Any reports of Eroll battery explostions/problems?

Discussion in 'Joyetech eRoll *Mini*' started by Erncig, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Erncig

Erncig Senior Member ECF Veteran

I just read a recent article about an exploding ecig.

Just gets me worried. Having something blow up in your mouth is perhaps the scariest thing in the world.

2. patkin

patkin Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Never heard of it. Don't know what you read to advise on how to search for the facts on it. Do you have a link? One place to check is in the "Media/News" subforums here. There are usually some very good researchers over there.

3. chefkeith

chefkeith Senior Member ECF Veteran

As far as I know, that's a problem that can happen when a battery isn't properly vented. The hole at the end of the battery should prevent this.

4. patkin

Expounding: The Eroll being an automatic requiring air flow and a hole to provide that means its vented. If you suddenly get no airflow, then, yeh make sure the hole isn't plugged and don't try to charge it in that condition as that's when problems occur... seldom when in-hand.

5. chefkeith

chefkeith Senior Member ECF Veteran

I could very well be wrong, but I believe the vent hole is on the charging end of the battery and is unrelated to airflow.

6. Dominique Hoogduin

Dominique Hoogduin Super Member ECF Veteran

unless using badly charged/discharged lithium polymer batteries that is most unlikely to happen.. but still.. Cell phones have been going up in smoke over the years.. i'd still pay attention if the batteries dont run too hot.. if it start getting hot or deforming = get rid of it.

7. rico942

rico942 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I've lost one eRoll battery so far, by dripping with bacon flavored juice ... :shock:

No, wait, I lost another one in a bar, it eRolled away, never to be seen again ... :(

Guess I never give them a chance to fail ... :blush:

8. Andy Morris

Andy Morris Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dropping them into the washing up can be tricky.

9. ccm2000

ccm2000 Senior Member ECF Veteran

I've lost two to the loo :(

10. jav74

jav74 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Is it possible cause od dead battery is falling down from half a meter?

<

11. Pepo

Pepo Full Member Verified Member

Today I noticed my e-roll charger was swelled up. I opened it and the battery inside was two times thicker than ordinarily.
    I have a second battery as a spare, but I will not dare to change it in place, because there can be the original fault in the electronics which swelled the battery.

12. ccm2000

ccm2000 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Pepo, are you saying the eRoll battery was two times thicker or the PCC battery? Can you give more details about this?

13. Pepo

Pepo Full Member Verified Member

I mean the PCC battery which is inside the PCC when open the cover with a screwdriver. That was swelled up and made even the bottom plate of the PCC -cover balloon out.

14. alisa1970

alisa1970 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

15. telsie

telsie Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Yikes. Definitely don't use it again! I'd get rid of it as soon as possible. Do you have a Best Buy near you? I think they have battery disposal bins. Or your local landfill/dump/garbage drop off center might have a special bin for batteries.

16. Dominique Hoogduin

Dominique Hoogduin Super Member ECF Veteran

it fires when u blow or suck the hole.. so im guessing it is related.

17. telsie

I have two PCCs, both about a year old and both just started bulging. I didn't even realize it at first because the only thing I noticed was that the hinge was messed up on one of them and the lid wouldn't close all the way. I thought maybe I'd dropped it and forgotten or something and damaged the hinge.

I used it that way for about a week before the lid/hinge situation suddenly got worse. Then I knew something was up. On closer examination of the case, I could see the back was bulging. That's why the lid wouldn't close anymore - the case was warped from a bulging battery. Eek. I checked my other PCC and, though it has no lid problem, I can see a small gap along the hinge and slight bulge on the back of the case. The worst of my PCCs was retired immediately, but I'm still using the one with the slight bulge until the new ones I ordered arrive.

I wonder if one year is sort of the lifespan of these PCCs. Anyone else notice this happen at about that age or is it just a freak coincidence for me?

Pictures below are what the worst one looks like. It's hard to see that there's a bulge from the photos, but if you look at the curvature of the reflections on the back of the case, you can tell it's swollen.

Photo Jul 01, 1 31 54 PM.jpg

Photo Jun 27, 8 01 49 PM.jpg Photo Jun 27, 8 02 34 PM.jpg

Photo Jun 27, 8 03 37 PM.jpg Photo Jun 27, 8 03 52 PM.jpg

18. classwife

classwife Ask The Vets Manager
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Whoa !

I think regardless of age, joyetech needs to be notified of this.

I went to check mine just to be safe.

19. patkin

Yikes. I have 3 PCCs (one still in the box) that are a year old. So far so good. Is it age or use? I only use mine, now, when I go for long periods which is infrequently. The first three months I had them I used daily. How long/ often have these year-old ones been used? Are they charged daily? So, is it a leaking problem or over charging problem? Would you pleae update if you contact Joye?

Edit: Man I'm upset. I was gonna gift the kit still in the box but wouldn't feel right doing that now.

20. telsie

It could be a combination of age and the way that I use them, I really don't know.

On a typical day, I use up one PCC completely then switch to the second one only which gets partially used before they're both plugged into chargers for the night (they're both plugged in every night whether they're fully drained or not). I usually alternate which one I use first each day, so they've been used about the same amount over time. Sometimes I leave one on the charger during the day and sometimes I'll plug one into my computer for a few hours while I'm on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.