Are cartomizers supposed to change OhM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacquelyn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2011
California
I use a 2.5 ohm smoktech dual coal in my map tank. It still works great about 4 days of use. I noticed I keep getting e2 reading on my provari. I am vaping at 4.9. I just checked my ohms on the provari and it is now reading 1.6 ohm. Is that normal? If it is still working and producing vapors is this normal? Also do they drop OHM as they are being used. I have never had this happen to my other carto's so it is really weird to see this. Thanks for any imput as well.

Charlz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
upstate NY
could one of the coils have burnt out or does that open the entire circuit? The same thing happens to mine but only slight changes that lets me know the cart is on it's way out. Weird that it would be about half

edit: wow it's late. I'm going to leave the post here unedited so I can laugh at myself tomorrow.

Last edited:

ThunderHammer

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2012
Carberry, MB Canada
It seems dual coils are wired in parallel such that two 5 ohm coils will produce 2.5 ohm. If one burns the ohms will increase to 5 ohms. The other way would be to wire in series (2 x 1.25 ohm = 2.5 ohm), but if a coil blew, that would open the circuit and the carto would be dead. It is likely all dual coils are wired in parallel so if one blows, the carto will still work, although reduced efficiency. It is unusual that your ohms dropped off, however it occurs to me that the fluid can conduct electricity, reducing the overall resistance between ground and hot, not enough to vape the liquid, but enough amperage is left over to heat the coil.:blink:

I'm no expert, but I have a basic understanding of Ohm's Law and find this fascinating. If the carto is vaping fine, who cares? Vape on dude, vape on.:vapor:

Ignore the voltages below, this just shows series vs. parallel wiring of solar cells. Imagine the cell arrays are coils.

Attachments

• Series-VS-Parallel.jpg
    Series-VS-Parallel.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Mark C.

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2012
Easton, MD
I'm not sure, i had 2 Boge 3.0 ohm carto's which started at 3.1 ohms, and actually had them start to drop down in ohms, seemed like each time i would take a drag on it, it would drop by .1-.2 ohms untill it finally dropped to about 2 ohms and i stopped using it... something makes me think that when the ohms starts dropping its the coil failing

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I threw out the carto. I got scared it would short my provari. I still want feedback please. This is something I have never seen before and not sure if it is normal or not

My thoughts are a Carto is Much Cheaper than a New Provari.

Whenever I have an Issue with a Carto, I don't think Twice. I give it a One Way Ticket to the Trash Can.

ZedPM

Feb 2, 2012
San Jose, CA
The resistance should go up from use.

To sum it up...

The wire resistance is a function of wire diameter and length.

From heating oxidation eats away at the wire diameter combined with elongation (metal stretches with heat) of the wire length the resistance should go up.

I had an atty go out on my LT. New it measured around 3 ohms when it failed it was around 12 ohms.

Hope this helps,

~zed

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

To sum it up...

From heating oxidation eats away at the wire diameter combined with elongation (metal stretches with heat) of the wire length the resistance should go up.

I had an atty go out on my LT. New it measured around 3 ohms when it failed it was around 12 ohms.

Hope this helps,

~zed

Do you think that Unvaporized Hydrocarbons. Ie; “GunK”, build up on the Atomizer Coil/Wick plays some role in Ohm Differential?

Perhaps a Larger Role than Oxidation and Deformation?

And Is Failure of the Atomizer Wire Purely a Function of Ohms or does Residual Heat play some role also.

ZedPM

Feb 2, 2012
San Jose, CA
Do you think that Unvaporized Hydrocarbons. Ie; “GunK”, build up on the Atomizer Coil/Wick plays some role in Ohm Differential?

Perhaps a Larger Role than Oxidation and Deformation?

And Is Failure of the Atomizer Wire Purely a Function of Ohms or does Residual Heat play some role also.

No I don't think the hydrocarbons play a role, hydrocarbons are from organic material. Current will always take the shortest path and bypass whatever the gunk want to contribute.

Basically,

The problem is as the wire diameter shrinks, resistance goes up, it takes more current to power the coil to the point where your PV can no longer provide the power to heat the coil to burn the juice.

Hope this helps zoidman, cool name:)

~zed

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
No I don't think the hydrocarbons play a role, hydrocarbons are from organic material. Current will always take the shortest path and bypass whatever the gunk want to contribute.

Basically,

The problem is as the wire diameter shrinks, resistance goes up, it takes more current to power the coil to the point where your PV can no longer provide the power to heat the coil to burn the juice.

Hope this helps zoidman, cool name:)

~zed

It does help...

Can you speak to my Conjecture that Residual Heat plays Some role in Atomizer Failure?

BTW – Is the “Gunk” that builds up on and Atomizer Coil Wire/Wick Electrical Conductive? I was just wondering. If it is, Shouldn't it’s Function be throw into some Differential Equation of Conductivity?

Then again, if it isn’t Conductive, I guess all it does is act as an Isulatetor(Sp?) or a Conductor of Heat.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA

To sum it up...

As a long time Joye 510 user the ohms will usually drop with use, those are the good ones that still have some life to them. There is no hard fast rule on which way the ohms will go.

YKruss

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Springfield, VA
My observations:

I am using Boge 3.0 Ohms cartos and as long as the juice used of a clear type the resistance is almost the same thru the whole carto life.

On another hand if I started to use juice which was a product of a masserated process then resistance are going down very soon - 1.7 Ohms was the lowest reading. Guess is that this juice still has some tobacco particles and plays role in carto resistance.

But if I start topping of carto with clear, non maccerated, juice then eventually the carto resistance will get back to the original 3.0 Ohms or very close to it.

Shiryo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
SoCal
It seems dual coils are wired in parallel such that two 5 ohm coils will produce 2.5 ohm. If one burns the ohms will increase to 5 ohms. The other way would be to wire in series (2 x 1.25 ohm = 2.5 ohm), but if a coil blew, that would open the circuit and the carto would be dead. It is likely all dual coils are wired in parallel so if one blows, the carto will still work, although reduced efficiency. It is unusual that your ohms dropped off, however it occurs to me that the fluid can conduct electricity, reducing the overall resistance between ground and hot, not enough to vape the liquid, but enough amperage is left over to heat the coil.:blink:

I'm no expert, but I have a basic understanding of Ohm's Law and find this fascinating. If the carto is vaping fine, who cares? Vape on dude, vape on.:vapor:

Ignore the voltages below, this just shows series vs. parallel wiring of solar cells. Imagine the cell arrays are coils.

This is the OP's answer. Happened to me, one of my DCC's bumped up to 4.4ohms due to one of the coils popping. No big deal, just has a crappy vape on standard voltage. Since you have a Provari, should have just raised the volts and you'd be good to go. You wouldn't hurt the carto any more than it was, and the ProVari won't get hurt. It's a ProVari, one of the biggest safety-whoring PVs out there.

i got a issue that is driving me mad.. first of all a batch of 3ohm boge single coils, they dropped from 3 ohms to 2 ohms and lower within a few hours of use . so of course i felt ok there a bad batch and ordered some 2.7 ohms boge and 3.0 ohm smoktech both single coils .. now i test the ohms on the smoktech and it shows 3.2 but after one day it is down to 2.5 ohms ! can a pv cause this issue is my first question? i did keep the smoktech to my provari mini incase is whats my older lavatube causing it ,, but as it happened again if it's the pv i has to be the provari ! any ideas would be greatfully received thank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread