Status
Not open for further replies.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
If you get what is pictured, those appear to be authentic VTC5 cells however the problem comes to actually receiving the pictured product, though the seller having 1200+ transactions and 100% positive feedback is a really good sign. Worth the gamble? That's for you to decide ultimately.

Edit: Flag on the play, same seller with a listing for Two batteries. Pictured cells are fakes, top section gap is too large(likely Samsung 25R) I find it very amusing that this listing curiously leaves out "Authentic" in the title.
2 Sony VTC5 18650 High Drain 30A 2600mAh Rechargeable Batteries | eBay

Last edited:

JohnDoses

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2014
Louisville, KY USA
Hey guys, I have a Sony vtc question, couldn't really find a good thread for my question, but this one seems like someone might be able to help.

I have 1 vtc5 that I use in my Hana Mods, It is the best battery I have, but the problem is, it get stuck in my device. The metal battery attachments (pardon my lack of vocab) get stuck on the green wrap of the battery, an over time, it has started to peel back, only on the top of the batter where the connections are. I decided to cut the green wrap where it would fold over and cover a few milimeters on the top and bottom of the battery, and replaced this with electric tape.

I am still a little hesitant to use this battery yet, I try not to mess with or alter these batteries in any way shape or form. So my question is, is this acceptable, or should I scrap this battery and look for another?

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
USA
I am still a little hesitant to use this battery yet, I try not to mess with or alter these batteries in any way shape or form. So my question is, is this acceptable, or should I scrap this battery and look for another?

You could buy some wraps and rewrap the battery rather than discarding it. There are all kinds of youtube vids and stuff on how to properly rewrap a battery.

Reactions: Baditude

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have 1 vtc5 that I use in my Hana Mods, It is the best battery I have, but the problem is, it get stuck in my device. The metal battery attachments (pardon my lack of vocab) get stuck on the green wrap of the battery, an over time, it has started to peel back, only on the top of the batter where the connections are. I decided to cut the green wrap where it would fold over and cover a few milimeters on the top and bottom of the battery, and replaced this with electric tape.

To do it properly; http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tutorials/485582-tutorial-re-wrapping-battery.html.

OTOH, electrical tape is fine as long as none of the battery casing is exposed and the batt still fits in the device.

Reactions: Baditude

nj1001

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2009
Boston-ish
Ugh... any updates?

So far here's what seem to be available:
$17.99
Sony VTC5 18650 | Vape Titans

$24.99 !!!!!
https://www.thevapesquad.com/store/..._2600mAh_30A_Li-Ion_Rechargeable_Battery.html

and $30 !!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.powerstream.com/18650-high-discharge-rate.htm

This blows... Ordered 2 flasks (couldn't decide on the color, haha) and hoping for something legit without gouging my wallet any more than I already have.
Guess I'll keep using what I have and hope for the best in the near future.
In the past I have always done business with battery junction and they're super legit & top notch. Hopefully they'll get some back soon.

Last edited:

tFOrRESTee

Nov 3, 2014
USA
After reading thru the thread, I have two comments.

1. I am a little too late in the game. If I started ecig in July, I would had advanced to mechanical mod in September and purchased vtc5s. No, I am not gonna pay $17 for a vtc5, genuine or not!

2. Right now I have 2 efests, 2 vtc4s, and 2 LG he2s ( oh, and one no-name brand I purchased for $12 from my local shop which I will not visit again). I was planning to get a few AWs and xtars but now I am glad I read the posts here to understand that batteries don't last forever. I will wait until they die, and hopefully by then there will be some 2600mah batteries with 40 amp continuous discharge rate. :) not sure if that's physically or scientically possible though, lol.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
Ugh... any updates?

So far here's what seem to be available:
$17.99
Sony VTC5 18650 | Vape Titans

$24.99 !!!!!
https://www.thevapesquad.com/store/..._2600mAh_30A_Li-Ion_Rechargeable_Battery.html

and $30 !!!!!!!!!!!!
In Stock genuine high discharge rate rechargeable cylindrical 18650 Li-Ion batteries Sony, LG, Samsung from PowerStream; authentic 18650HE2, US18650VCT4, US18650VCT5, VTC4, VTC5, INR18650-25R with battery data sheet and discharge curves

This blows... Ordered 2 flasks (couldn't decide on the color, haha) and hoping for something legit without gouging my wallet any more than I already have.
Guess I'll keep using what I have and hope for the best in the near future.
In the past I have always done business with battery junction and they're super legit & top notch. Hopefully they'll get some back soon.

There is some clown on eBay UK charging £100 (approx $156) for ONE VTC5. I really hope noone is stupid enough to pay that. Meanwhile I picked up some Samsung INR18650-25R's for about 5% of that, and they perform just as well for my purposes. Samsung 25R vs Sony VTC5 compared.

solkku

Sep 28, 2014
Helsinki, FI
Hey guys! I managed to find VTC5s in stock at a Finnish vape shop last week, so I bought one. The store convinced me they were real.

I have some photos of the battery itself, and was wondering if someone could please help me determine if it's real or not? I've seen some homepages and youtube videos that compare real ones to fakes, but can't seem to get a definite answer. Unfortunately I don't own a camera, so these were taken with my cell phone's camera.

Imgur link for full-size image

sNwpPlo.jpg

Attachments

• sony-vtc5-collage.jpg
    sony-vtc5-collage.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 31

nj1001

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2009
Boston-ish
Apparently there are 2 variations of "authentic" VTC5s. Some with a larger gap in the top some without. My device only holds a select few batts including the authentic VTC5s with the smaller gap. I asked a reputable e-cig site selling them and they said the ones they had were authentic and were labeled underneath the green wrapper as being legit sonys but also had the larger gap which wont fit for me.

This makes detection of authentics even more of a tangled web.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Just ordered 4 Sony VTC 5's from here:

18650 Sony US18650VTC5 2600mAh High Discharge Flat Top - Batteries, Chargers, and PowerPax Carriers

PASTE:
We were able to source a small batch of verified VTC5 batteries through testing, no estimate on a restock at the time.

Sony US18650VTC5 2600 mAh High Discharge Flat Top

Battery purchases in pairs receive free cases.

Specifications:
Nominal Capacity: 2600 mAh
Minimum Capacity: 2500 mAh
Nominal Voltage: 3.6V
Discharge End Voltage: 2.5V
Standard Charging Current: 2.5A
Charging Voltage: 4.20+-0.05V
Max. Continuous Discharging Current: 30A
Internal Resistance: 13.5 milli-ohms
Dimensions:
65.20mm (L) x 18.35 mm (D)
Weight: 45.1g

PaulyWally

Jun 5, 2015
Texas
Just ordered 4 Sony VTC 5's from here:

18650 Sony US18650VTC5 2600mAh High Discharge Flat Top - Batteries, Chargers, and PowerPax Carriers

PASTE:
We were able to source a small batch of verified VTC5 batteries through testing, no estimate on a restock at the time.

Sony US18650VTC5 2600 mAh High Discharge Flat Top

Battery purchases in pairs receive free cases.

Specifications:
Nominal Capacity: 2600 mAh
Minimum Capacity: 2500 mAh
Nominal Voltage: 3.6V
Discharge End Voltage: 2.5V
Standard Charging Current: 2.5A
Charging Voltage: 4.20+-0.05V
Max. Continuous Discharging Current: 30A
Internal Resistance: 13.5 milli-ohms
Dimensions:
65.20mm (L) x 18.35 mm (D)
Weight: 45.1g

I just ordered eight from them yesterday. I got the link to Illumn from this websites battery resources document. I bought some VTC4 from them last week and those were legit and at a very good price. I'm sure that we will be safe with the VTC5s from Illumn but when I ordered mine yesterday, the order stated they will be on back order, even though they say in stock. Either way $10 a pop is "okay" and Illumn seems pretty legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread