Status
Not open for further replies.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
I was trying to make a point that the OP should mention the possible chemicals\health risks involved with vaping since he created a blog to educate people. It would be unfair to tell people about the good things involved with vaping without mentioning the dangers. The information needs to be out there so people can make an educated decision about what they put in their bodies.

Edwv30, this isn't just for you but what are the dangers of vaping?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Edwv30, this isn't just for you but what are the dangers of vaping?
Basically, it is the chemicals in the flavorings that are the main concern in this whole equation.
And almost none of them have been studied for inhalation safety.

I would suggest doing a search for diacetyl as an example of the potential issues.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
Basically, it is the chemicals in the flavorings that are the main concern in this whole equation.
And almost none of them have been studied for inhalation safety.

I would suggest doing a search for diacetyl as an example of the potential issues.

So we have possible allergies with the liquid and I would include flavorings with that. The flavoring is an issue because we don't know what is in the major brands even if the suppliers tell us which ones they are using. We also have no way knowing what else suppliers may be putting into the liquids.

I have done a lot of reading about diacytal when I first started vaping. That and the other reasons above are a major factor in why I am now mixing my own ejuice. It all boils down to that I can't tell people vaping is safe but that I believe it is safer than tobacco.

Dob_Bobolina

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
So, after doing a lot of digging around the internet and casaa.org, clearly a lot of tests have been run on e cigs, and they do show to be up to 1000x better for you than smoking cigarettes... but what you are saying is nobody has ever tested the chemicals in the flavorings? didn't those have to be included in these tests? They are in the liquid..

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
So, after doing a lot of digging around the internet and casaa.org, clearly a lot of tests have been run on e cigs, and they do show to be up to 1000x better for you than smoking cigarettes... but what you are saying is nobody has ever tested the chemicals in the flavorings? didn't those have to be included in these tests? They are in the liquid..

FDA approved flavoring chemicals have been tested for food not for vaping. Diacytal (a butter Flavor) is an example of a safe FDA approved food flavoring that can destroy your lungs when inhaled. I don't know of any tests that were done for inhaling food flavorings that would qualify for FDA approval and that would include PV and VG.

Last edited:

Spills

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
New York
I like the article. Im no good at grammer myself all that matters is can I read and understand it. Only thing I wasnt fond of is the defensive stance the article seemed to take. Kinda like...Drugs will kill brain cells but so does shaking your head rapidly. The facts mam just the facts. What caffiene does doesnt concern me. And it doesnt make nicotine sound better if the 2 compare.

Dob_Bobolina

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
Fresno, CA
www.ecigology.com
FDA approved flavoring chemicals have been tested for food not for vaping. Diacytal (a butter Flavor) is an example of a safe FDA approved food flavoring that can destroy your lungs when inhaled. I don't know of any tests that were done for inhaling food flavorings that would qualify for FDA approval and that would include PV and VG.

So only FDA approval means its really safe is what you are saying. I don't mean that in a rude way, but I dont think that because a government agency approves/does not approve means its actually safe/un-safe, right? They let cigarettes exist....

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
So only FDA approval means its really safe is what you are saying. I don't mean that in a rude way, but I dont think that because a government agency approves/does not approve means its actually safe/un-safe, right? They let cigarettes exist....

If vaping had been around for twenty years and nobody died from it I would say it is safe with or without FDA approval. The FDA has also made mistakes in approving things that weren't safe. Just the same I don't want to be vaping chemicals that don't at least have FDA approval for human consumption. Others can make their own choices and they may be right. Bob I didn't take anything you said as a criticism of me. Besides I can be wrong about almost anything when it comes to this subject. My ignorance vastly outweighs my knowledge on this.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I've asked this before in other threads, but how do people expect to be shown that e-cigs are safe to use for 20+ years without them being used for 20+ years? How can researchers possibly prove it one way or the other? Really, all researchers can do is test extreme exposure on lab animals, which still doesn't always show if something is safe or not for humans. Then all they can do is test the ingredients for known carcinogens or known toxicity and estimate that they would be ok if those levels are low.

The fact of the matter is, there is no way to know the long-term effects of e-cigarettes until they have been used by humans long-term.

Consider how sacchrin was considered dangerous for human consumption AFTER it had been on the market for years and now it has been taken back off the danger list and is considered safe again. Or how Chantix was approved and it's dangers only came out after it had real-life use. I know people want reassurance, but I'm convinced that there is really just no way to know the long-term effects of vaping with any lab tests. Unforunately that makes us, as first generation vapers, the guinnea pigs. But eventually someone is going to have to be.

Last edited:

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
guinea-pig-6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread