Aosibo Brown 60A 2600mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...only 25A with inconsistent performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Tested at 10A-30A constant current and 30A-60A pulsed current. Two cells were purchased by me for testing. I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Disclaimer
    The conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have elected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Bottom Line
    In my opinion these are only 25A continuous discharge current (CDR) cells with average capacity for their rating. When attempting a 4 second pulse at the 60A rating the voltage dropped to 2.5V before a single pulse could be completed. There were huge differences in performance between these cells and two I tested earlier. The cell only says "60A" on the wrapper. You have to go to the Aosibo web site to find out its ratings are 30A continuous and 60A pulse. This is inexcusable in my opinion and I cannot recommend buying this cell for this reason, its poor pulse performance, and its cell-to-cell differences.

Constant-Current Test Results
    image.jpg

Pulsed-Current Test Results
    image.jpg

Comments
    • This is the brown wrap cell with only one current rating on it, "60A". Checking the Aosibo web site I saw that the CDR for the cell was 30A, with 60A being its pulse rating. This was confirmed by Aosibo.
    • I tested two of these cells earlier, sent to me by Aosibo for free for the purpose of testing. The differences in performance between them was huge and both performed worse than the two I purchased for this test. This is an unacceptable spread in cell-to-cell performance consistency.
    • The outside top edge for the two cells I tested have that same very rough appearance. This is where the can is rolled over to seal in the top cap. This appears in no other cell I have tested to date.
    • Cell1 was running about 0.1V below Cell2's voltage (double the typical spread) until I finished the first three 10A discharges. Then they were almost identical.
    • At 10A the cell reached about 2330mAh. This is average performance for a 2600mAh-rated cell at 10A. I am giving this cell a capacity rating of 2600mAh.
    • At 15A the maximum temperature reached 63°C. This is too low a temperature to set 15A as the CDR.
    • At 20A the maximum temperature reached 70°C. This is too low for a cell operating at its CDR. An obvious voltage sag can be seen at the start until the cell temperature rises, the internal resistance drops, and the voltage starts rising.
    • At 25A the temperature rose to 81°C. This is 3°C above the average of a cell operating at its CDR but is still a bit lower than some LG cells. The voltage sag at the start is more pronounced.
    • A 30A the temperature rise to 93°C. This is way too hot to set 30A as the CDR.
    • Five more cycles at 30A only slight signs of damage to the cell with the maximum temperature rising up to 98°C by the fifth additional discharge.
    • I am setting a CDR of 25A for this cell. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current causes damage to the cell, I would hope for good cycle life from this cell at 25A.
    • Pulse discharges were done at 30A and 60A. At 60A, its pulse rating, the voltage almost instantly plunged to 3.0V and then quickly dropped to my 2.5V cutoff before a single 4 sec pulse could be completed. This is clearly not a 60A pulse cell.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/list-of-battery-tests.7436/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...safe-battery-to-vape-with.7447/#comment-13224

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread