be 100% safe. Vaping is just one of the things that can't be guaranteed 100% safe but we are confident in it being at least 95% safer than smoking.

If one was to consider smoking I personally would much rather they start vaping instead. I am glad that you chose vaping over smoking.

samandmax

Moved On
    Apr 26, 2017
    Boston
    I hope we have given you a lot of food for thought and have at least put your mind at ease on some of your concerns. Bottom line.....nothing in life can be guaranteed to be 100% safe. Vaping is just one of the things that can't be guaranteed 100% safe but we are confident in it being at least 95% safer than smoking.

If one was to consider smoking I personally would much rather they start vaping instead. I am glad that you chose vaping over smoking.
    Thanks! Also are herbal cigarettes safe as well? Thinking of trying some.

mattiem

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Thanks! Also are herbal cigarettes safe as well? Thinking of trying some.
    You're very welcome. I know nothing at all about herbal cigarettes so can't help you there. I personally wouldn't do it because I don't want to be inhaling ANY kind of smoke.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread