Anybody else tried Flavorah flavorings? Why not? Do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiceBurner95

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2014
Leeds, AL
I'm surprised that I haven't seen more talk about this company. I bought 6 of their flavors, and got a free bottle (a full 15ml bottle, a $5.49 gift), and so far have only tried one flavor. So far, this has been the best straight flavor I've had. It's Creme de Menthe, which basically tastes just like Andes chocolate mints. Incredible flavor! The flavors are very concentrated and only require 2%-5% according to the company. 3% for the Creme de Menthe was just right to me. They claim that their liquid is made for the purpose of vaping, whereas most flavorings out there are initially and primarily for baking and candy making. I'm also thoroughly impressed with their packaging and presentation of the flavors. Mine came in a flip top box with a large sticker label on the bottom of the lid with all of the information on the flavors in the box, and each 15ml bottle is individually vacuum sealed in a strip of thick plastic. The bottles themselves are high quality and the label is well made and easy to read and identify unlike some other flavorings I've used.

I'm only promoting them because I'm happy with the service and the product, and want to get the company out there. Check them out.

Flavor Concentrate for DIY Eliquid | Flavorah

Last edited:

RiceBurner95

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2014
Leeds, AL
That's what I'm expecting and hoping. But yeah, even right after shaking, it's clean, not harsh and no chemical/alcohol taste like some flavors give you before steeping. It's a smooth vanilla with maybe a slight spice to it. It gives me more of a vanilla cake sort of flavor, versus more of a vanilla ice cream flavor. But I am tasting this on a recently coffee scalded mouth, so my sense of taste is a little weak at the moment. So far, both of these flavors could be my daily vape, and I'd be happy with them.

RiceBurner95

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2014
Leeds, AL
I think the vanilla custard was meant to be more of a mixer flavor. It's good by itself, but I thought I would try it with strawberry, and I like it even better. 3% Vanilla and 2% Stawberry, for a nice strawberry shortcake type flavor. It lacks the pastry/baked sort of flavor for a proper strawberry shortcake, but it's good nonetheless.

That's something else unique about their flavor lineup. They have less overall flavor options than most companies, but they claim that they were developed to be mixed together well, and so far that is holding up. A lot of times with other flavorings like TPA, mixing can be a bit of a roll of the dice. Flavors that seem like they would go well together sometimes don't mix well at all. So if they have pulled off a lineup of flavors that mix well together, consistently, I think they have something special.

Last edited:

nat king kong

Jan 14, 2015
Texas
I'll be "that guy"- sorry to those who don't care about the diketone issue. This info on their website really annoys me:

Food Grade flavorings are FDA listed as “Generally Recognized as Safe”
Manufactured according to GMP
No artificial coloring added
Soluble in 100% VG recipes
No added sweeteners
No added Diacetyl
Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) are available (see Safety Page)
Made in USA

I find this to be purposefully misleading. First, like many other flavoring and ejuice vendors, they tout their attention to diacetyl while ignoring acetyl propionyl/acetoin which alone is a gross disservice to vapers. But this goes even further and is more egregious: they indicate that their flavorings are made at an independent manufacturer. They say " No added Diacetyl". What that suggests to me is they don't test their independently-manufactured flavorings for diacetyl, but they don't add any diacetyl themselves once they get their product from the lab (which would be ridiculous). Otherwise, why not say "diacetyl free"? That's like a restaurant getting their eggs from some shady farm that may or may not have salmonella-infested eggs, but the restaurant saying "well at least WE don't add salmonella once we get them". This is highly dubious to me.

RiceBurner95

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2014
Leeds, AL
This is from their safety page, they also have an MSDS for each flavor. That seems above and beyond any other flavoring that I've used. At least I never recall seeing that kind of info before.

"Our policy is that we do not add any diacetyl to our flavors. However, there is naturally occurring diacetyl in several of our flavors: strawberry, coffee, coconut and cantaloupe.

We are working on new formulas which will remove traces of Acetoin and Acetyl Propionyl from our flavors as well. Currently our Creme de Menthe, Blueberry Muffin, Peach and Vanilla Custard flavors contain traces of Acetoin and Acetyl Propionyl.

Flavorah Flavors meet FDA “Generally Recognized as Safe” standards for food flavorings. All flavor concentrates are made in the USA according to GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice)."

They apparently source their stuff from Mother Murphy's Laboratories, Inc. According to their own website, they make flavorings for baking, beverage, confection, dairy, nutraceutical, pharmaceutical, tobacco, grain, snack and pet industries.

Hardly seems purposefully misleading and dubious to me... :?:

Last edited:

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
When I first saw this thread, I immediately ordered some as I'm always looking for new flavors. I ordered Vanilla Custard and Blueberry Muffin. And hey, they threw in a free 15mL of Blueberry which is pretty generous. I just made a batch of Vanilla Custard at the maximum of their recommended range (2%-5%) and 5% wasn't nearly enough for me. The flavor is fantastic though.

I just upped the flavor percentage to 8% and will see how it is. I'm going to venture a guess that the percentages will end up being in my normal range: ~15% Vanilla Custard.

I will report back on the batch of Blueberry Muffin when I make it!

Edit: Just tried the 8% and it is superb! The flavor is just about perfect and it tastes great fresh. Can't wait to see how it tastes when it's steeped!

Edit 2: I just checked their site and they don't even have a strictly 'Blueberry' flavor up right now. So maybe it's a new flavor their sampling for reviews? Not sure. Smells good though.

Edit 3: Just made the Blueberry Muffin and it's another fantastic flavor. Once again though, too weak for me at 5%. On to 8%!

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
This is from their safety page, they also have an MSDS for each flavor. That seems above and beyond any other flavoring that I've used. At least I never recall seeing that kind of info before.

"Our policy is that we do not add any diacetyl to our flavors. However, there is naturally occurring diacetyl in several of our flavors: strawberry, coffee, coconut and cantaloupe.

We are working on new formulas which will remove traces of Acetoin and Acetyl Propionyl from our flavors as well. Currently our Creme de Menthe, Blueberry Muffin, Peach and Vanilla Custard flavors contain traces of Acetoin and Acetyl Propionyl.

Flavorah Flavors meet FDA “Generally Recognized as Safe” standards for food flavorings. All flavor concentrates are made in the USA according to GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice)."

They apparently source their stuff from Mother Murphy's Laboratories, Inc. According to their own website, they make flavorings for baking, beverage, confection, dairy, nutraceutical, pharmaceutical, tobacco, grain, snack and pet industries.

Hardly seems purposefully misleading and dubious to me... :?:

Stating:

Flavorah Flavors meet FDA “Generally Recognized as Safe” standards for food flavorings.

Yeah - that's misleading. And irrelevant to vaping - unless you plan on making a cake instead of vaping one. McCormick meets that standard too - and I sure as hell wouldn't vape any of that stuff either.

RiceBurner95

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2014
Leeds, AL
Stating:

Yeah - that's misleading. And irrelevant to vaping - unless you plan on making a cake instead of vaping one. McCormick meets that standard too - and I sure as hell wouldn't vape any of that stuff either.
And other vaping flavorings have a higher standard than that? I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's about as good as a vapor flavoring company can do for now. I don't think the FDA has a separate field/catagory for vaping just yet. I'd be glad to be proven wrong, but I don't think any other company can do better.

** From TPA website.

"Inhalation of flavor chemical blends by use of electronic cigarettes is a popular and more chemically pure alternative to traditional tobacco smoking. However, please note that this use of flavors is a relatively new practice, and has not been safety-tested by any official organizations. Therefore, we are not able to guarantee that any flavor is safe for this use. This would also be true for any other flavor manufacturer. There are no companies that can guarantee that any flavor is safe for long-term use. There has just not been enough time to do this kind of testing."

So yeah, that's pretty standard to have that level of recognition of safety. As they state, this is still a pretty new thing, so there is a lot of assumptions that it's safe. So again, I don't see this as a misleading thing at all, unless you add EVERY flavor manufacture, and every ready to vape juice maker/vendor out there.

Last edited:

RiceBurner95

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2014
Leeds, AL
When I first saw this thread, I immediately ordered some as I'm always looking for new flavors. I ordered Vanilla Custard and Blueberry Muffin. And hey, they threw in a free 15mL of Blueberry which is pretty generous. I just made a batch of Vanilla Custard at the maximum of their recommended range (2%-5%) and 5% wasn't nearly enough for me. The flavor is fantastic though.

I just upped the flavor percentage to 8% and will see how it is. I'm going to venture a guess that the percentages will end up being in my normal range: ~15% Vanilla Custard.

I will report back on the batch of Blueberry Muffin when I make it!

Edit: Just tried the 8% and it is superb! The flavor is just about perfect and it tastes great fresh. Can't wait to see how it tastes when it's steeped!

Edit 2: I just checked their site and they don't even have a strictly 'Blueberry' flavor up right now. So maybe it's a new flavor their sampling for reviews? Not sure. Smells good though.

Edit 3: Just made the Blueberry Muffin and it's another fantastic flavor. Once again though, too weak for me at 5%. On to 8%!

I found the Vanilla Custard to be a little lighter in flavor than the other flavors I've tried so far. All of the fruits are good at the recommended strength of 2%-5%. I personally found the Blueberry Muffin to be good at 4% or 5%, but I do admit that I like slightly lighter flavors. When I first started out, I was mixing everything at 15%-20% total flavor, but that was TPA which does seem to be a bit weaker overall. Try mixing the blueberry muffin and vanilla custard, it's pretty good. And I think the blueberry is pretty new, and they haven't yet added it to the list. I did see the owner talking on Reddit about it, and saying he was sending out free samples of it with every order. I guess they are testing it out and seeing how people like it before adding it to the website for sale.

My favorite so far is 4% vanilla custard, 1% coconut and 0.5% blueberry muffin. Vaping it right now and enjoying it.

Also, their orange citrus is as close as I've tasted to a fresh orange. Much closer to the real thing than anything I've had from TPA or CAP. I like adding a few drops of menthol to a batch for a little cool and refreshing hit. It's probably awesome with some of that vanilla custard too.

Last edited:

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Stating:

Most all of the flavorings we buy are actually GRAS and made either for baking, flavor drops into water or candy making. Lorann comes to mind....

From TFA webpage:
A DIVISION OF THE PERFUMERS APPRENTICE
Scroll down to find flavors that are ready to use in many applications such as:
Baking
Candy-Making
Carbonated water (soda flavors) and many other applications that have fun with flavors!

The flavors that we sell are "food-safe", made in the U.S, and conform to current Food Industry standards.

From Capells's FAQ:

How do I know how many drops to add?
This answer is different from person to person. It really depends what you like. A good starting point is 3-5 drops per 8oz serving. Keep in mind, if you have a 12 or 16 oz beverage, you will most likely require 6-10 drops. These are DROPS, not teaspoon, tablespoon or ounces. Flavor Drops are extremely concentrated so a little goes a long way!

I saw no reference to eliquid use.

And unless vaping becomes fully approved and legal all flavoring companies will continue to take this approach for legal reasons and possible liability issues.

Like nicotine sold on Amazon for the purpose of refilling nicotine lozenges.

Last edited:

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
I found the Vanilla Custard to be a little lighter in flavor than the other flavors I've tried so far. All of the fruits are good at the recommended strength of 2%-5%. I personally found the Blueberry Muffin to be good at 4% or 5%, but I do admit that I like slightly lighter flavors. When I first started out, I was mixing everything at 15%-20% total flavor, but that was TPA which does seem to be a bit weaker overall. Try mixing the blueberry muffin and vanilla custard, it's pretty good. And I think the blueberry is pretty new, and they haven't yet added it to the list. I did see the owner talking on Reddit about it, and saying he was sending out free samples of it with every order. I guess they are testing it out and seeing how people like it before adding it to the website for sale.

My favorite so far is 4% vanilla custard, 1% coconut and 0.5% blueberry muffin. Vaping it right now and enjoying it.

Also, their orange citrus is as close as I've tasted to a fresh orange. Much closer to the real thing than anything I've had from TPA or CAP. I like adding a few drops of menthol to a batch for a little cool and refreshing hit. It's probably awesome with some of that vanilla custard too.

Definitely man. I'm enjoying their flavors very much. The blueberry muffin at 8% was actually a bit much and brought out that weirdness that some blueberries tend to get. So I dialed it back to 4% and it's light, but good.

I mixed up a batch of Blueberry Custard: 5% Blueberry (Flavorah), 5% Vanilla Custard (Flavorah), 10% Vanilla Custard (Capella), 2% Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (TFA), 0.5% Sweetener (ECigExpress), and 2.5% Ethyl Maltol (ECigExpress). It's pretty darn good. The blueberry flavor is definitely more like a jolly rancher blueberry than a natural blueberry, but I like it. I have it in my Lemo Drop with a 1.4Ω build at 20.5W

chief63

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Oklahoma, United States
I've been playing with some of their flavors this week. This came out pretty tasty.

3% FLAV Wild Melon
4% CAP Marshmallow
2% CAP Coconut

Also made a little using Boysenberry instead of Wild Melon and it was pretty good. I have some of their Custard steeping, along with some Custard and Strawberry. I didn't care for the Crunch Cereal or MIlk & Honey stand alone, but they probably will have a role in some recipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread