Anybody have to do a nicotine test for Obama care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
I haven't been. They ask if you have smoked in the last 6 months, if you answer yes it cost more, the DW is costing us about $300 a month more because she can't quit and won't try vaping. But I am thinking that if there is a problem that might be smoke related, that they might test then. I just answered honestly then they asked, "Do You Use tobacco", No I do Not. :)

Reactions: Katmar

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
I haven't been. They ask if you have smoked in the last 6 months, if you answer yes it cost more, the DW is costing us about $300 a month more because she can't quit and won't try vaping. But I am thinking that if there is a problem that might be smoke related, that they might test then. I just answered honestly then they asked, "Do You Use Tobacco", No I do Not. :)

You can also answer 'NO" if the question is "Do you smoke?"

Reactions: Burnie

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
So far it looks promising. When we were considering the insurance switch I had recalled past postings here about insurance companies doing blood tests for nicotine, but since some of the postings were dated I wasn't sure if they were applicable to the new Obamacare and its guidelines. I realize that multiple insurance companies are involved in this, but I was interested in a general consensus of whether or not tests were given. After all my years vaping I would hate to be classed as a smoker now. Thanks everyone for your posting, much appreciated !

afihigh019

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
San Francisco
As of 2014 with Obamacare, Pre-Existing Conditions no longer affect eligibility, or the cost of health insurance. You could have the worst illness imaginable and still be approved with the same premiums as a completely healthy person in your same age/income bracket. Just be sure to enroll within the open-enrollment period.

You could smoke 2 packs and drink a gallon of Scotch a day and have no issue getting health coverage. :p

https://www.healthcare.gov/health-care-law-protections/pre-existing-conditions/

Supposedly the federal subsidy is going to be ending in 2016, so the lower-cost plans depending on income may no longer be around. But they said that last year as well... Who knows!

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
True, true except when it comes to smoking. Unfortunately under Obamacare smoking is not considered a pre-existing condition. Although smokers can't be denied coverage, they can be accessed a surcharge on their premiums by companies up to 50%.

http://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-smokers/

Reactions: Burnie

afihigh019

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
San Francisco
Oh wow, didn't know that. Well, I signed up through California's health exchange website and there weren't even any questions about smoking, only a general question asking if I have any health issues. No nicotine tests required from the insurance company.

A friend of mine who is a smoker also signed up through Obamacare and I don't think he had to be tested, or had any rate increases. Hope this helps a bit.

PeterLi

Jun 18, 2014
Indiana, USA
We're looking at switching over to Obama care in the next sign up round and was wondering if companies will require a nicotine test since were are ex-smokers ?

I just got health care through Obamacare, and I didn't have to do any nicotine test.

They did ask if I smoke, though. I said, no, but I do get nicotine via a e-cigarette. Not sure if I should have clarified that like I did. I mean, I don't smoke anymore, and maybe should have just left it at that.

Btw, that was the only health- or life-style-related question I was asked.

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
I just got health care through Obamacare, and I didn't have to do any nicotine test.

They did ask if I smoke, though. I said, no, but I do get nicotine via a e-cigarette. Not sure if I should have clarified that like I did. I mean, I don't smoke anymore, and maybe should have just left it at that.

Btw, that was the only health- or life-style-related question I was asked.

Thanks for posting your experience. Most helpful. I'm glad to hear no additional testing even though you volunteered your e-cig usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread