Anyone ever look at you like you're smoking something else?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Muggs, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Muggs

Muggs Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I was at a stop light, took a good size pull off the tank. I look to the right and this lady is staring at me like I'm doing something wrong. She says you're lucky I don't call the cops about that then rolled her window up and waited for the green.

I'm guessing she thought the ego and tank setup was for {SOMETHING ELSE} haha. Every happen to you guys?

2. Criticalmass

Criticalmass Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

not yet. to date, nobody i have encountered has given it a second glance.

3. Huckleberried

Huckleberried Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Not so far. But, I kinda stopped caring what other people think about that to a degree. If I have the chance to inform, I do. If I don't have the opportunity, what a stranger thinks doesn't usually affect me. I work next door to a police station. The first time I walked across the parking lot with all the uniforms, I felt nervous. I don't know why. But they kept walking along, nodding, etc... I have nothing to hide :)

4. GetVaked

GetVaked Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Most people don't even ask or care from my personal experience.

5. ITPython

ITPython Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Yeah, as I mentioned in another thread a few days ago, using ecigs is generally going to seem like one of two things to those not familiar with them.

1. If it looks like a cigarette, then you will be treated like you are the scum of the earth because it looks like you are smoking a cig.
    2. If it doesn't look like a cig, people will likely think you are smoking {SOMETHING ELSE}.

Socially, it's not easy being a vaper. As I would guess that less than 1% who see you vape would ever think it was a harmless ecig. Will be nice if the day ever comes where the majority of people recognize them for what they are and celebrate it, rather than equating us to a cig smoker or a drug user.

6. Ld3441

Ld3441 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Just about everyday on my way home from work. LOL
    I get the "looks" but haven't encountered anyone saying anything yet. It doesn't bother me at all and if someone does say something perhaps I can educate them. I was pulled over a week or so ago for a head light that was out. The cop shined his flashlight on my Evod but didn't say anything. I was waiting for it! Now I carry my MVP2 so who knows what will happen next...

7. Silent Scream

Silent Scream Super Member ECF Veteran

Yeah it's happened to me. I usually adopt a gangster pose and take an extra long draw then look them in the eye whatchagonnadoaboudit.

8. DetraMental

DetraMental Vaping Master ECF Veteran

I have yet had the honor of educating an individual or group to the wonders of vaping. I'm sure it's just a matter of time, it'll happen. Until then....:vapor:

9. Silent Scream

It's kind of weird isn't it? Since I started vaping I expected to bump into or at least take notice of vapes all the time. Nada.

10. cap269

cap269 Full Member Verified Member

Not yet for me either with threats or distasteful looks. I am a CASAA member, though, and they have some nice educational 'business cards' available. I keep a few in my pocket just in case I have the opportunity to inform someone. I did have a coworker that was intrigued, though. I let her sample my vape, and now she is also an ex-smoker. Please take the opportunities to explain, and perhaps share, whenever possible. (You can get cheap disposable 'friend tips' (germ guards) for your tips if you are concerned when potentially sharing a taste).

11. 2highcal

2highcal Full Member Verified Member

Yes even the wife sometimes feels like she is doing something else..........In about ten more years for me :(

12. Big Jimmy

Big Jimmy Full Member

Had 2 diehard nonsmokers try to treat me like a smoker today...was outside at my favorite establishment (owner will not let me vape inside, no big deal.)

They started in to complain to me and their waiter....I kept my cool and said 3 things that shut them up.

1. The wind is blowing my vape a way from you.
    2. The patio is the designated "smoking area".
    3. I pretty much pay the light bill here and you are here for your 2nd time (overheard amount of visit's part).

To wrap it up.....I was polite, reserved & did not truely speak my mind to the JW's! As far as other substance stuff goes, not yet. Had 1 local police officer ask me a ton of questions on where to buy my basic setup! (He is a convert to the vape side now!)

Jim

13. Silent Scream

Dude no offense but those kind of responses are exactly what these clowns want to hear to re-inforce their view that vaping IS smoking.

Tell them what they deserve to hear... nothing. Let the people who own the establishment explain it to them and/or ban their asses because they're too much hassle. Let them be the problem, not you.

14. Muggs

Muggs Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

It's good to see I'm not the only one. I'm hoping getting pulled over isn't next haha.

15. Neena

Neena Guest

Yeah my husband's boss lol! We were at an outdoor concert with a group from his company and his boss kept looking at me. I told him what it was, and he laughed and said it looked like {SOMETHING ELSE}. Now every time I see him he asks if I have {THAT SOMETHING ELSE} with me.

16. Jazzi Mike

Jazzi Mike Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

This happens to me very often. I guess it is because I look cool and because of my age (27). When people ask me and I tell them it is an ecig, I usually get a few things:

1. Why wouldn't you just smoke a cigarette?

2. Dude, but can't you just use (something else) in it? Then they ask me all kinds of things about how they could do it and have no smell, etc...

I think I am just gonna start telling people that I do it because I am an undercover cop trying to find drug users.

17. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    This has never happened to me in my car. Happened once with a neighbor in my garage when I took a drag on my K100 and AGA-T, which was great because I could explain it all to him :thumb:

18. Peppie

Peppie Super Member ECF Veteran

I have not yet had anybody show any concern to what I am sucking on, let alone what is inside my device.

Being from the great state of Washington it REALLY DONT MATTER if it were SOMETHING ELSE.

19. cmdebrecht

cmdebrecht Super Member ECF Veteran

Yep. People look at me like I'm doing something highly illegal. Usually it's when I am driving, so I really don't have a chance to talk with them.

20. EvilZoe

EvilZoe Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I've only had people come up to me and ask me if it's "one of those vapor things"....lol

Of course, then I tell them all about it and the benefits and where to get them, et cetera.

: evod
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.