Are PMMA tanks safe for "tank cracking" liquids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traijan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
USA
Hi,

I've been looking around at some tanks that only come with a PMMA tank (although you can spend more and buy a glass replacement for another tank that will also fit the tank I've been looking at) and I'm just concerned that the eliquids that I like such as my Hot Cinnamon and some of the more acidic type of juices that my wife like will end up cracking them.

Is it only "plastic" tanks that suffer the issue of tank cracking with such e-liquids, or do the PMMA tanks also have an issue with tank cracking with such e-liquids?

I did search out PMMA and found where a website said that it's basically a type of plastic so this got me to wondering whether I will want to buy a new tank with a PMMA tank and have to go to the expense of buying a glass replacement tank for it too thus taking something that might be an excellent buy and turning it into an only fair to good buy.

Thanks

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
PMMA is basically acrylic, and is a step down in quality from polycarbonate. Whenever you hear of tanks cracking/melting with certain liquids, it's usually polycarbonate. PMMA is even worse. The problem is that they're at the bottom of the list for chemical resistance, so they don't play nice with the chemicals in certain flavorings. So if you vape any of the flavors that are known to crack tanks, you'd be better off with glass.

For non-tank-cracking juices though, PMMA is actually preferred over polycarbonate (even though it's not as tough), because it doesn't leach BPAs.

Reactions: misterD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread