anyone else have shortness of breath?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsmyyear

Jan 3, 2010
Buffalo
I have asthma and notice when I chain-vape for long periods of time, my chest gets tight and I have to use my inhaler. I use PG-based juice, and I have read that it can be irritating to the lungs. I haven't yet tried VG liquids yet. Its annoying sometimes...but not enough to stop! Hope you find what's causing it...hope its not the vaping, but maybe try VG if you are using PG?

jdw650

Dec 29, 2009
Sacramento, CA
I have noticed it. It kinda worries me. I love vaping and have been doing it for about a month now. Im completely analog free with no desire to go back. But i dont want to give up vaping. Ive been using pg based liquid mainly. the symtoms started after i switched to a mix of 70pg/20vg/10 water. The thing is I thought it was my lungs clearing up. I can breath much deeper now. but I reach a point in my inhale where i have to inhale harder to get a satisfying breath. Axl, let us know what your test results are.

bobtow

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2009
Wallaceburg ON. Canada
I notice shortness of breath with eliquid mixed VG. No problems until I bought some from Totally wicked. After examining the label found the have a mixture of PG and VG. I thinned it down with PG, and the breathing went down to normal. Maybe if you find your eliquid is made with pure PG you can try glycerine to thin it down.

bobtow

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2009
Wallaceburg ON. Canada
I have noticed it. It kinda worries me. I love vaping and have been doing it for about a month now. Im completely analog free with no desire to go back. But i dont want to give up vaping. Ive been using pg based liquid mainly. the symtoms started after i switched to a mix of 70pg/20vg/10 water. The thing is I thought it was my lungs clearing up. I can breath much deeper now. but I reach a point in my inhale where i have to inhale harder to get a satisfying breath. Axl, let us know what your test results are.
That's what happened to me .Go back to totally PG. Your feel better.

beckah54

Dog Lover!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
Ohio
I have been vaping seven months with no problems until lately.

For the past two or three weeks, inhaling vapor sends me into a coughing fit. Some days, I can't inhale the vapor at all without coughing up a lung. Sometimes, it feels like my throat is closing up and I have trouble getting enough air. I can hear myself wheezing. I am using 0, 6, or 11 mg nic liquid.

I do have inhalers and have started using them again after not needing them for six months.

It happens with PG or VG, so I'm not sure what is causing the sensitivity to the vapor but I have cut back a lot on vaping. I think it could be the flavoring in some liquids I purchased from a vendor I hadn't tried before.

I'm going to stick with one flavor at a time to determine if one specific liquid is causing the reaction, or if it is a build up of PG or VG.

Anyone one else have similar symptoms?

stormy1

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2009
IL USA
I have been vaping seven months with no problems until lately.

For the past two or three weeks, inhaling vapor sends me into a coughing fit. Some days, I can't inhale the vapor at all without coughing up a lung. Sometimes, it feels like my throat is closing up and I have trouble getting enough air. I can hear myself wheezing. I am using 0, 6, or 11 mg nic liquid.

I do have inhalers and have started using them again after not needing them for six months.

It happens with PG or VG, so I'm not sure what is causing the sensitivity to the vapor but I have cut back a lot on vaping. I think it could be the flavoring in some liquids I purchased from a vendor I hadn't tried before.

I'm going to stick with one flavor at a time to determine if one specific liquid is causing the reaction, or if it is a build up of PG or VG.

Anyone one else have similar symptoms?

try no flavor
I had something similar happen when I tried a flavor I'm allergic to.
It was apple/cinnamon that about killed me.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
AFter my dad, a smoker for 40 or 50 years, gave up smoking he suddenly got the breathlessness which he never had WHILE smoking. He gave uup for health reasons and his lungs were pretty much shot tho he didnt know it. He had early emphesema which hadnt made itself known until after he gave up smoking either.
He didn't use any kind of PV/patch/nic gum either.
Maybe its that for you too - I don't mean to say you have emphesema but that smoking may have masked something else going on which is only now making itself known as your lungs are finally working properly again.
It may be something easy to sort out like pneumonia which my friend got not long after giving up smoking (and np PV for her either but she DID use the patch)
FYI - anti-bios the doc gave her sorted her out in no time, like a week or so, and she's fine now.

eGeek

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
UK
I also suffered from asthma type wheezing and shortness of breath. My doc gave me an asthma inhaler for a few months until it started clearing up. He also advised that after ceasing smoking it can take up to three years for the lungs to totally clear of the tar based deposits, and that's independent of any damage that may have occurred through smoking for so long, in my case about thirty years.

Using a ecig is certainly an easy and revolutionary way to quit smoking but I think I was a little naive thinking, or rather not thinking as a smoker (look up cognitive dissonance), that I could walk away after abusing and poisoning my body for so long with no ill effects or any long term damage done.

Hopefully all these symptoms will be transitory or a temporary reactions to some of the ingredients in the liquid but it is worth preparing to face that it's not. Nevertheless it is still far a whole world away from the alternative, to still be smoking and remaining at much higher risk to far worse things.

Last edited:

SikVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2010
Cali
I do, after three months of vaping. On cigs I never had this problem in the 12 years I smoked. Vaping 3 months and now I am having trouble breathing. The first few months were fine, symptoms just started last week. I am getting a lung function test done next week.
Anyone else have this issue??

I recognize you from the V4L subforum, sorry to hear about this. Keep us posted about the lung function test and what you find out about this situation. Good luck.

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
That's what happened to me .Go back to totally PG. Your feel better.

I've been wondering about this myself lately. I have some seriously wierd allergic reactions sometimes (hives on my left leg from the use of antibiotic eye drops ... try explaining that to a nurse!! :lol:) and was concerned about a reaction to PG when I first started vaping. I feel short of breath and wheeze a bit when I use my VG-based juice for too long ... switch to PG-based juice and I'm good to go again.

Go figure.
Jan

River

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2009
Independence, KY USA
This is a toughie... it's a product that in most cases improves lung function so what could be going on?
hmmmmm....

ok... got it,

Here is your answer.

Occam's razor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No offense to any of the posters and please if you think there is any sort of problem your first reaction should be to go to the doctor and get yourself checked out. buuuuuuuut...

Out of 205 views for this topic it is inevitable that a certain percentage will be hypochondriacs.

Elementary my dear Watson.

hmmmm, I never know whether or not to just shut up and let people think what they want or try to provide some real insight even though most times people don't really want the real insight.

This was probably one of those times i should just stay quiet.

Anyway once again i have to stress, if you think there is the slightest problem then please go get yourself checked out by a professional.

The last thing this industry needs is for one of you folks to drop dead.

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
Out of 205 views for this topic it is inevitable that a certain percentage will be hypochondriacs.

Elementary my dear Watson.

hmmmm, I never know whether or not to just shut up and let people think what they want or try to provide some real insight even though most times people don't really want the real insight.

And the insight you're trying to provide here is ... ???

This was probably one of those times i should just stay quiet.

Anyway once again i have to stress, if you think there is the slightest problem then please go get yourself checked out by a professional.

The last thing this industry needs is for one of you folks to drop dead.
That I can agree with ... but the vast majority of us started vaping in attempt to remove most of the health hazard of our habit so we need to remember that most of us are going to have some changes, both good and bad, to the state of our health ... because we've removed a basic, health-affecting constant from our lives and replaced it with something else. Of course things are going to be different.

Not trying to pick a fight here but suggesting that any of us that shared our experiences are hypochondriacs because of the manner in which our systems work is quite offensive, imho.

Jan

W Axl Rose

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Iowa
Of course what River said was offensive, but I understand. I didn't want to believe that vaping (my SAVIOR from analogs) was causing me more problems than analogs ever had. I can't ignore my symptoms though, and they are not good. I'm in good company, several veteran vapers are experiencing issues.
The good news is that as much as I loved vaping, I was able to walk away from it relatively easily.
As info, I was vaping 4-8 mg flavored PG. When I tried liquid from another vendor is when the problem got ALOT worse. But it had been there before that, just milder.
With the info on popcorn lung out there, I am simply afraid to vape flavors anymore. Without flavors there is no point for me, so I quit.
ANyone wanna buy a buttload of stuff????

Reactions: thetrucker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread