Anywhere to get legit Sony VTC5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ooomphlaa

Aug 26, 2014
United States
It seems like all my normal online and B&M store are sold out of VTC5 batteries. I've found a few scattered places online but they seem shady at best. I feel like if the major folks don't have VTC5s then if some unknown site has them it is probably shady. I've also heard varying reports that Sony is no longer making the VTC5s (or 4s) and some that they are. Anyone have a good line on where to get them now or if in fact Sony is no longer making them? If they are long gone are there any good 30 amp equivalents? Thanks.

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It seems like all my normal online and B&M store are sold out of VTC5 batteries. I've found a few scattered places online but they seem shady at best. I feel like if the major folks don't have VTC5s then if some unknown site has them it is probably shady. I've also heard varying reports that Sony is no longer making the VTC5s (or 4s) and some that they are. Anyone have a good line on where to get them now or if in fact Sony is no longer making them? If they are long gone are there any good 30 amp equivalents? Thanks.
Depending upon the "rumor of the week", Sony batteries are going to continue to be available, although that availability is likely to be sporadic due to their popularity and limited production. The original production facility had to be shut down after the nuclear power plant disaster in Japan last year. A new facility in the Philipines is nearly at 100% capacity, so the drought seen recently should improve soon.

The Sony VTC5 is the unquestioned leader for true 30 amp (continuous discharge rating) batteries with 2600 mah. Xtar recently partnered with Sony to rebrand the Sony VTC5 under their own label. Xtar partners with Sony

Next would be the Sony VTC4, still with 30 amps continuous but only with 2100 mah. The purple Efest 2100 mah 30 amp battery uses the same Sony VTC4 cell. The Orbtronic 18650 SX30 2100mAh ​30A has the same specs, and since they re-wrap other manufacturer's batteries too, this is likely a Sony VTC4 cell, also.

Don't be fooled by Efest's advertised 35 amps 2500mah battery. It's a re-wrapped LG18650HE2 with only 20 amps continuous discharge rating. Purple Efest Batteries Not As Advertised

ooomphlaa

Aug 26, 2014
United States
@jpcwon: Thanks for the link. It looks like most of the other questionable sites I've happened across that say they are selling VTC5s. Let me know when you get yours what you think. Looks like they only had a few left anyway.

@Baditude: Thats more or less the last thing I heard too. I've even seen a few forum posts that claim to have emails from Sony but one will contradict the other. One says they aren't producing and one says they are. Another will say that they are producing but not for retail sale. I've heard to stay away from the Efest batteries b/c they don't really live up to their stated stats. I'll have to look at the Orbtronic though. I'm just trying to cover my bases. I've got 2 VTC5s and 2 VTC4s right now so I'm set for my daily needs. I just wanted to grab a few authentic ones if I could just in case and to make sure I always have a great battery on hand.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
@Baditude: I've got 2 VTC5s and 2 VTC4s right now so I'm set for my daily needs. I just wanted to grab a few authentic ones if I could just in case and to make sure I always have a great battery on hand.

I'm in a similar situation. I have two Sony VTC4 and two Sony VTC5 batteries, which get shared between myself and my live-in son. I make our builds to 0.6 ohms so if I need to I can temporarily use one of my many AW 18650 IMR 2000 mah 10 amp batteries if none of the Sony's are charged up and ready to go.

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
@jpcwon: Thanks for the link. It looks like most of the other questionable sites I've happened across that say they are selling VTC5s. Let me know when you get yours what you think. Looks like they only had a few left anyway.

@Baditude: Thats more or less the last thing I heard too. I've even seen a few forum posts that claim to have emails from Sony but one will contradict the other. One says they aren't producing and one says they are. Another will say that they are producing but not for retail sale. I've heard to stay away from the Efest batteries b/c they don't really live up to their stated stats. I'll have to look at the Orbtronic though. I'm just trying to cover my bases. I've got 2 VTC5s and 2 VTC4s right now so I'm set for my daily needs. I just wanted to grab a few authentic ones if I could just in case and to make sure I always have a great battery on hand.

Yeah....I realize that it's a gamble, but my VTC5's (I currently have 4 of them) have been cycled many times, so it's time for new ones......I usually get ALL my batteries from RTD Vapor, but the VTC5's are out of stock there.....

I will definitely report back when I get these batteries from eCrater......could be legit, or they could be garbage....time will tell... :)

Huh?!

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Houston
These are legit, I purchased and received 2 (and in general - this is a vendor with very good service)

One Sony VTC5 30A 18650

I got two from them when they had a $10 off coupon. Have no reason to think they are counterfit. work very well and am pleased. Also, I have heard their juice is receiving favorable reviews and know of a handful of B&Ms that are starting to carry their line.

Last edited:

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
I haven't done business with this vendor but they appear to have VTC5 batteries in stock for $10.95 each. Shipping quote for a pair was $3.25 for the cheapest option. Again, I can't vouch for the vendor or the authenticity of the cells... but, if someone was willing to roll the dice, at least they are in stock.

XTAR 18650 2600mAh 30A VTC5 Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery - Flat Top

I'm still waiting for the pair I ordered from Steam Juice on 8/29 - appears they are now out of stock, like most places.

snipeslayer

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2014
United States
I haven't done business with this vendor but they appear to have VTC5 batteries in stock for $10.95 each. Shipping quote for a pair was $3.25 for the cheapest option. Again, I can't vouch for the vendor or the authenticity of the cells... but, if someone was willing to roll the dice, at least they are in stock.

I'm still waiting for the pair I ordered from Steam Juice on 8/29 - appears they are now out of stock, like most places.

Looks mildly sketchy with the "xtar" labeling on it....not sure how I feel about this. Thought about grabbing some 25r batteries while I waited for VTC5's to replenish but I am not sure.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Bought 2 of the xtar vct5 from Battery Junction.
About 22.00+ shipped with the holiday 10% off
Came in an xtar box but are the usual green [had some kind of hologram sticker about genuine on bat]
No visible signs of counterfeit that I've seen in online pictures.
FWIW

The Xtar branding makes sense if one checks out the earlier post in this thread showing a new partnership with Sony & Xtar, following that link shows an Xtar battery at 2100mAh 30amps, and in the description it states the actual battery is a Sony brand. Now there is NO listing of an Xtar matching the specs of a VTC5 just yet, so it's a bit ODD, that any other company would have an Xtar branded version of the Sony VTC5, before Xtar themselves. BUT, with that oddity aside I have bought many products from Battery Junction, so when I saw your post and link, I finally felt I could buy these in confidence, because if I find they are fake or relabeled or anything but a true VTC5, I will return the 4 batteries I just ordered. This is a good online vendor and many on the CandlePower forums use and recommend them, so why not. As many of you already know, these VTC5's show up now and then on sites you have little to no knowledge of, and while tempted, I did not bite.

Pure conjecture, but perhaps the recent shortage of VTC5's is in part due to this new Xtar partnership, some stock going to them first, and they just have not updated their site yet to include and list them, that of course does not explain how Battery Junction has them? The internet can be a mysterious place!

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Not trying to be a salesman.
Just got them yesterday so no performance feedback
I checked Xtar myself and found the same
Green bats with the Sony light letters and markings on them Ends with vct5
Just passing the info that I'm finding

Thanks, it was a great tip, finally allowing me to hit the BUY button. I getting two for a friend that is just getting into Ecigs, and is on the fast track toward possibly getting the latest Provari 3, when it's out of Beta. I wanted to get the "current" best battery for mods, as well as my GGTS mech mod. My AW IMR 1600mAh 25AH, are still working, but it's time for some new bullets. I won't see mine for a few days, so let us know what you find. I'll have to do some reading on the CandlePower forums to see if there is any way to confirm there true amperage, as I only have basic volt meters here. I've seen all the other ways to tell by looks only. I believe this link was posted earlier, but has great fake versus real photos if you scroll down, so worth reposting, do your new Xtar/Sony's pass these visual checks?

Fake VTC5 Information - Imgur

Just ordered two of them, ill be you ginneapig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread