Anyone ever look at you like you're smoking something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muggs

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
CT
www.advancesmart.com
I was at a stop light, took a good size pull off the tank. I look to the right and this lady is staring at me like I'm doing something wrong. She says you're lucky I don't call the cops about that then rolled her window up and waited for the green.

I'm guessing she thought the ego and tank setup was for {SOMETHING ELSE} haha. Every happen to you guys?

Last edited by a moderator:

Huckleberried

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Louisville, KY, USA
Not so far. But, I kinda stopped caring what other people think about that to a degree. If I have the chance to inform, I do. If I don't have the opportunity, what a stranger thinks doesn't usually affect me. I work next door to a police station. The first time I walked across the parking lot with all the uniforms, I felt nervous. I don't know why. But they kept walking along, nodding, etc... I have nothing to hide :)

ITPython

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Central Coast, CA
Yeah, as I mentioned in another thread a few days ago, using ecigs is generally going to seem like one of two things to those not familiar with them.

1. If it looks like a cigarette, then you will be treated like you are the scum of the earth because it looks like you are smoking a cig.
2. If it doesn't look like a cig, people will likely think you are smoking {SOMETHING ELSE}.

Socially, it's not easy being a vaper. As I would guess that less than 1% who see you vape would ever think it was a harmless ecig. Will be nice if the day ever comes where the majority of people recognize them for what they are and celebrate it, rather than equating us to a cig smoker or a drug user.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
Just about everyday on my way home from work. LOL
I get the "looks" but haven't encountered anyone saying anything yet. It doesn't bother me at all and if someone does say something perhaps I can educate them. I was pulled over a week or so ago for a head light that was out. The cop shined his flashlight on my Evod but didn't say anything. I was waiting for it! Now I carry my MVP2 so who knows what will happen next...

cap269

Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Buckeye, AZ, USA
Not yet for me either with threats or distasteful looks. I am a CASAA member, though, and they have some nice educational 'business cards' available. I keep a few in my pocket just in case I have the opportunity to inform someone. I did have a coworker that was intrigued, though. I let her sample my vape, and now she is also an ex-smoker. Please take the opportunities to explain, and perhaps share, whenever possible. (You can get cheap disposable 'friend tips' (germ guards) for your tips if you are concerned when potentially sharing a taste).

Had 2 diehard nonsmokers try to treat me like a smoker today...was outside at my favorite establishment (owner will not let me vape inside, no big deal.)

They started in to complain to me and their waiter....I kept my cool and said 3 things that shut them up.

1. The wind is blowing my vape a way from you.
2. The patio is the designated "smoking area".
3. I pretty much pay the light bill here and you are here for your 2nd time (overheard amount of visit's part).

To wrap it up.....I was polite, reserved & did not truely speak my mind to the JW's! As far as other substance stuff goes, not yet. Had 1 local police officer ask me a ton of questions on where to buy my basic setup! (He is a convert to the vape side now!)

Jim

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
Had 2 diehard nonsmokers try to treat me like a smoker today...was outside at my favorite establishment (owner will not let me vape inside, no big deal.)

They started in to complain to me and their waiter....I kept my cool and said 3 things that shut them up.

1. The wind is blowing my vape a way from you.
2. The patio is the designated "smoking area".
3. I pretty much pay the light bill here and you are here for your 2nd time (overheard amount of visit's part).

To wrap it up.....I was polite, reserved & did not truely speak my mind to the JW's! As far as other substance stuff goes, not yet. Had 1 local police officer ask me a ton of questions on where to buy my basic setup! (He is a convert to the vape side now!)

Jim

Dude no offense but those kind of responses are exactly what these clowns want to hear to re-inforce their view that vaping IS smoking.

Tell them what they deserve to hear... nothing. Let the people who own the establishment explain it to them and/or ban their asses because they're too much hassle. Let them be the problem, not you.

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
This happens to me very often. I guess it is because I look cool and because of my age (27). When people ask me and I tell them it is an ecig, I usually get a few things:

1. Why wouldn't you just smoke a cigarette?

2. Dude, but can't you just use (something else) in it? Then they ask me all kinds of things about how they could do it and have no smell, etc...

I think I am just gonna start telling people that I do it because I am an undercover cop trying to find drug users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread