DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
For you guys suffering a burnt taste with nautilus coils:

Try unscrewing the top of the tank a few turns until you see an air bubble rise through your liquid - this releases the low pressure build up in the tank, which causes the coil to start to go drier - resulting in loss of flavour and leading to a dry hit

The nautilus coils all do this, some juices will taste it sooner than others, especially the cleaner citrus ones.

It is caused by excess packing of cotton to stop the coils from flooding. The cotton is there to wick the juice to the coil, but ALSO to act as slow leak valve, so the tank pressure can be re-established once the juice starts to get used up

All (or certainly most) tanks work on a pressure difference - when you vape you draw air through teh airflow holes up under the coil to your mouth. This faster moving air creates low pressure under the coil, so the higher tank pressure flows juice to the wick and coil - When you stop vaping the atmospheric pressure returns under the coil and the wick should allow a bubble or 2 to escape back INTO the tank - ready for the next vape

As the cotton gets carbonised this seal gets blocked, so low pressure (vacuum) remains inside the tank - and eventually stops the flow of juice to the coil.

Either just open the the tank to release the vacuum

OR

Do a couple of very strong dry pulls - cover the airflow and flutter your finger while sucking hard on your drip-tip - all without firing the mod.

This dry pull or primmer puff, gets very strong low pressure under the coil, so when stopping the difference is established and the tank auto releases the vacuum.

Most of you are probably throwing away perfectly good coils

I like the 1.8ohm Claptons and the Ni200 temp coils. I run the Claptons around 18-20 watts

If this works, I will FIND you - JUST to give you a Hi-Five.

schismz

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
There are so many variables that may cause a coil to go bad sooner than later — high VG, sweeteners and sweet flavors, NETs, certain dark eliquids, etc., etc. I have been using the Kabuki for over a year and the Nautilus coils well since the Nautilus tank came out. Never had a burnt coil. The flavor will eventually drop but never a burnt taste. Although the Nautilus coils were not designed for high VG eliquids, I have used 70%+ VG in the Kabuki and it vapes just fine however the coils do not last long and loses flavor but again no burnt taste. It is possible I change my coil before it gets to the burnt taste. I do take unpowered puffs to ensure it is wicking especially with high VG.
I have a lot of Kabuki tanks at this point, I think I'm at either 7 or 8; they pair pretty well with ProVari tube mods (although interestingly enough, the ProVari's are 23mm, the Kabuki is 22mm, leaving an overhang. I forgot this existed until attaching Kabuki to Dicodes tubes which fit perfectly flush).

In my opinion it does improve flavor over the standard Nautilus tanks, and I obviously liked it enough to keep buying them.

Would I buy another one now? Probably not, due to the deeming in the US, I'm loaded up on rebuildables, and while some people claim "better than Kayfun flavor!" for the Kabuki, this has not ever been my personal experience. The difference of course is trading off lots of fiddling (until you get the hang of it), vs. convenience with pre-made coils.

At the end of the day: I love the Kabuki tanks for traveling, because I'm just not one of those people who is going to drag around all the stuff I need for rebuilding with me.

I guess I'm at: I don't regret buying the Kabuki tanks that I have; I'm fine with how they vape, but wouldn't buy more of them at this stage in the game.

Having said that, I get weeks off a coil when using DIY (pretty light/clear juice), or something like Halo's original lineup -- these are all pretty clean. When I put a "modern" MaxVG juice through the Kabuki, let's say something by Milkman (whose flavors I happen to like), I'll get 2 tanks before it's not working correctly anymore, 3 and I have to replace the coil. IT'S THE JUICE (in my case). MaxVG and very heavy dark-colored juices, tend to do better on rebuildables or drippers, they're not designed for nautilus coils @ 8 watts.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
How COULD we be so absorbed to have missed wishing Zen a HAPPY 7TH V-VERSE?!?!? We should be ashamed...

With just a touch of kreativity, combined with some "foolishness" on hand, allow us to be the first to acknowledge this most significant accomplishment.

Happy Seven, @Zen~ . ;)

Zen7.jpg

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
I go away for a few days and they start lettin' pretty much anyone in here. What brings you to this side of the tracks, Mr, M/LLB? Nice to see you, regardless...

Regarding the Kabuki experience, my recommendation (completely unrelated to LLB) is that when the JUMA speaks, listen. He's the veritable E.F. Hutton of all things Provi & Kabuki. ;)

Well, I HAVE mostly gone over to the dark side of Hammered, Stapled, Shingled, Fused, Nitrous Oxide RDA's but I DO still own a half dozen Pro-vee's, and STILL use 510 atty's for juice testing, so I figure I can wander most ANYwhere and find something of interest. :)

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Well, I HAVE mostly gone over to the dark side of Hammered, Stapled, Shingled, Fused, Nitrous Oxide RDA's but I DO still own a half dozen Pro-vee's, and STILL use 510 atty's for juice testing, so I figure I can wander most ANYwhere and find something of interest. :)

You know I bust. Just surprised me is all.

;)

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
So, I am happy to report that I finally received my 3 replacement Kabuki tanks from IBTanked. I ordered them July 9th! Considering that IBTanked has since closed up shop, I feel privileged to get one of their last orders shipped out. They were packaged very nicely in separate little plastic jars. I only wish I had ordered a few more.

JUMA55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Waco, TX
You say it's not the juice, but I'd like to ask you what the PG/VG ratio is? If you are running Max VG you might try a couple drops if distilled water water in a tank with your next fill.

Enaud's advice is great. Most of my juice is 50/50. But I have two that I vape a lot that are 65~70VG. I do add one drop of distilled water at each fill.

Both of these two liquids and my ADV are dark. After several fills the liquid tends to get dark and nasty looking even though the taste is good. It might have dropped a bit in flavor, but it's not burnt. At that point I used to toss the coil, wash the tank and start over. With the blanking FDA and its evil regs, I figure I should get everything out of each coil and tank of liquid. So at the nasty looking stage I add a couple of drops of distilled water and shake like hell for about 30 seconds. Works great.

One other thing I do is after each fill--or almost each--I run a SOFT pipe cleaner down the drip tip to the top of the screen and just let it sit there for a second and absorb any old juice. Do it very gently or you'll damage the screen. Then as you pull the cleaner out, you can rub hard (no ugly comments DP) and dry out the chimney and tip.

JUMA55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Waco, TX
I go away for a few days and they start lettin' pretty much anyone in here. What brings you to this side of the tracks, Mr, M/LLB? Nice to see you, regardless...

Regarding the Kabuki experience, my recommendation (completely unrelated to LLB) is that when the JUMA speaks, listen. He's the veritable E.F. Hutton of all things Provi & Kabuki. ;)

DP, thank you. I don't think I've shown any great expertise, only spendthrift qualities.

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Awww, ain'tchu sweet. So, is a Kabuki in your future?

I've thought about obtaining one for the Mrs. to try. Once I forgive her for falling back after 4 years of vaping to dual use. WTH is that about?!? As hard as I work for advocating, PIF'ing... I don't get it? Not JUDGING per se, but I am a little.. sad.

Katdarling

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
I've thought about obtaining one for the Mrs. to try. Once I forgive her for falling back after 4 years of vaping to dual use. WTH is that about?!? As hard as I work for advocating, PIF'ing... I don't get it? Not JUDGING per se, but I am a little.. sad.

Understandably, LouLeBow. But I know that YOU know that you can not do anything more than you have. I do hope she makes a return to the vape.

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
These are all great suggestions. I've always thought that one should treat a coil like a woman... proceed slowly and sweetly, and she will love you long time.

So I shouldn't ask her to jump on my big 10 inch...Procyon with full size Nautilus tank?

Really? This got ONE like from all you 40+ adults?
Big 10 inch?????
AEROSMITH??? Anyone?

Sheesh! Maybe the mic isn't on!
I just heard Steven Tyler's palm hit his face.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Big 10 inch?????
AEROSMITH??? Anyone?

I got, HB. But I also remember the day that album dropped. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Katdarling

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Big 10 inch?????
AEROSMITH??? Anyone?

We LIKE you, we really, really, really LIKE you! :lol:

upload_2016-8-31_19-37-45.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread