Anything specific i should know about building with SS wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Be Careful doing Google Searches with the word Virgin in it if you have Kids in the Room.

;)

My kid is now 21, and I still would shield the screen from her eyes (oh, the denial of a dad about a daughter, I just really don't want to know :facepalm:)

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
And the contest continues I see... how about doing a few searches about it instead of the tap each other on the back with sarcasm as the whole arrogance thing seems to be way over your understanding, for example:
ss coil TC issues - Google Search

Multiple people have had the same issues, the tank, the decks aren't the point really as other people had other tanks and mods than I did... I tested on cartridge rebuilds, Lemo2, OBS Ace (RTA), a few RDAs, all multiple times, different builds, different gauges, (anywhere from 1.5mm to 2.5mm, from 3-4 wraps as I remember, as this was quite a while ago (so no, I don't have the links to those particular threads anymore)) and the results were the same.

So yes, I do "claim as facts" because after weeks of testing with the same results. discussing with other people that either had similar issues or such, it was conclusive that SS316L can be very finicky and with such small coils, the TC sensors of all my mods had trouble staying in SS. Again, something that many have experienced. Some tested and figured out that SS430 worked much better for them.

Yes these tanks uses very small coils, I tried various wicking methods, and tried various cottons, from various Japanese organic ones to Cotton Bacon, the ramp of SS on small single coils is simply so fast that unless I'd soak the coils in liquid (which I even tested in my RDas and still it would end up with a burnt taste), after a few puffs, it simply ramps too fast on such coils so the choice is restricted to low wattage/temp. and have a cool vape, or increase it a bit and one tiny bit too high and it burns very easily. And this was in both TC and Wattage mode.

Eventually I started switching over to dual decks RTAs and building duals in my RDAs and it's been working great in those... larger coils, more wraps, balanced power shared. Even all my mods that had issues with the smaller coils, no longer had any. SS has become my preferred choice for all my dual builds, but I will stick to NI for the smaller ones.

Why this is such a debate instead of us helping each other, I just don't get it...

Last edited:

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
And the contest continues I see... how about doing a few searches about it instead of the tap each other on the back with sarcasm as the whole arrogance thing seems to be way over your understanding, for example:

Multiple people have had the same issues, the tank, the decks aren't the point really as other people had other tanks and mods than I did... I tested on cartridge rebuilds, Lemo2, OBS Ace (RTA), a few RDAs, all multiple times, different builds, different gauges, (anywhere from 1.5mm to 2.5mm, from 3-4 wraps as I remember, as this was quite a while ago (so no, I don't have the links to those particular threads anymore)) and the results were the same.

So yes, I do "claim as facts" because after weeks of testing with the same results. discussing with other people that either had similar issues or such, it was conclusive that SS316L can be very finicky and with such small coils, the TC sensors of all my mods had trouble staying in SS. Again, something that many have experienced. Some tested and figured out that SS430 was much better for them.

Yes these tanks uses very small coils, I tried various wicking methods, and tried various cottons, from various Japanese organic ones to Cotton Bacon, the ramp of SS on small single coils is simply so fast that unless I'd soak the coils in liquid, after a few puffs, it simply ramps too fast on such coils so the choice is restricted to low wattage/temp. and have a cool vape, or increase it a bit and one tiny bit too high and it burns very easily.

Eventually I started switching over to dual decks RTAs and building duals in my RDAs and it's been working great in those... larger coils, more wraps, balanced power shared. Even all my mods that had issues with the smaller coils, no longer had any. SS has become my preferred choice for all my dual builds, but I will stick to NI for the smaller ones.

Why this is such a debate, I just don't get it...
What contest? You are delusional, dude :lol:

You could have let this go but you keep making it funnier.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

What does a Google Search prove? LOL.

Please tell me of ANY Coil Type or Wire Alloy or RTA or Whatever that you Can't Find people that have had any Problems.

We can Walk this Back from a Single SS Coil to a Small SS Coil to a Small SS Coil with few Wraps to a Small SS Coil with few Wraps not working in TC Mode if you like. But then Doesn't how the Mod does TC have something to do with it at that Point?

I don't know why You have Problems running a Single SS Coil?

But are you Really doing the OP in this Thread (or anyone) a Favor by saying that SS Single Coils Don't Work just because You can't get them to Work?

Anyway. Happy New Year Imfallen_Angel.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The real debate here is about wicks. Now I find that a virgin alpaca vapes great (so long as its used in a dual coil set up, of course) but Echidna fuzz is superior. YMMV

When I 1st Read that, I thought you said "enchilada fuzz".

:lol:

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
What does a Google Search prove? LOL.

Please tell me of ANY Coil Type or Wire Alloy or RTA or Whatever that you Can't Find people that have had any Problems.

We can Walk this Back from a Single SS Coil to a Small SS Coil to a Small SS Coil with few Wraps to a Small SS Coil with few Wraps not working in TC Mode if you like. But then Doesn't how the Mod does TC have something to do with it at that Point?

I don't know why You have Problems running a Single SS Coil?

But are you Really doing the OP in this Thread (or anyone) a Favor by saying that SS Single Coils Don't Work just because You can't get them to Work?

Anyway. Happy New Year Imfallen_Angel.
Isn't it amazing, the walk back you just described? :lol:

I've been laughing so hard at all this. The intentions are pure, to help the OP, but - is the OP even using a tank? (not disclosed in opening post) so the blanket statement totally deserved the response it has gotten.

Noone here is trying to be a douche, but the advice of Imfallen_Angel needs to be taken with a large grain of salt at best. Really not helping the OP or anyone else.

Happy New Year, make sure to check out some Echidna fuzz for your next wicks!! :thumbs:

Reactions: zoiDman

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I didn't realize my single coil SS builds in my Serpent mini, Merlin, and Bellus weren't working. Here I thought everything was fine.

There is nothing wrong with 316L for single, dual, or any other configuration so long as you are using a board capable of properly monitoring and regulating the current to assure a consistent temperature throughout the puff. If you have a problem of burning a wick and/or a dry hit with a TC SS build, either the mod is bad or the wicking is bad.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Isn't it amazing, the walk back you just described? :lol:

I've been laughing so hard at all this. The intentions are pure, to help the OP, but - is the OP even using a tank? (not disclosed in opening post) so the blanket statement totally deserved the response it has gotten.

Noone here is trying to be a douche, but the advice of Imfallen_Angel needs to be taken with a large grain of salt at best. Really not helping the OP or anyone else.

Happy New Year, make sure to check out some Echidna fuzz for your next wicks!! :thumbs:

A Happy New Year to You and Everyone also.

confetti2.gif

And I think I am going to go out and get Mexican Food tonight.

LTCPlate008.jpg

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
SS will work as I said, depending on the MOD and tank/deck (RTA or RDA), but not on everything every time... the smaller the coil, the harder it is to get it working right.... if you're doing a fairly large build, it should help it work correctly. But on my various RTAs and RDAs, every time I tried single coils I had issues, and so did a LOT of people (plenty of threads and discussions easily found online about people having the exact same issue, including other vapers in my area that I've talked to).

And it's not just wattage... I tested at very low wattage, with nothing worth while until I'd increase it bit by bit, and once I'd get actual vape and warmth, it would start giving me burnt taste almost instantly. I tried various gauge, on various settings, in different tanks, always the same results.

Add to that, that my several mods had trouble staying in SS mode with the small single coils (Eleaf, Joytech, Smok, Innokin), but once switched to dual coils (in the various RDA/RTAs I have), every problem went away, logic dictates that it's simply a question that enough wire is needed for things to work properly with TC, that the power being split into two channels balances the ramping better.

If you managed to have tanks with single builds that worked out for you, that's quite great, but it's far from everyone's experience.
Sorry, but if you're not getting it to work you're doing something wrong. I've never had any problems with my multiple Joyetech/Wismec/Eleaf mods and I'm no way a master at building coils.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
And it's not just wattage... I tested at very low wattage, with nothing worth while until I'd increase it bit by bit, and once I'd get actual vape and warmth, it would start giving me burnt taste almost instantly. I tried various gauge, on various settings, in different tanks, always the same results.

As for watts, a 28 ga kanthal a1 coil at 1Ω is the same length of wire as a ss316l coil at .54Ω. The former has a higher heat flux and heat capacity so it'll heat up faster.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Alpaca is nice Baby Alpaca, that is very nice. But the best is Vicuña, it is absolutely divine!
Personally I've found tarantula hairs to be best. From free-range tarantulas of course.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Of Course.

Raising Tarantulas in Cages is Inhuman.
Yes, raising Tarantulas in cages is inhuman. Must have free range Tarantulas, but catching them can be problematic and they don't like to be shaved.

I think dryer lint would be good, already nice and fluffy and we must insure we recycle to save the planet.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yes, raising Tarantulas in cages is inhuman. Must have free range Tarantulas, but catching them can be problematic and they don't like to be shaved.

I think dryer lint would be good, already nice and fluffy and we must insure we recycle to save the planet.

Ah Yes... Dryer Lint. Or as some call it, Poor Man's Cashmere.

I was going to try it one time after Washing/Drying some Flannel Sheets. But I read on a Internet Forum that it Doesn't work with Single Coils.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Ah Yes... Dryer Lint. Or as some call it, Poor Man's Cashmere.

I was going to try it one time after Washing/Drying some Flannel Sheets. But I read on a Internet Forum that it Doesn't work with Single Coils.
That's only for SS lint traps, Plastic is fine ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread