Status
Not open for further replies.

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
So DMB was in raleigh recently and I got tix at the last minute. Didn't really have time to prepare my vape setup, or think about it. So I just filled my ADV setup (kanger subtank and black K-Box) with higher nic juices. Higher nic because this is the first concert I've been to as a Vaper and I tend to want to smoke when I drink. But I digress, I really didn't know what to expect from the staff or the other attendees.
Well, I arrived at the show right as Dave was taking the stage. There were still a good number of people lined up to get in. I hopped in line and pulled everything outta my pockets. Walked up to security afraid I was going to be turned away with the device. Nope. Guy looked at me, all the stuff in my hands and my pockets. "You're good man". I was kinda surprised he didn't look my mod over at all.
I was in and vaping away. People were kinda staring at me but all was good. I did not see one other Vaper for like two hours in. There was a stand with a bunch of scantily clad girls letting people try juice in a conventional ecig. I stood by there and blew clouds for a lil bit. I didn't catch the name of the juice co. But it looked like a BT stand you normally see giving away cigs.
The first and only real mod I saw was this guy standing right outside of the VIP seats tugging on a copper vanilla mod with tugboat rda. Asked him what he was vaping on but it was so loud I couldn't hear a thing. Just cool to see another Vaper!
At one point a cop followed me around but trailed off after a little bit. Probably cuz he didn't smell burned buds. If I were putting that much smoke off from a different type of vaporizer, or an apple, I would smell strongly of the devils lettuce. Instead He would have smelled something Limey citrus. Had the gimlet by trinity vapor lounge and bloodbath by MBV mixed.
I was not hassled in any way during my trip to walnut creek amphitheater here in Raleightown. I was asked for a lighter and a cigarette, each of which I had for backup in case my mod wasn't accepted. And gladly gave them away:) I tried to explain what I was using instead of a cig. I called it a vaporizer and she looked at me like I was on drugs. Tried to ease her mind by calling it an advanced ecig. She liked that idea better and just shrugged. Never heard of a mod or APV. Kind fascinated by the device but super uninterested in learning what is was.
It is funny the stigma on vaping devices and concerts. Most if the night I felt as though everyone was watching me vape and assuming it was the wacky tobacky:p
Has anyone had a similar experience at a concert? Was it Worse or were there many vapers?

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
Had about the same experience shortly after I started vaping a friend invited me to go see Buckcherry at Warehouse Live here in Houston. When we got up to security I noticed a lot of no smoking signs since it is an indoor venue so I emptied my pockets and while being ushered in asked if it was ok to vape inside and was told,"Sure thing, just no smoking."

For the rest of the concert I just vaped away, trying to blow it up towards the ceiling or to my feet cause the place was shoulder to shoulder packed. And saw a few others vapers doing the same, at one point I did accidentally "crop dust" a guy and a few friends who came around a corner as I was exhaling. I immediately apologized and they just laughed it off and said at least it smelled like watermelons and not a nasty cigarette.

All in all it was a great first experience vaping in a crowded indoor place. And the only people who looked even the slightest bit offended were the smokers who had to go outside to smoke and miss some of the concert. And that was one of the first times I really enjoyed the benefits of not being banished to the smokers are outside and around the corner from the entrance.

Tmg666

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2014
Green bay, Wisconsin
Vaped fine at warped tour (outside) sonicboom (outside) the rave(inside) and resch center (inside) No weird looks and i seen dozens of other vapers at each event. With so much..other.. stuff being smoked no one really notices your melon vapor :p. I haven't been to any concerts outside of wisconsin since i started though so it could differ in other states.

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Guess what I did a few days ago at Gran Teatre del Liceu.... because "Cosi fan tutte", don't they?

An Opera vaper huh, how many people looked at you funny there? I agree with Cosi fan tutte (all women behave the same) in most instances. Was this the case with vaping at the theatre, lots of women crowding an area with tootle puffs and gossip? (No disrespect intended, there coulda been huge clouds blowin;) Honestly, I would have thought this as the last place I would see others vaping.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
I'm not about to bring a cloud-chucking setup to a venue or anything, but I'll fill my Nautilus and throw it on something like an Ego for the purpose of vaping in a venue.

Have gotten comments/"what's in your hands" but once they see it's an e-cig they back off.

Keep in mind, this is in NYC, which has pretty strict indoor smoking laws.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I believe it depends upon the facility (indoor vs outdoor), city, and state.

I used to live in Cincinnati and I would often go to outdoor concerts at Riverbend. A couple of years ago, you could easily pass through security without any issues or restrictions, but I've since heard that vapers must now vape in specific areas.

Cincinnati has laws against smoking or vaping inside any buildings. Having said that, I admit to stealth vaping at an indoor Muse concert a couple of years ago. I never draw attention to myself by blowing clouds, and I generally do double inhales to virtually eliminate any vapor.

Last edited:

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
I just usually ask. I do not know why vapors are so afraid of asking "Do you all mind if I vape?". What's the worst they can do say no? I just want to say this... ignorance is not a defense.

"Cincinnati has laws against smoking or vaping inside any buildings. Having said that, I admit to stealth vaping at an indoor Muse concert a couple of years ago. I never draw attention to myself by blowing clouds, and I generally do double inhales to virtually eliminate any vapor."

I was at the Taste this weekend. I am 1.8 ohms at 8.5 watts. I don't hide it. Of course it is outside, but no one said anything. I typically do not vape inside, though. I can go a few hours without needing a vape or smoke for that matter. by the way - some good eats. I doubt I go again. There were a bunch of hoodlums there this year.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
I just usually ask. I do not know why vapors are so afraid of asking "Do you all mind if I vape?". What's the worst they can do say no? I just want to say this... ignorance is not a defense.

Well imagine showing up to a venue with your vape and them telling you that they'll either need to confiscate it or you'll need to leave it outside the venue before entering. Imagine it's gonna be a long night, maybe 6 hours, and you'll be drinking, and this was your only source of nicotine for the night.

Personally, I'm curious about others' experiences/where they occurred. Everywhere in NYC has been fine so far, for me.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Well imagine showing up to a venue with your vape and them telling you that they'll either need to confiscate it or you'll need to leave it outside the venue before entering. Imagine it's gonna be a long night, maybe 6 hours, and you'll be drinking, and this was your only source of nicotine for the night.

Personally, I'm curious about others' experiences/where they occurred. Everywhere in NYC has been fine so far, for me.

Ummm. I do? I vape and a former smoker.. Last concert I went to had a smoking section. I assume you can vape in it?

Still why not ask?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I was at the Taste this weekend. I am 1.8 ohms at 8.5 watts. I don't hide it. Of course it is outside, but no one said anything. I typically do not vape inside, though. I can go a few hours without needing a vape or smoke for that matter. by the way - some good eats. I doubt I go again. There were a bunch of hoodlums there this year.
The Taste of Cincinnati was one of my favorite events. Besides the food, I enjoyed being able to listen to good music all day for free. As I get older, I'm getting to not care for events which attract huge numbers of people (ie 500,000 people at Riverfest fireworks). Moving away from Cincinnati last year to rural NW Ohio, I'm finding out just how much I miss all the events that Cincinnati offered. :(

And yes, I asked security if I could vape at Riverbend. They gave me a :thumb:

Vaping OUTSIDE should be ok anywhere IMHO.

ReigntheGamer

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014

If that happened to me, it's their house their rules. I would just take it back to the car, lock it up, and go back inside. That's where you have to decide if vaping is worth missing what ever event you have planned to attend.

I guess you could get up on a soapbox with security about the misconceptions about the dangers of second hand vapor but then you run the risk of not being let in at all for causing a ruckus before you're even let in.

Or the third option, ask them politely if they're not taking people's cigs and lighters away, and are letting them in with them trusting them to only use them in the designated areas would they extend you and your vape the same courtesy. And then just vape in the smokers area, which has happened to me before at a local bar I go to concerts from time to time.

Personally I don't get offended to be told I can only vape in the smoking area but rather look at it as a chance to be seen by smokers while vaping and maybe convert someone.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Ummm. I do? I vape and a former smoker.. Last concert I went to had a smoking section. I assume you can vape in it?

I've been to some venues where I'm confident they would've probably refused entry for an e-cig (tends to be venues where they're finding a lot of other "illicit substances" on the crowd, ie a Disco Biscuits show). They're not going to go into details and inspect it to see if it is or isn't an illicit substance.

If that happened to me, it's their house their rules. I would just take it back to the car, lock it up, and go back inside. That's where you have to decide if vaping is worth missing what ever event you have planned to attend.

What if I took a cab (which tends to be the case)? I have nowhere to lock up my belongings.

I guess you could get up on a soapbox with security about the misconceptions about the dangers of second hand vapor but then you run the risk of not being let in at all for causing a ruckus before you're even let in.

Nobody should do this. They're doing their job, there's no reason to question them or try and talk them out of the rules which they're employed to enforce.

Or the third option, ask them politely if they're not taking people's cigs and lighters away, and are letting them in with them trusting them to only use them in the designated areas would they extend you and your vape the same courtesy. And then just vape in the smokers area, which has happened to me before at a local bar I go to concerts from time to time.

That's part of the problem, I don't think they want to trust you to vape in the smoking area. They're like to assume that you're going to "stealth vape" and try and be sneaky about it. Security guards/bouncers, in my experience, are pretty stern people. They're not going to go on faith that your pocket knife is just on your keys because you have a pocket knife on your keys -- and I'm kind of glad for that. It's hard to decide where they should draw the line.

Personally I don't get offended to be told I can only vape in the smoking area but rather look at it as a chance to be seen by smokers while vaping and maybe convert someone.

Neither do I. In fact, I usually go into smoking areas to vape even if it's not necessary -- sometimes you want the fresh air and stuff.

ReigntheGamer

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
I've been to some venues where I'm confident they would've probably refused entry for an e-cig (tends to be venues where they're finding a lot of other "illicit substances" on the crowd, ie a Disco Biscuits show). They're not going to go into details and inspect it to see if it is or isn't an illicit substance.

What if I took a cab (which tends to be the case)? I have nowhere to lock up my belongings.

Nobody should do this. They're doing their job, there's no reason to question them or try and talk them out of the rules which they're employed to enforce.

That's part of the problem, I don't think they want to trust you to vape in the smoking area. They're like to assume that you're going to "stealth vape" and try and be sneaky about it. Security guards/bouncers, in my experience, are pretty stern people. They're not going to go on faith that your pocket knife is just on your keys because you have a pocket knife on your keys -- and I'm kind of glad for that. It's hard to decide where they should draw the line.

Neither do I. In fact, I usually go into smoking areas to vape even if it's not necessary -- sometimes you want the fresh air and stuff.

Agreed on all counts and I have had to leave more than a few pocket knives with security because I just forgot I had them on me, since I always carry one. As far as the cab situation my best answer to that would be try and call ahead/look them up on the web and get a definitive answer before heading out. Other than that it's a risk for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread