Any RM2 fans feeling charitable? Wanna help a newb get set up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using cartos on my Reo Grand since I bought it in October, but I want to try an rba. I bought an RM2 because I don't have a LP Grand. It is en route to me.

I also bought some readyxwick because I hate touching cotton (don't ask) and someone said it was very low-maintenance and easy to use in the forums here. I got 3mm.

I also bought some Kanthal wire (28g and 30g) from Rob's shop.

I have never done any of this before and the more I read, the more confused I become regarding the electrical components and their safety.

What do I need for a mount? What do I need for an ohm meter, or a cartometer (what do these things mean)? What is an ideal reading, and an ideal wrap? Any suggestions for helping me get set up would be great. Thank you.

Format

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
UK
I too started on carto's and have since seen the good side of making your own and saving massive amounts on what you could achieve from using your own build.

See the brilliant UTubes by superx and you will not look back and will save a lot more on $ or £ on building your own and they last for months not weeks.

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
It looks like he has an active thread about this, thank you for the advice! I don't want to blow up my pretty face.... but I do want to stop using cartos. ;)
Yep! You can do that too! Hrs got his vids there as well!

As far as an ohm checker, they are essential for coil building. I got mine on ebay, but most online vendors carry them.

Digital Ohm Meter Resistance Reader Voltage Tester 510 Atomizer | eBay

I would search Baditudes battery blogs here as well. Hes our battery guru! They'll tell you all you need to know about battery safety.

People will tell you differently but I suggest AW batteries for the Reo if you're not going to sub ohm. I love them and they work great!

When it comes to what ohm coil you want to make it all comes down to what you feel comfortable vaping at. When I used Protanks and such, I liked my 1.8 ohm coils. It was a happy medium for me. So when I started rebuilding and bought my Reos I build them at 1.3 ohm. Its the perfect vape. If you like the ohms for the cartos you were using, shoot for that ohm.

Hope that jumble helped out a little!

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Double-ditto on watching SuperX videos to get started.
The "perfect" coil and wicking will be up to you - different folks like different stuff...

But since you're starting with a stock RM2, it will have a pretty tiny airhole, which means it will be a good transition from cartos as far as the "draw". It also means you don't want to build a really low-resistance coil. Something a little over 1 ohm, and you should get more vapor and flavor and instant gratification compared to a carto!

You can take your 28g wire, wrap it about 6 times around that 3mm X-wick, mount it on the RM2, check it on the little ohm-meter, and you'll probably be set to go.

A lot of people make a tidier coil by wrapping it around a metal rod - a drill bit for instance, then sliding the wick through. But with the 3mm wick, it might be harder to find an appropriate rod. Most folks have little screwdrivers or drill bits in the 2mm range.

Here's a tool to ESTIMATE your coil - so you can have a starting point.\
Plug in your wire gauge, target ohms, and see how many wraps to try - but always test it on the ohm-meter before using it!

Have fun!!

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Superxdrifter's latest videos felt with bat saftey And coil builds.
Mech mod safety - batteries, coils and everything you need to know to be an educated and safe vaper | E-Cigarette Forum

Here you can find everything you need.

Coil Master Coil Jig | Lightning Vapes

Though where you bought the ready x wick sells the coil master cheaper but it took me a week to get it first class a state away.. slow mail from Ohio I something.

Coil ohms meter and coil master and you should be set.. make your coils at 3mm for that 3mm wick.

I'd go 1ohm or 1.2 ohms.

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.
Hi Raven! Welcome to Reoville!
I'm awful at describing what you need for your Reo...but I will say, cuz i know it for a fact, that it's the best vaping mod on the planet and Redeyedancer ( REO) is the best supplier!

And the Reo lounge is the best lounge!

Am I a little bit biased???

NAH!!!! My personal experience makes it a fact:D

You'll have lots of folks coming along to give you excellent advice and pointers soon!

Coffee's in the kitchen... if the chairs are full i'm sure some gentleman will get up for you...and if not just yank him up...

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
A cheap multimeter from home depot/walmart/lowes/napa/carquest etc is more useful for any electricity using human's life than an ohm checker... And, I am a proponent of owning and at least knowing the basics of a multimeter... That said:

If you just want an ohm checker with a 510 connection just for attys, there are different levels of quality and accuracy. I've had the opportunity to test a few. The best of the bunch is from USAohmmeters.com. They're the most accurate and can optionally come with the best 510 connector any ohm meter comes with. They're also the top of the price scale and that vendor seems to ship maybe once a week so it can require a tiny bit of patience to get one and you could own a decent low end digital multimeter for the same money.... The worst of the bunch was the eleaf. Out of the ten I tested, the best one proved accurate to a tenth of an ohm, two proved not to function at all, and the worst working one was accurate to 1.75 ohms (it never read within 1.75 ohms of what was true). The remaining were somewhere in between but tended to never give the exact same reading twice with the same atty. The Segelei ohm checkers I tested also rarely gave the same reading twice, but all of them worked and all were accurate to .09 of an ohm (I don't think .09 is good, but at least it isn't what I consider dangerous like the worst of the eleafs I tested)...

So, in the 10-15 dollar range, the Segelei might be useful for checking attys. I won't recommend the eleaf under any circumstances even at the 6 bucks each I paid (though mostly I see them sell for 12 or so). And, if you are willing to spend double the money for accuracy, ~30 bucks will get you a usaohmmeters with the nicer connection, but you might wait a week or so for them to ship it.

Thanks everyone!

I adore my Reo and wouldn't trade it for anything after terrible times with cigalikes and leaking tanks. Keeps me from smoking! The carto flavor and performance leave a lot to be desired, but they are close to no fuss, which is the lone attraction. I am so excited to get the ability to customize my vape; however, the endless possibilities of customization are also what has made it so daunting to dive in for me! (And also the possibility of setting myself on fire).

I watched the superxdrifter video regarding coil build and battery safety and that did help a lot. I plan to watch it again when I have everything in front of me. Thanks SuperX for the videos! I am very grateful for all of your product suggestions; I bought a coil jig, and the first suggested ohm reader (I bought those items before I saw Six's post - rats!). I will update again soon. Thanks again!

Reactions: RuDawg7890

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Don't let the endless possibilities for your builds etc intimidate you - they're just that - possibilities, options. Truth be told my first ever RM2 build was god awful IMO, but - it blew any vape I had ever had prior out of the water. I ripped my cursed Kayfun in half with mighty strength, and pulled an office space on that POS. 9+ months later I'm still rocking the REO. One of my REOs will be buried with me. The rest will go to friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread