Are batterys still good to go after leaving them boxed up for a few months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar94

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2016
I stopped vaping around the 10th of may "looking at a message on here I sent to a member on that date saying I was going back to tobacco for a while", and I haven't touched any of my vape gear since, just found my Rose 3 so quite happy with that... got some N.E.T's and I'm ready to go, just thought I'd check to be on the safe side, they are sony vtc6's I believe... the mod I'll be using is a dicodes no.6, and I vape around 12 watts, cheers.

Reactions: David Wolf

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I stopped vaping around the 10th of may "looking at a message on here I sent to a member on that date saying I was going back to tobacco for a while", and I haven't touched any of my vape gear since, just found my Rose 3 so quite happy with that... got some N.E.T's and I'm ready to go, just thought I'd check to be on the safe side, they are sony vtc6's I believe... the mod I'll be using is a dicodes no.6, and I vape around 12 watts, cheers.
My goodness you can store these for a year and they're still good, charge it up and vape away.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
throw them into the charger and see if they take a complete charge of 4.2V.. if they do then they are good to go... if they hang at less than 3.9V while charging, then they have gone "bad"... the chemistry inside has developed something called dendrites... "crystalized" formations that damage the internal structure of the batteries chemistry... basically it shorts the battery between the + and - "plates" and allows for a slow and continuous discharge... sometimes the "dendrites" can form enough volume between plates to kill the battery completely... and BTW it takes a couple of years of non usage ( on average) for the dendrites to develope....

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Normally, it's recommended to store your lithium batteries at around 70% for long term storage.

If your battery was dead when you set it aside, as other have stated, just checking how dead it is will be your clue for damage.

But for just a couple of months, unless it was dead, I wouldn't worry about it as long as it's charging correctly. Worst scenario, it will simply have a softer lifespan.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread