Anybody Using A Kabuki?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Flyover Central
Just an FYI for rebuilding the coil heads - fasttech has Kabuki 510 bases (SKU 3888502) for $4.11 each with free shipping - great for sitting on the Coil Master to hold the build in place ...

Interesting. I've seen various people swearing that you can trust fasttech to always be clear as to original vs counterfeit (OK, clone if you must). This listing doesn't mention "styled like" at all that I can see. I guarantee you that Zen's material cost for this item is many times more that what is being charged here.

Yes, I know it's a debate that never will be settled, but I consider people who copy others' merchandise as thieves.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Interesting. I've seen various people swearing that you can trust fasttech to always be clear as to original vs counterfeit (OK, clone if you must). This listing doesn't mention "styled like" at all that I can see. I guarantee you that Zen's material cost for this item is many times more that what is being charged here.

Yes, I know it's a debate that never will be settled, but I consider people who copy others' merchandise as thieves.
The way the Fasstek Kabuki is advertised and packaged makes it a true counterfeit in my mind. They even printed made in USA on the box:facepalm:

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I don't mind clones as they let people try a like product without dropping $100-200. Also, some people can't afford the expense of an authentic.

I DO mind the addition of logos, manufacturer names and duplicate packaging. That is slimy.

A "styled like..." product is different than a blatant clone IMO.

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Flyover Central
I don't mind clones as they let people try a like product without dropping $100-200. Also, some people can't afford the expense of an authentic.

I DO mind the addition of logos, manufacturer names and duplicate packaging. That is slimy.

A "styled like..." product is different than a blatant clone IMO.

I have to respectfully disagree, especially in this case. Most clone makers are only interested in making things look correct. So you get a clone with different (inferior?) materals, close but not exact dimensions, janky hardware, cheap out of spec glass, and o-rings made of who knows what - all of it made under conditions not regulated by anyone other than the money grabbing owner. You sure you're not getting lead or other heavy metals in the materials? What chemicals were used in the composition of the o-rings? I could go on and on to the point of ridiculousness. But the truth is that you still don't have any idea of how the original works since you're assuming that the counterfeit is 100.00% identical in every way. All you know is how a cheap copy works instead of an item that was produced with the highest quality possible - which drives the cost. And I'm not directing this at you, BreSha, but rather a generic clone customer.

I often see the justification "yeah, well, they're made on the same line as the authentic ones". No way in this situation.

I just can't understand why someone smart enough to invent something really good shouldn't be able to benefit from brainpower and investment made in producing the item, and why others who have done nothing worth doing are allowed to profit.

Say you've spent a considerable amount of time coming up with a revolutionary new guitar pickup. You've spent hours that you could have been doing something else, and invested your hard earned money into getting the thing produced. It becomes an immediate sensation and guitar players all over the world want to buy one from you.

Then a week later, you see a copy coming from China at a quarter of what it costs you to produce one. It pretty much looks the same, but the electronics and housing materials are unknown. I buy one and tell you "It's just the same. You're asking too much. I want to see if I like it before I think about buying one of yours".

So honestly, that wouldn't bother you?

And as I read back over this, I apologize for spamming with a lengthy tirade over something that will never be settled.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I have to respectfully disagree, especially in this case. Most clone makers are only interested in making things look correct. So you get a clone with different (inferior?) materals, close but not exact dimensions, janky hardware, cheap out of spec glass, and o-rings made of who knows what - all of it made under conditions not regulated by anyone other than the money grabbing owner. You sure you're not getting lead or other heavy metals in the materials? What chemicals were used in the composition of the o-rings? I could go on and on to the point of ridiculousness. But the truth is that you still don't have any idea of how the original works since you're assuming that the counterfeit is 100.00% identical in every way. All you know is how a cheap copy works instead of an item that was produced with the highest quality possible - which drives the cost. And I'm not directing this at you, BreSha, but rather a generic clone customer.

I often see the justification "yeah, well, they're made on the same line as the authentic ones". No way in this situation.

I just can't understand why someone smart enough to invent something really good shouldn't be able to benefit from brainpower and investment made in producing the item, and why others who have done nothing worth doing are allowed to profit.

Say you've spent a considerable amount of time coming up with a revolutionary new guitar pickup. You've spent hours that you could have been doing something else, and invested your hard earned money into getting the thing produced. It becomes an immediate sensation and guitar players all over the world want to buy one from you.

Then a week later, you see a copy coming from China at a quarter of what it costs you to produce one. It pretty much looks the same, but the electronics and housing materials are unknown. I buy one and tell you "It's just the same. You're asking too much. I want to see if I like it before I think about buying one of yours".

And as I read back over this, I apologize for spamming with a lengthy tirade over something that will never be settled.
You make some good points, but I personally don't see a problem if someone uses a fake Kabuki or Kayfun for financial reasons or to try dripping, building a coil for the first time, etc. China clones basically everything anyways and a UD or Tobeco labelled appropriately is much more ethical IMO than blatent trademark infringing products like fake guitars, purses, watches and so on....

I personally own authentic everything except a pair of Velocity Mini RDAs, and there really isn't an authentic version anyways.

We can agree to disagree in any case.

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
North of Detroit, way south of Heaven

I'm not sure it should be illegal but shame on the those that buy fakes. If you can't afford the real thing - save. IMHO BTW, not trying to be judgmental ("Every man should do his own thing in his own time" - Peter Fonda in, "Easy Rider" circa 1969), but I guess I am to some extent. I don't dislike my fellow vapers that undermine the real ones. You get what you pay for. Besides, I'm sure I participate in activities others don't agree with. Just my OPINION...

gin828

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
PA, USA
I bought one cheap clone since I have been cigarette free and thats been late 2012. It was a total waste of money. I always try to buy American made when possible. In 2013 I wanted an American made mod and I didn't care what it cost. I had narrowed it down to 2 choices, HoH and Provape were my top choices and I drove the four hours to HoH.....and the rest is in the signature line at the bottom of this post.

I dont support clones, because at the end of the day, its about money...... My money spent at original manufacturers does a lot of things. It helps pay for innovation and it helps for the fight against the FDA. The cloners dont care, they will just make some other junk product.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
So I got my Kabuki re-build coil in today, and this was the hardest thing to build I have come across. It's really tight in there and those screws really should have been socket head, and perhaps a bit larger. That said, I could not for the life of me feed the upper leg threaded through the hole in a horizontal coil orientation. First build...fail.

Second build, I wound a 29 ga. coil on a 3/32" bit, and left the legs very long. Then mounted that coil in a dripper, leaving about 3/8" or so to the posts, and pulse fired the coil till it was tuned and glowing from the center out.

Now the fun part, I had the legs 180 degrees and cut the bottom one prety short and eyeballed how far out the mounting hole was from the airhole in the deck, and made a 90 degree bend down, that is, while looking at the coil like it is going to be a BVC coil.

After some fine tuning I had that leg trimmed so if I used a shaft to align the coil with the airhole, the 90 degree bend went right into the capture hole. Next I trimmed the top leg so that it was just long enough to exit the threaded part that the hole passes through, and after three or four tries managed to get the coil into position as a BVC coil, locked it all down and checked resistance, 2.0Ω

NOW is where I took a slightly smaller drill bit, and put it into the center of the coil, and literally bent the coil with the drill bit as a lever, over to the horizontal orientation that I wanted, 90 degrees from where it originally sat. With some needle point tweezers and the drill bit still in the coil, I then muscled the legs so nothing was crossed or shorted, then moved the shaft back and forth to relieve stress in the coil, and adjusted coil height over the air hole.

First wick went well, but I got a terrible taste from the factory residue, so an Isopro 99 soak for a few hours. It took two tries to wick the now clean deck, first one was too loose and I got flooding. Second wicking I used what appeared to be slightly too much wick, trimmed it at the edge of the deck for reference and stuffed it into the respective channels. No flooding, great vapor production, awesome flavor, pretty much identical to my 91%ers, except the Kabuki has much better airflow.

This will be fun to play with, and perhaps with time the builds will come more naturally. The 29 ga. wire should hold up for months so really I should only need to build it a couple times a year.

Sorry no pics, my computer crashed a while back and I had to get it wiped and windows seven installed, so I lost my photo editor, that, and it would really be difficult to document all this with pics...

just wanted to tag @HBcorpse

Oh I can't wait to try doing this, ENAUD................................. :facepalm:

You are a magician, kiddo. I can't even imagine your stamina and determination to make that coil!!!!!!

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
Oh I can't wait to try doing this, ENAUD................................. :facepalm:

You are a magician, kiddo. I can't even imagine your stamina and determination to make that coil!!!!!!
We are going to look into that for Jackie, she likes rebuilding. She's out of town tonight and then we will be having 4 of her grandkids for a couple of daze so it will be a minute before we look more into it.

Yeah, thanks for the report, ENAUD!

Reactions: AstroTurf

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013

We are going to look into that for Jackie, she likes rebuilding. She's out of town tonight and then we will be having 4 of her grandkids for a couple of daze so it will be a minute before we look more into it.

Yeah, thanks for the report, ENAUD!
Keep in mindthat this was a new to me build and I was sharing my thoughts off the cuff so to speak, once built, a coil properly maintained can last for months or longer, so a little frustration can yield great rewards. So far the Kabuki with the re-build deck has performed extremely well. I am very pleased with it. Still on my original wick with several re-fills. And re-wicking will be a breeze, a walk in the park. I am liking it way better than the Nauti coils, which are pretty darn good, but I get more vapor, better flavor, and that nice snap crackely pop vape from the coil that I built. I was on the fence before, but I just might go ahead and order a couple more of these re-build decks just to have them...

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
Keep in mindthat this was a new to me build and I was sharing my thoughts off the cuff so to speak, once built, a coil properly maintained can last for months or longer, so a little frustration can yield great rewards. So far the Kabuki with the re-build deck has performed extremely well. I am very pleased with it. Still on my original wick with several re-fills. And re-wicking will be a breeze, a walk in the park. I am liking it way better than the Nauti coils, which are pretty darn good, but I get more vapor, better flavor, and that nice snap crackely pop vape from the coil that I built. I was on the fence before, but I just might go ahead and order a couple more of these re-build decks just to have them...
No kidding...? Hmm. Gee, that kind of a report could make a difference. I know Jackie seemed interested when I first mentioned it to her but haven't shown her the pics or video yet. I'm sure this may just push it over.

You know, I was thinking, if this gets popular, how long it will be until Aspire catches on and manufactures their own. They have until 08Aug...

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
No kidding...? Hmm. Gee, that kind of a report could make a difference. I know Jackie seemed interested when I first mentioned it to her but haven't shown her the pics or video yet. I'm sure this may just push it over.

You know, I was thinking, if this gets popular, how long it will be until Aspire catches on and manufactures their own. They have until 08Aug...
Actually , they have as long as they need. we keep forgetting that the US of A is only one piece of the puzzle. Vape things are not going to vanish or stop progressing because a backwards thinking backwater country like the US of A thinks they can deem them away, that is not how things work:D Things will progress and go onward, and we, the sheeple of the US of A will be ultimately seen as either prisoners of an oppressive overlord state, or if we don't act, as the really dumb'd down idiots that we are...

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
Actually , they have as long as they need. we keep forgetting that the US of A is only one piece of the puzzle. Vape things are not going to vanish or stop progressing because a backwards thinking backwater country like the US of A thinks they can deem them away, that is not how things work:D Things will progress and go onward, and we, the sheeple of the US of A will be ultimately seen as either prisoners of an oppressive overlord state, or if we don't act, as the really dumb'd down idiots that we are...
I have this funny feeling things will be ok. Sure, it's not going to be the vaping utopia it is now, but I am, albeit maybe overly optimistic, it will be ok...

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
I have this funny feeling things will be ok. Sure, it's not going to be the vaping utopia it is now, but I am, albeit maybe overly optimistic, it will be ok...
I have recently had to keep reminding myself that things will be OK. Actually, I could go five years or more this second and not need for a thing. I have been preparing for these times for two years now...in five years I will be 60 years old...I have seen many changes in our country in my lifetime. I am a veteran, sworn to protect the constitution of our great democracy, an oath I will defend till my dying breath. It seems today that the wolves are guarding the hen house. This cannot be tolerated if our children have any hope of a free and successful future. Change will not come from niceties, if a bully shoves you, it is best to punch him squarely in the nose and be done with it. Playing nice with a bully never works out. The FDA is acting as a government bully right now, and they need a good punch in the mouth to set them strait...

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
I have recently had to keep reminding myself that things will be OK. Actually, I could go five years or more this second and not need for a thing. I have been preparing for these times for two years now...in five years I will be 60 years old...I have seen many changes in our country in my lifetime. I am a veteran, sworn to protect the constitution of our great democracy, an oath I will defend till my dying breath. It seems today that the wolves are guarding the hen house. This cannot be tolerated if our children have any hope of a free and successful future. Change will not come from niceties, if a bully shoves you, it is best to punch him squarely in the nose and be done with it. Playing nice with a bully never works out. The FDA is acting as a government bully right now, and they need a good punch in the mouth to set them strait...
Yeah, I didn't re-up in the mid 90's for the same reason I joined...

Remember the 90's and how close we came? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread