Are there any RTA's that dont get crazy hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dublin203

Mar 2, 2016
So my only tank is the SMOK TFV4 (I also have a similar issue with my velocity rda) I tend to chain vape in my car and at home, but my tfv4 gets extremely hot. I've tried all the atomizers (including the rebuildable atomizer) for it accept for the temp control ones. But it gets very hot especially at the base, so hot at times that I can't touch it. This is with airflow wide open on the tfv4, and the airflow on the mouth piece doesn't seem to have an affect on the temp of the tank. I usually vape it around 90-100w, but I have tried bumping that down to 65 and it doesn't help, 65w is the lowest I'm going to go because the whole point of the tfv4 is good vape and flavor production and I don't get either below about 65w
My question is if there are any tanks that reduce this issue? My only rda is the velocity (non clone) and I have a similar issue where it gets uncomfortablely hot after a while but with the velocity it's not as big of an issue

Dublin203

Mar 2, 2016
100 Watts is a Lot of Power to put into a RTA.

Not sure how many there are that would Not get Hot?
That's why I've been trying to keep it around 65-70 but even then it gets so hot that it's pretty painful to touch. I don't mind if they get hot but less so would be good, something I can chain vape without the fluid thinning out so much and without it hurting me. Also being able to change the atomizer without needing to use 2 plyers at once just to get the tank spereated would be very nice

Reactions: aceman3330

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That's why I've been trying to keep it around 65-70 but even then it gets so hot that it's pretty painful to touch. I don't mind if they get hot but less so would be good, something I can chain vape without the fluid thinning out so much and without it hurting me. Also being able to change the atomizer without needing to use 2 plyers at once just to get the tank spereated would be very nice

I wish I could Help You. I just don't know of any RTA's that would perform at that type of Watts.

What kind of Builds are you using?

Dublin203

Mar 2, 2016
I wish I could Help You. I just don't know of any RTA's that would perform at that type of Watts.

What kind of Builds are you using?
In the tfv4 o use the 4, 6, and 8 coil atomizers, in the rebuildable atomizer I'm still using the prebuilt coils that came with it (.74ohms, 6 wraps). On my velocity rda it's usually a dual coil build with 7-9 wraps of 22g kanthal which puts .29-.36 ohms

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
In the tfv4 o use the 4, 6, and 8 coil atomizers, in the rebuildable atomizer I'm still using the prebuilt coils that came with it (.74ohms, 6 wraps). On my velocity rda it's usually a dual coil build with 7-9 wraps of 22g kanthal which puts .29-.36 ohms

Gotcha.

Like I said, I wish I could think of Something. But I'm sure someone will come along and have a Suggestion.

BTW - Welcome to the ECF.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Yeah, it's not anything urgent, it cools down after about 5 or 10 minutes but fingers crossed that someone's made something to fix this issue

The higher the watts you run, the more power AKA heat in this case you're pumping into your atty per second.

You can take more heat out of the atomizer per second by drawing faster, so more air moves through it and takes the heat with it.

I don't think there is much that can be done to change this scenario. It's basic physics. A bigger atty will take longer to heat up, but then it will also take longer to cool down. More open air flow will make it easier to take faster drags, but you have to drag faster and handle that.

Reactions: sonicbomb

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Sounds like you need to carry more gear. Having 3 or 4 set-ups with you and only taking a couple hits off each one before rotating to the next device would probably be the best way to spread that much heat around. Over heating the battery would concern me more than overheating the tank, they are sort of attached and if the tank is too hot to touch, the batt won't be far behind.Just my opinion.
Be careful out there eh! Cheers.

milandjikic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
NHF but TVF4 is all but a good RTA or what ever would you call it. On 65W the flavor production no matter the coil inside is just non existing. You can get some vapor, but flavor is way way under any other tank.

Such powers are not for chain vaping, and there is no tank that can sustain so much power for chain vape.
Sometimes when i'm really cranky i'll chain vape on a Subtank mini at around 35-40W, at that point it produces decent vapor, gives plenty of flavor and the vape is on the warm side, but it will heat up pretty fast. Same goes for anything else, so the answer is pretty much no. You won't find a device that can sustain so much power on a prolonged period.
I can only recommend that you buy some more decent RTA, like Boreas, or maybe Griffin if you are into making your own coils, go for a higher nicotine, or if you don't use nicotine any more then switch to a 3mg, and lower the power to around 40-50W point. That will give you more time before the atty gets crazy hot.

Headinthecloud

Apr 20, 2016
Dallas
What kind of batteries are you using? That can have an effect as well as the mod's chipset. If it uses a cheap chip, it won't handle the current very well and will overheat. Like my VF Stout (26650 battery) can get very hot because it has a cheap, crappy Joyetech chipset. But my Asmodus Minikin barely gets hot even at high wattage.

If you want great flavor and vapor production at lower wattage, get a Theorem RTA. I've had mine close to a week and I love it. It's great in temp control and power mode. I don't even have to go above 50 watts with the included notch coil and the clouds are huge with unprecedented flavor.

I also have a tfv4 mini and it gets hot and the flavor sucks. So I suggest an upgrade. There are great tanks out there now for under $40. The moonshot is a good one too.

But yeah, you may want to research your mod's chipset and see if it might be that causing all the heat. If so, a new low wattage tank may be exactly what you need. Or a new mod

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
I'm sure there are RTAs out there that could possibly provide 100W of chain vaping with the right build BUT you're going to need ALOT of airflow to cool that sucker down.

Couple of well known airy RTAs were mentioned already (supreme, boreas). the Herakles RTA is also very airy. Griffin 25mm with top air flow control and bottom fully open might also be able to do this along with the gemini 25mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread