are my batteries good enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
At the present moment, there is really no such thing as an [easily, widely obtainable] 18650 battery with greater than (or even really equal to) 30A continuous discharge AFAIK. There are a few with 22 or possibly 25A continuous discharge, but usually at the expense of mAh. Some vape companies who rewrap batteries are notorious for inflating their amp ratings to make the battery look better than it is or sometimes using the pulse amp limit as the advertised continuous discharge. It's a little unclear what brand batteries you are using in your ipv4, but if it's the red AW IMR 3000mAh, those are 20A batteries, not 30A. They are fine, though, especially with two.

Those Imren 3500mAhs are less fine, because you're only using one and it is NOT a 30A battery. They are rated for 10A continuous. In this case, I would recommend getting a battery with a higher amp rating. Of course, the Evic Mini is a regulated mod and should have a certain degree of protection built in for some of these things, but still. Use a more appropriate battery for higher wattage vaping, a term which easily applies to 40-50 watts. At .4Ω and 40w, that's 10A right there, just for example. The amp rating is a limit, not a number to be met and surpassed. Give yourself some more room.

I don't want to say anything to belittle you and this is somewhat less of an issue than if you were using mechanical mods. However, anything more than an eGo is considered an advanced device-- double that if you're subohming, which I'm guessing is the case at 40-50w. It is incredibly important that the people using these devices are educated on battery safety and ohm's law, and frankly it's pretty clear that you need to do a little bit more research. Mistaking a 10A battery for 30A is no small deal, and that means you either blindly trusted wrong information, don't know how to check for yourself, don't know that vendors/manufacturers sometimes lie about these numbers, or some combination of all of them. If you need any more help with this you are welcome to contact me privately, though there is tons of information already on this forum.

If you have a C-rating for your battery, you can check the amps yourself by dividing the mAh by 1000 and multiplying that number by the C rating, to equal maximum continuous discharge. If you can't find a C-rating, look around at some other vendors. I found immediately on IMRBatteries that your 3500mAh Imrens are really only 10A continuous.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobbyV
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread