Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
micro coils are great, I've only done a couple so far, and the one I tried on an aga-t didn't turn out well, but I think that was due to my lack of skill. I just got a chimbus(nimbus clone) and I've got a micro running on it and it hits like my genesis, but with half the puff time, and brighter flavor. Check out this thread for some great ideas/tips http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...271-micro-coils-increase-vapor-flavor-th.html

Also, if I ever make it to one of our vape meets, we can compare :D

Discord

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Portland, OR, USA
I'm really digging a microcoil in my ProTank rebuilds. It gives the same kind of resistance as you'd get in a stock setup, but with a massively better vape, more flavor, more vapor, more TH. I wrap the screwdriver head on my leatherman (about the same size as a jewelers screwdriver) 10 times around with 30ga and get about 1.8Ω, which lets me use it easily on any of my mods, but produces similar results to doing a subΩ on a mechanical.

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
You can roll up a micro coil for just about any atty. The micro coil thread is pretty big but you should skim through it. It is possible in a genny. Gdeal did one (yesterday?) in a genesis atty.

In my opinion they are best suited for a dripping atty, especially if it has a hole in the bottom by which fresh juice is delivered to the wick and coil.

The advantage is a magical secret that people take really good guesses at. It is undeniable though that they produce some incredible delicious vapor. They produce more vapor than a "normal" coil at equal resistance. Used in a regulated device you can get a super-low-resistance kind of vape from a coil that measures above 1.2ohm (lowest resistance most regulated devices will fire)
Used in a mechanical device and you can get a vape that will knock your socks off at... less than 1.2ohm

edit - sorry for the redundancies.. I type slow :p

Last edited:

Osaton

Mar 12, 2013
Russia
Regarding the explanation for the micro coils' unusual properties: when you get a dry hit on a micro coil with cotton wicking, pay attention to the taste of said dry hit. You'll notice that there's no taste of partially-burnt glycerine, unlike on other coils: there's only the taste of cotton smoke.

This unusual phenomenon has led me to believe that the micro coils' secret is in the fact that they're heating the entirety of the wicking material within the coil rather than only the volume directly surrounding the wire.

That, in turn, would allow for two things: the high vaporization rate, because heat applied to all of the wicking material leads to all of the liquid there evaporating at the same time, and the lack of noticeable temperature gradient within the wicking material, because heat is mostly spent on evaporating the liquid, has no local peaks and thus spreads relatively uniformly. The uniform temperature gradient, in turn, means that the vapor doesn't have to go through overheated wicking material that may cause it to oxidize; in other words, it leads to higher taste quality.

*Note, however, that this is only a hypothesis and I don't have the means to validate it experimentally, so it may turn out to be wrong.

UPD: Oh, whoops, didn't notice that OP's question wasn't why micro coils work so well, but rather why we like micro coils. Here's the answer to that question:

1) These things vape like beasts. A single 2.7 ohm single micro coil I'm currently using puts out tastier, thicker, bigger clouds of vapor than a 1.3 ohm double coil does on the same RDA.

2) A good micro coil is easier to build than a good normal coil: you don't have to eliminate hot spots or worry about whether there is enough space between the wraps. Just wrap it as tight as you can, then press the wraps together and that's it: you've got yourself a good coil.

3) Micro coils work on lower wattages and (theoretically) have less heat dissipation; they don't heat the atomizers to scalding temperatures during heavy use. I like having my lips intact and my fingertips sensitive.

4) Many configurations with micro coils perform extremely well below the 2A current limit, unlike most other types of coils. I just like the idea that we can use eGo-type devices and even analog lookalikes to achieve the kind of performance that was, until recently, only reachable with the use of mechanical mods and IMR batteries.

Last edited:

gotalotgoingon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Nebraska/Dutch Harbor, AK
I've been hearing some stuff about micro coils lately and I was wondering, why do you think micro coils better than other types of coils?

I haven't done the research on this, so please be kind.
:oops:

Also, would this be usable with an RBA (not just an RDA)?

My advice, try it out for yourself. I can tell you that I will never use a standard coil again.
I have rebuilt two protank heads using micros and cotton. Much better then the stock heads. Wish kanger would get their heads into the game.....

Osaton

Mar 12, 2013
Russia
Right now, I am suffering from heat, chain vape. If micro coils creates more heat, to the tank and mod, I feel a little lazy to try. How much more heat does it create?

A lot less: I barely feel the Octopus heat up with a 2.7 ohm (9/10 wrap 32awg) micro coil even when chain vaping. The vape is a bit on the cool side, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread