Any talk about providing a brass repair kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ego-sum-deus

Verified Member
Jan 26, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if there have been any ideas in the making about providing a brass repair kit? I think it'd be pretty awesome if we could buy the repair kit, like the ones available now, but instead have the metal lever, bottom spring(?), and possibly a firing pin, offered in brass. I'm really curious to try this new brass kick that's happening in mechs.

Also, as a side note, have there been any studies on voltage drops in the Reos (of course, being well cleaned prior to testing)?

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if there have been any ideas in the making about providing a brass repair kit? I think it'd be pretty awesome if we could buy the repair kit, like the ones available now, but instead have the metal lever, bottom spring(?), and possibly a firing pin, offered in brass. I'm really curious to try this new brass kick that's happening in mechs.

Also, as a side note, have there been any studies on voltage drops in the Reos (of course, being well cleaned prior to testing)?

By the metal lever bottom spring and firing pin it sounds like you are talking about the firing pin which is in the rebuild kit and what do you mean brass repair there is no brass in a reo except for a wood reo has a brass catch cup ????

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
He's thinking that brass would help conductivity .....

Not really an issue with a REO and the firing pin is spring steel I believe ..... Brass would be way to soft to hold up in such a thin strip and the point would surely flatten after about 10 fires.

Honestly the hole brass movement in mechanicals is pretty silly.
Out of all the ones I've owned the problem is not where the screw touches the battery (both top and bottom)
Its in the switch construction themselves (having to push the switch to the side to make better contact with its parts).

If people are that worried about .1 (or less) volts they should just make their atty lower ohm ......
Boom same great vape.

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011

Not really an issue with a REO and the firing pin is spring steel I believe ..... Brass would be way to soft to hold up in such a thin strip and the point would surely flatten after about 10 fires.

Out of all the ones I've owned the problem is not where the screw touches the battery (both top and bottom)
Its in the switch construction themselves (having to push the switch to the side to make better contact with its parts).

If people are that worried about .1 (or less) volts they should just make their atty lower ohm ......
Boom same great vape.

Ya its like people wanting to kick Reo's nowadays I see no point just adjust your RBA ohms to suit :)

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine

Boom same great vape.
I couldn't have said it better myself

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal

Boom same great vape.

Exactly, brass is not a suitable metal to use for the firing pin & spring contacts. The brass colored contact springs that you see are not brass, it's a plating, normally gold. Still not enough to make a difference.

I used a lot of brass for battey contacts when I built flashlights but only cause I was able to make the contacts I needed at home & it's solderable. For better conductivity copper would be better than brass but it's even softer than brass & oxidizes much faster. Silver plating would be idea but really the minute benefit is not worth the additional cost.

IMHO the Reo doesn't really need any funtional improvments, believe me, I've looked many times. :)

Last edited:

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I may have mentioned this before, I sanded some contacts down to brass on other mods. There was a brief improvement. I say brief because, over time, I spent more time vaping dirty brass than clean, and that don't hit so good. Brass contacts are good if you really like to disassemble and scuff 'n buff things frequently. (This aside from the other practical points specific to REO design, mentioned above.)

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
I hope this comes across right.

I measure voltage drop by the satisfaction I get from my vape. I am a major snob when it comes to a seriously satisfying vape. When I switched/quit smoking, I decided that I was gonna set myself up with a vape so good, that I wouldn't even want a smoke. I vape 32mg nic @ 0.5-0.8Ω. I demand nothing short of excellent flavor, vapor, and throat hit. When I take a toot or three on my setups, my brain says "ooooohhhhh, yeah". If I were to switch from one mod to another, and all else being equal, I found myself unsatisfied, the voltage drop issue would be "measured". I came upon (was mailed by Russ) the REO from a place where I was using the Mech. Smoktech Telescope*, and the Natural (both sanded down contacts). My vape quality was right on the money with the REO. 'Nuff said. (by me, that is)

*pbusardo's #1 rated mod for voltage drop @ 1Ω

Last edited:

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
Thank you - i was just wondering how you made that figure is all. I can't say it's anything i ever bothered to find out before, because i failed to see the relevance to how something vapes. I'm sure it's no issue at all on vv devices - just wondered is all. Same as brass and all that.

What i'd like is an all silver Reo that electrocutes me! I might have a few willing to chip in to help me pay for it, but in the meantime i'll stick with what i have.

To your credit, nobody has ever answered that question before to my satisfaction and i have a meter here going rusty.

T

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
Thank you - i was just wondering how you made that figure is all. I can't say it's anything i ever bothered to find out before, because i failed to see the relevance to how something vapes. I'm sure it's no issue at all on vv devices - just wondered is all. Same as brass and all that.

What i'd like is an all silver Reo that electrocutes me! I might have a few willing to chip in to help me pay for it, but in the meantime i'll stick with what i have.

To your credit, nobody has ever answered that question before to my satisfaction and i have a meter here going rusty.

T

What I really want is an all bronze Reo :D I just happened to have my meter on my desk beside me so I was easy :lol:

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012

T

Laughing! (yes, out loud)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread