Anyone try the Aspire clearos/tanks yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I'll try boiling next time. But wouldn't the rubber bits melt? How long do you boil? And I assume after PGA soak you rinse again.

I love the aspire, but I wish it was rebuildable. Looking at more vids for other coils and want to try it.

I bring the water to a boil, drop a batch of coils in the water, let boil about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let them sit about 30 minutes. Take them out and let cool on paper towel, soak in PGA anywhere from an hour to overnight. depending how lazy I feel lol Air dry on paper towel and done.

I have never had anything rubber melt. I used this same method on the Kanger coils with good results. Now, I sure hope that you guys don't try it and any of the silicone melts for you. I have been using this method for more than a year between the Kanger and the Aspires though.

Honestly if you rinse them once a day, you should not need to use this method very often.

Good luck!

Last edited:

donesmokin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2011
NE Oregon
I'll try boiling next time. But wouldn't the rubber bits melt? How long do you boil? And I assume after PGA soak you rinse again.

I love the aspire, but I wish it was rebuildable. Looking at more vids for other coils and want to try it.

He's a bit annoying but here's a rebuild video. I've done a couple but as single coil only. He's got another one on the Nautilus rebuild.

Rebuilding The Aspire BDC - YouTube

sark666

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
toronto, ontario, canada
I started a thread on the glass ones flooding on me here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...tic-equals-awesome-glass-equals-flooding.html

I'm ticked because I bought 4 of them! I loved the plastic one but looks a little cheap and would like the glass ones for different flavours. Well, 3 of the 4 (didn't open the last one) flood. The mini floods the least of the 3, but even that doesn't perform like the plastic one.

I tried the coil in my plastic one in one of the glass ones just to see if it was, but it was performing subpar after not too long and could just the air flow changing and a flood around the corner.

Does anyone have a glass one with no issues? Does anyone have a plastic one that floods? I could understand if I got a bum one but all 3? And is there any fix I can try? If it's not the coils (which from my tests shows that it's not) the only thing I can think of is the metal threads don't seal as well as the plastic ones, but maybe it's something else.

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Russell Springs, Kentucky
I started a thread on the glass ones flooding on me here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...tic-equals-awesome-glass-equals-flooding.html

I'm ticked because I bought 4 of them! I loved the plastic one but looks a little cheap and would like the glass ones for different flavours. Well, 3 of the 4 (didn't open the last one) flood. The mini floods the least of the 3, but even that doesn't perform like the plastic one.

I tried the coil in my plastic one in one of the glass ones just to see if it was, but it was performing subpar after not too long and could just the air flow changing and a flood around the corner.

Does anyone have a glass one with no issues? Does anyone have a plastic one that floods? I could understand if I got a bum one but all 3? And is there any fix I can try? If it's not the coils (which from my tests shows that it's not) the only thing I can think of is the metal threads don't seal as well as the plastic ones, but maybe it's something else.

I have both and only time I get flooding is when I don't screw in the head tight enough. Other than that I really have no difference in performance with perhaps the taste a bit cleaner with the glass but not sure of that since my sense of taste isn't the greatest at the moment but is getting better.

sark666

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
toronto, ontario, canada
Hmm, I really don't think I didn't screw the heads in tight enough. I've never had to be so conscious of how tight I screw the heads in with plastic ones.

But I'd like to try however I don't want waste moil coils trying. The three coils in these glass ones are completely flooded. No air flow at all. I've tried blowing on them, sucking out the juice. With my good working coils if I put the top part in my mouth and plg the end with my finger I can get airflow, with these flooded ones, I can't get a bit of air. I washed one in hot water and let it dry by the heater overnight but its still flooded. Is there a method to unflood a coil? So these heads are pretty much brand new but just completely flooded.

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Russell Springs, Kentucky
Hmm, I really don't think I didn't screw the heads in tight enough. I've never had to be so conscious of how tight I screw the heads in with plastic ones.

But I'd like to try however I don't want waste moil coils trying. The three coils in these glass ones are completely flooded. No air flow at all. I've tried blowing on them, sucking out the juice. With my good working coils if I put the top part in my mouth and plg the end with my finger I can get airflow, with these flooded ones, I can't get a bit of air. I washed one in hot water and let it dry by the heater overnight but its still flooded. Is there a method to unflood a coil? So these heads are pretty much brand new but just completely flooded.

How long have you been using these heads? What thickness of Juice? Have you cleaned them before? This sounds more like the heads have failed from clogging.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
I had the same problem with flooding and just about gave up on them until I decided to see if airflow was the problem. I put a 510-510 adaptor in to give some clearance under the tank. It looks ridiculous, but it didn't flood anymore. I'm going to pick up an airflow control when I get the chance so I can mount it flush again. It seems to me that airflow is the problem. If the airflow is restricted, then you're creating more of a vacuum when you draw on it and that pulls too much juice into the atty.

My biggest beef with these now is that you can only fill them 2/3 of the way, and then they start flooding when you get down to 1/3, which is where the atty is. The reason I wanted a tank in the first place is so that I could fill it and be good to go for the day, but you have to top these up all the time to avoid flooding.

I ended up ordering a couple of the Davide King glassomizers that Gotvapes has on great sale right now. I've only had them for a few days, but so far, I'm in love. You can top-fill these, so I can fill them right up and not just part way. Also, I don't seem to have any flooding problems even though I'm mounting them flush. I haven't let them go down to the atty yet, so I don't know if they'll flood at that point. I'm assuming they will because it's the same atty that I have on the aspires. I would definitely suggest buy a couple of these instead of the aspires, since they're about the same price. I find them superior in every way.

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
Wow, maybe it's just me and/or my equipment and/or juice, but highly disapppointed in these...

BDC Nova & Mini Nova, both in glass

Flooding, leaking, gurgling, little to no vapor, juice in the mouth.. multiple heads at both 1.8 & 2.1, multiple PVs, 100% VG

At one point I got the Mini working well on one for a while... flavor was excellent, equivalent to an iClear16, which I consider the benchmark at this point

And then.. the above

What is going on with these things? Are the heads really that bad??

Was only my 1st day, still have a few unused heads left.. maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow

So far? Worst clearos I've ever used -- by far

Congrats to those having success with them.. don't see how that's even remotely possible based on my experience, but consider yourselves fortunate

EDIT: I've also used a 510-to-510 adaptor, which looks ridiculous with these -- same lousy results

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Sounds like you may be overfilling and getting juice into the air tube to me. If you are getting juice in your mouth, that has to be the reason. That would cause all of this
Flooding, leaking, gurgling, little to no vapor, juice in the mouth

Or, an airflow issue as stated above. I like the Vivis least of the Aspire line because of the airflow issue using with some mods. You could also try enlarging the air hole. I have seen folks say that helps with the airflow as well.

Good luck!

Sambuca, i just went to get a link for those in stock. Only 2.95 here http://www.litecigusa.net/Tank_Airflow_Controller_p/smok-tank-air-controller.htm

Last edited:

Sambuca

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Albuquerque
Sounds like you may be overfilling and getting juice into the air tube to me. If you are getting juice in your mouth, that has to be the reason. That would cause all of this
Flooding, leaking, gurgling, little to no vapor, juice in the mouth

Or, an airflow issue as stated above. I like the Vivis least of the Aspire line because of the airflow issue using with some mods. You could also try enlarging the air hole. I have seen folks say that helps with the airflow as well.

Good luck!

hi Salem. i have a bunch of vivi's and i bought these air flow controllers:

Tank Air Flow Controller

totally sweet! made the vape awesome, plus took care of the pin issue i was having.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
hi Salem. i have a bunch of vivi's and i bought these air flow controllers:

Tank Air Flow Controller

totally sweet! made the vape awesome, plus took care of the pin issue i was having.

The pin issue can be fixed by using an adapter or filing a few threads from the battery connector. What a PITA that we have to tinker with this stuff to get it to work right. :(

Sambuca

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Albuquerque

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
well, i wasn't about to file anything and these are adapters!

btw, i talked to one of the guys at World of Vape. hopefully, these will be in next week. take a looky at the prices:

Aspire Nautilus - $28.95 - WORLDofVAPE

Aspire Nautilus Coils (Pack of 5) - $14.75 - WORLDofVAPE

I knew that they had good pricing on the coils. I get mine in bulk and a bit lower though :D

BTW- I have several of the airflow adapters as well. It only takes a nail file to gently file the connector lol

Last edited:

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
here's a rebuild video.

Before rebuilding a Aspire BDC coil I would make sure the coil is the problem. I've had terrible luck with these, haven't come even close to the success Busardo demonstrated. Have determined there is nothing wrong with the coils, they are actually some of the best built coils I have come across, but I'm getting ahead of myself. If one has doubts about the quality of their vape, first make sure the ohm rating is in range of that advertised. Next treat it like a dripping atomizer, that is put a few drops down the mouthpiece and see how it vapes. Mine produced fantastic results.

Now back to the beauty of the build of these coils. Tore one apart and found there is no way for the wires to short out as the top coil leads have insulating sleeves on them and the wall of the coil base are insulated. Only the actual coils are resistance wire, the legs are none resistance wire. Unless one has tested the ohms and is sure a coil is broken, it is very difficult to improve on the stock coil.

How one can improve on the liquid flow to the coils is a mystery to me. I have worked with three of them, drilled out two and still get nothing close to what many are so pleased with. I'm using a 50/50 mix, possible I need to thin it out more, don't know but for now I'm perfectly happy to return to my old buddy, the CE-3 which has never let me down. :)

Errol

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Good info there, Errol. I mentioned early in the thread that I found out from another member that these make great drippers doing exactly as you stated.

I have had excellent results but, I use a 70/30 blend. I think that I have seen folks in this thread mention using 100% Vg and getting good results but, I am not positive about that.

I have been using nothing but my nautilus since I got them.

Pur3Rush

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Southern California
This should be helpful, although a bit long. Get comfortable for a few minutes.

I've used, and love the Aspire BDC, as well as the nautilus. I have new & shiny syndrome pretty bad, so I bought the nautilus before the stainless steel tank came out. I dropped the glass tank on my tile floor in the kitchen, and of course it broke. I gave up and went rebuildable and bought an Aqua dual coil rebuildable tank, as well as a patriot clone RDA. You don't care about that, so lets get to relevant info. Although I mention all that for a purpose that won't initially be evident.

Cleaning: Sambuca has it exactly correct. You must do this. Either use polident to clean, or rinse in extremely hot water at the end of the day. I've tried a vodka soak, didn't work. I tried dry burning, didn't work. Sambuca's method works because you need a non toxic compound to eat away at the crud, which makes it easier for it to be cleaned when rinsing in hot water.

If you don't want to fiddle with building your own coils, the trade off is that you must clean them frequently. Or make more money to keep buying heads. Again, I recommend sambuca's method.

Why dry burning does not work:

No matter how you do it, it's going to end up sucking very badly. You have dual coils which are criss crossed over each other. By the time your coil is gunked up from either a few days or a few weeks of use. *depends on your juice* what dry burning will do is melt the carmelized juice off the coil which is hot as hell, and all that crap in it's melted lava state will soak into your wick. Then thinking it should work, because you can see the coil glow *facepalm, you fill your tank with juice and it tastes like crap.

With these aspire tanks you have to take care of the coils by cleaning them. I know people say dry burning is fine because the silica won't burn, which is true. But the problem is exactly what I mentioned. The wick will soak up all that burnt and carmelized juice.

Other problems:

Your coil is brand new, and it's leaking, flooding, gurgling.!!! Aargh. What to do?? The problem is 99% associated with air flow. Pbusardo does a long version on his youtube channel. Basically when you take a pull, it creates an air vaccum inside the tank. This is how the juice is pulled to the wick then vaporized by the coil.

The only long term solution is to have the air flow controller ring *aspire bdc vivi's. (the nautilus has it built in) Normally people having the leaking gurgling issue are using a device where they flush mount the tank onto the device. The bdc vivi's are getting air flow directly under the 510 connection pin. Because of this, those experiencing leaking are pulling at a rate too fast for the tank to effectively vape.

Vaping is similar to a car. It takes heat *fire, juice *gas, and air for it to be effective. If there's too much of one component = functionality problems. The air flow control ring, enables the tank to be lifted off the direct 510 connection exposing it to more air. Now the coil gets enough air to vape effectively based on the strength of your pull.

Hopefully some of this rant was helpful. My examples should help you troubleshoot no matter what device, tank you're using. The problem is going to normally be either too much, or not enough of Heat, Juice, or Air.

No matter how frustrated you get, at least it's not a stinky. It will get better. You will find what works for you.
Stay calm, vape on.

PS. If you do get into rebuilding, rilp trippers is the man. An excitable fellow with an array of innovative coil builds. It gets easier. If a 70 year old lady named Jeanie who smoked for 53 years can rebuild her coils, I think you might have a shot at being successful. ;)

Last edited:

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
Your coil is brand new, and it's leaking, flooding, gurgling.!!! Aargh. What to do?? The problem is 99% associated with air flow. Pbusardo does a long version on his youtube channel. Basically when you take a pull, it creates an air vaccum inside the tank. This is how the juice is pulled to the wick then vaporized by the coil.

The only long term solution is to have the air flow controller ring *aspire bdc vivi's. (the nautilus has it built in) Normally people having the leaking gurgling issue are using a device where they flush mount the tank onto the device. The bdc vivi's are getting air flow directly under the 510 connection pin. Because of this, those experiencing leaking are pulling at a rate too fast for the tank to effectively vape.

Vaping is similar to a car. It takes heat *fire, juice *gas, and air for it to be effective. If there's too much of one component = functionality problems. The air flow control ring, enables the tank to be lifted off the direct 510 connection exposing it to more air. Now the coil gets enough air to vape effectively based on the strength of your pull.

Thanks for your post..

However, I'm curious of a few things...

If it is truly an air-flow issue, and I'm not saying it's not in my case.. why is it that my iClear30, which appears to use the same air-flow design at the same measurements as the Aspire Nova & Mini, works fine on my PV, yet the Aspires don't?

Shouldn't both work equally good/bad?

Also, I have tried a 510-to-510 adaptor, which raises up the topper -- however, same issues

Finally, can anybody explain the silicone taste & smell from these Aspires? It's not burnt, but it can be tasted while vaping, and smelled while disassembled.. And yes, this is both before & after multiple washings...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread