• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Anybody Else's JB taste like the JBweld inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
The taste is an ungodly chemical taste that will burn your throat if you inhale it. I've tried everclear, straight vg/pg in the bottle (after ruining juice with soot and taste)

Resorted to airing it out with the cover off - no luck.

So i stick my nose up to the JBweld goop on the atty/bottle cover and that's the EXACT same smell that i am tasting.

here's pics. does your JB have the JB weld right up to the air hole?

it's totally unvapeable except for trying to run juice through there to get rid of the chem taste. after a whiff of the jB weld i can see why it's never going to go away.

what can you use to remove the jbweld? think i'm going to send the JB to a friend and let him dismantle it and see how it ticks

Attachments

• jbjbweld2.jpg
    jbjbweld2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 211
  • JBJBweld.jpg
    JBJBweld.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 200

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
does yours look like that with the jbweld right up to the hole? all the videos and pictures i've seen have a huge hole too, not a tiny one like that. maybe this one is a comeback. don't even know why i got it, because it came with a money order refund in the box. lol shut up and go away ;)

the air flow sux too. if i take the bottle off, it's a monster vape (yet unvapeable). I'm thinking the air hole is too small. :confused:

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
does yours look like that with the jbweld right up to the hole? all the videos and pictures i've seen have a huge hole too, not a tiny one like that. maybe this one is a comeback. don't even know why i got it, because it came with a money order refund in the box. lol shut up and go away ;)

the air flow sux too. if i take the bottle off, it's a monster vape (yet unvapeable). I'm thinking the air hole is too small. :confused:

So you think that's jb weld? Hmmm. The JB weld I have always used was sort of dark grey towards black in color. Maybe that is the smell I remember though. I wish I could make that sick smell/flavor go away though!

As for draw, mine isn't stiff at all. Looking at your picks, it looks like your air hole might be partially covered by that epoxy/jb weld stuff. Your hole is in a different position than mine. Mine is closer to the "top" of your first picture. No wonder we all have different experiences. Seems like this late in the game we are getting different versions. Could it be that we are all beta testing?

Also, your first pic shows the solder blob well. Right where the red wire is soldered to the positive side of the battery contact. Good thing your battery has a button top.

Did you find that the battery fit is tight to the point that it's jammed the spring?

Last edited:

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
mine comes close to the hole, but it is clear. and ralph is right, its epoxy, not jbweld. i have no burn taste (unless i let it run dry). i'm betting if you grind off the epoxy to clear the hole you'll find it draws better.

edit: oops, added attachment to wrong post, see #2 above.

Well, my "blow hole" would be about a quarter inch more towards the clear tubing. If I am not careful the tubing can cover the air hole when I reinsert the prodigal mouthpiece. I call it a blow hole, because I am seasoning mine for 10 minutes every day by blowing thru the mouthpiece into the device. That way I avoid the nastyness.

For a really good time, do this in front of a mirror so you can impress yourself with the clouds that it WILL produce. Now if I can just get past that nasty smavor TM... :rolleyes:

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
epoxy then? it's probably the same method to remove it? i can see solder inside the atty also. don't know if that's normal. i have the JB on the backporch now in the sun to see if it airs out. there is no mistaking the epoxy goop as the same 'flavor' after a week of running juice through it. it's a very strong chemical taste.

maybe the mixture was done by the JB slave and it didn't get the proportions right. I thought all those putty like things don't smell when they are dry. I looked up the MSDS on what i thought was jbweld and it says not to inhale it.

if it doesn't air out, i'll send it to my friend and let him play around with it and grind off the hardener.

i can blow out the blow hole and vapor comes out fine, so i don't think it's blocked. hard to say what the problem is. it's totally unvapeable though. I wonder if that's the mule tasting taste ppl have mentioned? if epoxy got inside the atty, then it's a lost cause. it looks like solder, but i don't know. i see silver solder, and some white stuff in there on the right side and then copper. if i can figure out how to macro on my camera i could get a shot down the atty opening.

worse comes to worse, i can put multi atty battery fittings and reverse hole juice up a factory atty. the box is big enough to do pretty much anything in there.

Ralph, i didn't have a problem putting the battery in there. popped right in. i have another box mod that hosed a 14550 battery to the point all the shrink wrap peeled off from such a tight fit, so i know what you mean.

if you guys get a chance, could you post a pic of the innards to your JB?

thx for your help. if the JB worked it wouldn't be bad. QC issues are a major flaw though.

OmahaVapor

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Omaha, NE
epoxy then? it's probably the same method to remove it? i can see solder inside the atty also. don't know if that's normal. i have the JB on the backporch now in the sun to see if it airs out. there is no mistaking the epoxy goop as the same 'flavor' after a week of running juice through it. it's a very strong chemical taste.

maybe the mixture was done by the JB slave and it didn't get the proportions right. I thought all those putty like things don't smell when they are dry. I looked up the MSDS on what i thought was jbweld and it says not to inhale it.

if it doesn't air out, i'll send it to my friend and let him play around with it and grind off the hardener.

i can blow out the blow hole and vapor comes out fine, so i don't think it's blocked. hard to say what the problem is. it's totally unvapeable though. I wonder if that's the mule tasting taste ppl have mentioned? if epoxy got inside the atty, then it's a lost cause. it looks like solder, but i don't know. i see silver solder, and some white stuff in there on the right side and then copper. if i can figure out how to macro on my camera i could get a shot down the atty opening.

worse comes to worse, i can put multi atty battery fittings and reverse hole juice up a factory atty. the box is big enough to do pretty much anything in there.

Ralph, i didn't have a problem putting the battery in there. popped right in. i have another box mod that hosed a 14550 battery to the point all the shrink wrap peeled off from such a tight fit, so i know what you mean.

if you guys get a chance, could you post a pic of the innards to your JB?

thx for your help. if the JB worked it wouldn't be bad. QC issues are a major flaw though.

I am having the same issue with the taste. There is TONS of vapor but the smell and taste of it is horrible to say the least. Im not sure what to do about it at all. I can see solder in the atty also. Im clueless on what to do. I have only had mine 2 days and im getting frustrated to say the least. I bought mine used off the classifieds but the previous owner has been answering alot of my questions but hes not sure what the taste is. It worked for him just fine. Ill let you know if I find anything out about it.

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
nope it never cured. i ran a ton of flavorful juice and then straight vg/pg. also ran everclear throught it. nothing got rid of the flavor. a whiff inside the box of the same smell told me it was never going away. i left it outside on the porch for 3 days and it still stunk.

it had multiple problems. with the juice bottle off it was a fog machine. screw it on and limited air flow. i've read of others having the same problem.

i just mailed it today to a friend that's going to dremel off the epoxy and play around with it to see if he can get rid of the smell/taste. i told him to keep it, and when the atty dies, we'll make a multi atty back hole juice feed box out of it. it's not bad as an 18650 battery box.

i reverse drip my commercial attys and it works well. only takes a drop on top and about 5 drops down the battery connector hole of the atty and you get tons of flavorful juice. i'm thinking reverse dripping any atty would produce good flavor. the new DIY mods are taking it to that level so i think it's something doable for all of us w/o the CJB.

the way i found out about reverse dripping was i thought i was filling a cartomizer one day up the battery end with a needle bottle and when it dripped out the cart on my hand, i realized i was reverse dripping my RN4075 atty lol. i figured what the hell and took a hit. OMG the vapor was fantastic and lasted quite a while.

that trick will revive seemingly spent attys too. if you try it, just be sure to drip a drop on the bridge of the atty or it will be too dry. all atties have mesh running down the cylinder of the atty in addition to the bridge, so it must be there for a reason and with carts it's an unused part of the design.

i do it with auto batteries, but recommend a sealed manual battery if you're afraid of hosing a battery.

it's a shame that the JB didn't succeed. good idea, but a total cluster f___ of problems.

only thing i can recommend for ppl with that nasty chem flavor/smell is to pull all the epoxy off of it and see if the smell is gone. or send it back to carlos and have him make it right.

i'll let you know how my friend makes out.

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
i'd just grind the jbweld off the hole with a dremel. dismantling it will only tell you that it works just like every other mod (except for the brass tube that feeds the atty), which is pos lead and ground wire to the atty.

yours looks totally different. mine def had too much epoxy. thx for the pic

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
nope it never cured. i ran a ton of flavorful juice and then straight vg/pg. also ran everclear throught it. nothing got rid of the flavor. a whiff inside the box of the same smell told me it was never going away. i left it outside on the porch for 3 days and it still stunk.

it had multiple problems. with the juice bottle off it was a fog machine. screw it on and limited air flow. i've read of others having the same problem.

i just mailed it today to a friend that's going to dremel off the epoxy and play around with it to see if he can get rid of the smell/taste. i told him to keep it, and when the atty dies, we'll make a multi atty back hole juice feed box out of it. it's not bad as an 18650 battery box.

i reverse drip my commercial attys and it works well. only takes a drop on top and about 5 drops down the battery connector hole of the atty and you get tons of flavorful juice. i'm thinking reverse dripping any atty would produce good flavor. the new DIY mods are taking it to that level so i think it's something doable for all of us w/o the CJB.

the way i found out about reverse dripping was i thought i was filling a cartomizer one day up the battery end with a needle bottle and when it dripped out the cart on my hand, i realized i was reverse dripping my RN4075 atty lol. i figured what the hell and took a hit. OMG the vapor was fantastic and lasted quite a while.

that trick will revive seemingly spent attys too. if you try it, just be sure to drip a drop on the bridge of the atty or it will be too dry. all atties have mesh running down the cylinder of the atty in addition to the bridge, so it must be there for a reason and with carts it's an unused part of the design.

i do it with auto batteries, but recommend a sealed manual battery if you're afraid of hosing a battery.

it's a shame that the JB didn't succeed. good idea, but a total cluster f___ of problems.

only thing i can recommend for ppl with that nasty chem flavor/smell is to pull all the epoxy off of it and see if the smell is gone. or send it back to carlos and have him make it right.

i'll let you know how my friend makes out.

FWIW, mine still tastes like ...! Nasty, toxic sort of epoxy flavor. Had for about 3 weeks, seems longer. I don't inhale this vape. Been trying to season it to no avail. Anyone know of a lab that does free toxicity testing? I would like to know what that taste/smell really is.

I would sell it, but it wouldn't be fair to the poor _astard that got stuck with it. I suspect I will just have to dissect it.

Is that poll still open? Disregard. It's closed. If I was voting today I would have gone with the last option. :( poll

Last edited:

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ralph, have you tried asking Carlos if the area radiating the smell/taste can be re-done; 're-epoxied' or welded or whatever is applicable? Seems like there must be something identifiable that is different about some of them on this count, unless it's possible that some ppl can detect the mystery substance much more than others.

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
JD, anyone, maybe you'll be the one/s: Not sure if I've ever heard a post-break-in period JB owner proceed to say "...so I just fill up the bottle, pop it in and vape uninterrupted for days!" lol. Hoping to hear a few such reports soon! Now, yes I have heard it referred to as a dripper; but like other things that vary wildly from owner to owner, what I wonder is, are there decent numbers of ppl ending up able to fill the bottle and use as advertised? Any such lucky dogs, please come back out of the woodwork and let us know! :)

However I realize it's also common for a good number of ppl to disappear fairly quickly from 'dedicated' discussions of a given mod after receiving theirs, even if they do like it. Especially if its sub-forum or ongoing thread is off the beaten track and not one of the THE ever-evolving Places To Be lol. So recent recipients, listen up!! No one is allowed to leave here without debriefing first on whether they ended up reaching the ultimate golden state!! ;)

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Ralph, have you tried asking Carlos if the area radiating the smell/taste can be re-done; 're-epoxied' or welded or whatever is applicable? Seems like there must be something identifiable that is different about some of them on this count, unless it's possible that some ppl can detect the mystery substance much more than others.

I haven't bothered Carlos because I'm guessing he's maxed out. I really should just stop complaining. Forgive me my whining. It's unproductive.

I have also wondered if some people might not be able to detect this odor (or got used to it). I think it was just a bad ratio of resin/hardener on the epoxy. I may send it to someone like Clyde. He is describing a completely different switch and then he could contrast and compare the two models.

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
I may send it to someone like Clyde. He is describing a completely different switch and then he could contrast and compare the two models.

I think of all you boys as my big brothers in juice boxing by now (awww), so after I have mine if I get stuck at some problem that can't be addressed via the total freakin mess of a copy-n-pasted tips document I've been compiling along the way; and isn't one of the typical malfunctions for which ppl return to Carlos... I may come cryin to my big bros to see if someone who's mastered that issue might have a looksee at mine! :p I would offer to pay something beyond return shipping for said 'helpful brother' service. :)

For those with bad taste why not pump the juice up. to remove the metal taste.
I never got any Epoxy or compound taste for constant testing I was doing.

Bad taste is lack of juice pump it up Or else take and drop a couple drops of good juice. Also there is no primer it is VG he uses.

I added couple tips in the tips thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread